Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Jan 20, 9:25 AM
    • 17,031Posts
    • 145,900Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food Hate Waste 2020
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:25 AM
    Love Food Hate Waste 2020 15th Jan 20 at 9:25 AM
    Hello chums just thought as its a new decade and New Year we should update things a bit .Since I started a couple of years ago it has grown into lots of lovely folk writing in and saying how they have managed to streeetch their food out a bit, and no longer bin things as they did .I am really pleased and think all of you deserve a bit pat on the back for all your efforts.

So much food is bought and ends up in landfill its really as bad as the dumping of plastic waste Ok it eventually decays ,but think of the space its taking up at the same time, its another precious resource that being wasted

So it would be interesting to see how much the LFHW has changed your attitudes to buying and stocking foodstuff and how much its changed the way you shop and cook,

So get writing chums and lets see how things have changed for you just buy even perhaps stopping and thinking ' Hmm perhaps I can use this in something else tomorrow '

It's become second nature to me now ,although I must admit I have never been keen on throwing good food in the bin, but that's more of a generational thing as I grew up with war time rationing when virtually nothing was wasted at all

So let's hear about your triumphs and disasters in LFHW

Cheers JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 1
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Jan 20, 1:33 PM
    • 17,031 Posts
    • 145,900 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:33 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:33 PM
    Just had a rummage in the freezer and decided that tonights dinner will be a couple of grilled sausages and one of my bubble and squeak burgers that I made last week with a poached egg on top. apart from the egg the rest were in mt freezer so another low cost dinner tonight I have some pears in the bottom of my fridge which I will have after for pudding, again nothing bought but everything from existing food stocks
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 15th Jan 20, 1:41 PM
    • 4,819 Posts
    • 7,806 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:41 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:41 PM
    I made a delicious lentil lasagne yesterday. The lasagne packet had got pushed to the back of the cupboard - it had a sell by date of August 2015!
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 15th Jan 20, 5:38 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:38 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:38 PM
    Dinner last night was roast dinner pasties which I made with all the leftovers from Christmas dinner and had put in the freezer. Was really nice not to have to cook. Life is pretty hectic at the moment!!
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 15th Jan 20, 5:45 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 9,123 Thanks
    YorksLass
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:45 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:45 PM
    Hi Jackie, thanks for setting up a new thread for 2020. I was thinking only the other day how the original thread has grown (1.9k replies, not forgetting we lost a lot of posts too so it would probably have gone over the 2k mark).

Although I've never really wasted much food in the past I have found myself doing things differently. Now I know exactly what I have in (fridge, freezer, cupboards); I do a meal plan every week based around what I already have; often substitute items instead of buying more; stick to my shopping list better and pay in cash rather than use a card. I used to do online shops for delivery once or twice a month - now it's once every two months. I still look out for ys items and other bargains but am more selective now about which ones I'll spend hard cash on. I have a £3 MOC to use by the end of this week but I'd need to spend £40 first, so I've decided not to bother. After all, I'm only planning to do a small shop on Friday and that should only cost around £10.

I use the SC, MW and air fryer a lot more instead of putting the big oven on and I've noticed I'm not spending as much on electricity (added bonus), The SC provides double, sometimes triple, quantities when batch cooking so plenty of hm "ready meals" in the freezer too.

I decided to make January a "spend as little as possible" month and so far have spent £50.24 on groceries (for two people). Freezer contents will provide the bulk of meals for the rest of the month and I'll only need to buy milk plus F&V, so I'm aiming to have a decent surplus to divert to our holiday pot.

You're right, our food is much too precious a resource to waste - you might just as well open your purse, hold it over the bin and tip all your cash in there.

Looking forward to others' thoughts.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 15th Jan 20, 6:42 PM
    • 27,778 Posts
    • 118,576 Thanks
    candygirl
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:42 PM
    Yaay.So glad this thread is back
    I've used up wilted carrots, celery, n onions, n made a yummy soup, with a squirt of garlic n chilli of course Had it with crunchy tiger bread n it was delish
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • kacie
    • By kacie 15th Jan 20, 6:42 PM
    • 829 Posts
    • 2,773 Thanks
    kacie
    Just thinking about switching to more frozen veg as I always end up throwing some away, it's such a waste but I do prefer fresh and they are all too much for me as a single, root veg I will easily make soup with but things like cabbage I end up wasting.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 15th Jan 20, 6:45 PM
    • 27,778 Posts
    • 118,576 Thanks
    candygirl
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:45 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:45 PM
    Just thinking about switching to more frozen veg as I always end up throwing some away, it's such a waste but I do prefer fresh and they are all too much for me as a single, root veg I will easily make soup with but things like cabbage I end up wasting.
    Originally posted by kacie
    I always get frozen leeks, n cauli, otherwise they just go off .Carrots have to be fresh, as I have a pooch that's addicted to them

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • kacie
    • By kacie 15th Jan 20, 6:48 PM
    • 829 Posts
    • 2,773 Thanks
    kacie
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:48 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:48 PM
    I always get frozen leeks, n cauli, otherwise they just go off .Carrots have to be fresh, as I have a pooch that's addicted to them
    Originally posted by candygirl
    Leeks I get fresh as if I don't use them up I make a batch of creamed leeks and freeze that, thanks for the reminder that I have carrots to use up too! I forgot about those!

I do like frozen parsnips though, thinking might get some frozen sweetcorn to try.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Jan 20, 10:23 PM
    • 17,031 Posts
    • 145,900 Thanks
    JackieO
    I bought in my F&V as of part my last shop last Friday a sweetheart cabbage and a cauliflower .Both of which I wrapped in foil and keep in my fridge. I had a quarter of the cauli on Monday night with my dinner, also about a quarter of the cabbage.both rewrapped and back in the fridge.I steam my veg and along with the green veg which I cooked on the top half of the steamer ,in the bottom bit I had a couple of peeled and sliced carrots as they take a bit more cooking so I always put them in the bottom bit .The rest of the three carrots I had left I topped,tailed, peeled and put in a small bowl of water in the fridge I change the water every couple of days and the carrots keep very well until I need to use them
    I too live alone and have found by wrapping the green stuff in foil it keeps very well.celery is excellent for this as well. I am not over keen on frozen veg ,unless I blanch and do my own fresh stuff, but then it takes up room in my freezer. leeks through can be topped tailed and diced and frozen very well in a bag ,usually if I see them reduced as leks can be a bit on the pricey side at times I certainly won't pay a quid for three of them ,especially if they are going into leek and tattie soup.great for using up the tail end of a bag of potatoes though

I am so pleased that we are all singing from the same sheet and are looking for ways to make our cash go that little bit further.

YorksLass I am convinced we are from the same Mum as our ideas are so similar I too think twice about MOC ,if I have to spend £40.00 to save three it hardly seems worth it.
    at the moment being almost halfway through the month I am pleased that so far I have only spent around £24.00 and using my old Mums premise again that necessity is the mother of invention I shall do my best this month to be keeping the costs down as much as possible.
    After all every tanner saved is a bit more towards the holidays
    Candygirl some great ideas, Mum2cheekymonkey they sound really nice Bouicca well done ,I ignore dates on things and use my common sense and nose and I am still alive and kicking I enjoy a veggie lasagnes with tired veg as a nice sauce is very forgiving to veg thats not pretty to look at Y/S especially does well in a veggie lasagne,chilli or curry

well done everyone ,onwards and upwards

JackieO xx
    Last edited by JackieO; 15-01-2020 at 10:31 PM.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 16th Jan 20, 5:43 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 9,123 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Tonight's dinner is beef stroganoff and rice. I have everything I need barring some red peppers; even the ones I had in the freezer have been used. Not to worry, I'll substitute those with finely chopped red chillies and green beans. Afters, if needed, can be a piece of fruit.

My freezer veg tends to be bags of peas and beans (green, broad and edamame) and I'll also add fresh such as chopped leeks, celery and peppers. For green veggies and carrots I prefer fresh and find they keep well in the salad drawer of the fridge. I have a red cabbage to braise with apples and onions sometime over the weekend in the SC so I'll end up with around 6 portions for the freezer. We like this hot or cold as a "different" side.

I don't need any fruit this week (bought enough last Friday) but am getting very low on fresh veg. Other than the aforementioned red cabbage there's only half a small swede in the fridge so carrots, onion and potatoes are top of the list.
    Last edited by YorksLass; 16-01-2020 at 5:52 PM. Reason: Pressed Submit too soon!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 17th Jan 20, 12:27 AM
    • 32,434 Posts
    • 67,403 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I made a delicious lentil lasagne yesterday.
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    Recipe please?

Carrots have to be fresh, as I have a pooch that's addicted to them
    Originally posted by candygirl
    I can identify with your doggie, I get through lots of carrots myself! Just didn't realise that it was something you could feed a dog with, but having googled it my eyes have been opened.

I did some mega-batch cooking just before the NY, got hold of some huge packets of spinach YS at just 10p each and that got turned into saag with mushrooms and paneer. Plus I used up all the cheap Christmas veg that was loitering at the bottom of my fridge, and that was turned into a huge vat of soup. Once cooled it was all packed up, and I froze a total of 26 meal servings. A real bargain and should see me through the coldest winter months if I want something hot to eat . I thought I'd done my bit for services to the kitchen for this month, but the thought of lentil lasagne might well tempt me back in that direction...
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 17th Jan 20, 8:25 AM
    • 4,819 Posts
    • 7,806 Thanks
    bouicca21
    The lentil lasagne recipe was the one using puy lentils on the BBC website
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/puy_lentil_lasagne_23244

I upgraded the mushrooms to shiitake, and I had to cook the lentils longer than the recipe said. Because I’m on my own I halved the recipe, it still resulted in enough for 3 portions.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th Jan 20, 1:56 PM
    • 17,031 Posts
    • 145,900 Thanks
    JackieO
    bouicca21 I have bookmarked the recipe,thank you as I have some puy lentils in the cupboard that one of my grandsons forget to take with him after Christmas after he went back to London where he now lives .Soon as I have some space in the freezer I shall make a big lasagne and portion it up so when he comes home in a few weeks time for my birthday he can take some frozen portions back with him,he teaches in London so after his hours commute back to Mitchum from Edgware he is often to tired to cook properly, He is a primary school teacher and loves his job and has cut right back on meat based meals through being on the lowest rung of the teaching ladder and having to pay a fair chunk of his wages in shared rental.Every little helps for him

Just been for my weekly essential shop and spent £16.70 so my monthly total now is just under £41.00. Quite pleased with that and fingers crossed next Friday's shop will be lower as I have sorted out the menu's for the rest of the month and a quick look through stocks I think very little to buy for the rest of the month ,perhaps some more veg maybe.

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
    • ellas9602
    • By ellas9602 17th Jan 20, 1:59 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 907 Thanks
    ellas9602
    Hello LFHWrs

I have taken to visiting Aldi at 7pm each evening when they mark down to half price. My freezer is absolutely bursting and I donít think we will need any meat for at least a month. They reduce the stuff ready for the early morning shoppers the next day so anything bought that night still has a good days use by on.

I canít list all Iíve bought but it included 2 x free range chicken, 2 x beef joints, mince, stew steak, fish and a large pork plus tons of veg/sides/sundries.

First of the chickens (£2.14!)was shared by me DH and adult DD yesterday with a lovely winter slaw from Xmas red cabbage that was still good (included green spring onion tops before they go lank) and celeriac (50% off )chips . Celeriac was huge so half is cubed and frozen to bung into a stew.

I also got half price baby spinach x 2 so made 9 big portions of a lentil/saag curry base. One portion has the leftover chicken and is for tonightís tea, remainder frozen. Finally one well reduced portion of chicken stock and a full days dog food for big dog! Iím a happy bunny!
    • ellas9602
    • By ellas9602 17th Jan 20, 2:20 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 907 Thanks
    ellas9602
    I also wanted to add my DHs food saving this week. We bought a jar of “potted cheddar” for Christmas. I’m not fussy AT ALL but it was really unpleasant ��. DH boiled some cabbage and broccoli, made a white sauce and added in the potted stuff. Grated Parmesan and nutmeg over his “vegetable gratin”,baked til bubbling and it was a deliciously different side to two meals this week.
    Last edited by ellas9602; 17-01-2020 at 2:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 17th Jan 20, 2:22 PM
    • 564 Posts
    • 3,007 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Re-purposing leftovers is one of my fave things to do!! Rarely any waste in this house and this year I'm going for none at all!!
    MFW 2019 No. 58 - DONE - MF as of 21/11/19
    2020 Targets - Grocery Challenge £0/£3600;Car £0/£4000 Holidays £800/£10500; Garden £0/£10000; Debts £300/£13000
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 17th Jan 20, 3:56 PM
    • 27,778 Posts
    • 118,576 Thanks
    candygirl
    Recipe please?

I can identify with your doggie, I get through lots of carrots myself! Just didn't realise that it was something you could feed a dog with, but having googled it my eyes ...
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Yea all my pups have teethed on frozen carrots, n when they grow up they have at least one a day.Keeps their teeth perfect

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 17th Jan 20, 6:29 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 9,123 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Friday shop done, just £8.76 spent. Decided not to bother with carrots and onions after all as I don't need them this week so have put them on next week's list. Bought: milk, lard (I use it for pastry), potatoes, sprouts (yes, we like them ), cooked meat for sandwiches (lunch tongue and turkey), eggs, 2 ys avocados and a ys apricot swiss roll. Oh, and 2 rolls of Xmas wrapping paper for 20p each.

I've noticed on my two shopping trips this year that some items seem to be creeping up in price again. I'm sure retailers think we won't notice the odd 5p or 10p here and there, but it soon adds up so I shall be giving the old grey cells a good work-out so I can stay within budget.

Jackie: Yes, our ideas do seem similar. My basic cooking skills came from mum who got hers from my paternal grandmother, a Yorkshire woman through and through. Grandma never had much money but, with 7 children, had to make the pennies work hard. Not to mention rationing through two WWs and being deserted by her husband. Mum was what I'd call a "plain" cook but her meals always tasted much nicer than any her older sisters could make.

Dinner tonight is the usual battered fish from the chippy with hm mushy peas. I buy packets of dried peas for 60-65p each (depending on where I shop) and each packet makes either 6 decent portions or 4 generous ones, so it's always some for now and some for the freezer.

ellas9602: Your mention of potted cheese has just jogged my memory about making some from all the bits of Xmas cheese that are floating about in the fridge. Another job for the "to do" list.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 17th Jan 20, 6:36 PM
    • 5,819 Posts
    • 9,890 Thanks
    Nick_C
    I've started buying pineapples a lot. They are so cheap, healthy, and filling, and I'm having pineapple for breakfast a couple of times a week.

However, the amount of food waste I produce is tripling as a result.

It would be much more environmentally friendly to buy pineapple that was prepared locally in Costa Rica and packed in plastic, instead of flying that food waste 5000 miles.

Nothing wrong with plastic packaging in the right circumstances!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,109Posts Today

6,428Users online

Martin's Twitter