Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pickledonionspaceraider
    • By pickledonionspaceraider 14th Jan 20, 9:17 PM
    • 1,830Posts
    • 4,277Thanks
    pickledonionspaceraider
    Who does two jobs?
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:17 PM
    Who does two jobs? 14th Jan 20 at 9:17 PM
    Hi there

Does anyone do two jobs, one main job and one part time?

How does it work for you?
    'Entitled' and 'Snowflake' = buzz words, of the passive aggressive..they are not even a 'thing'.
Page 1
    • frugalandsave
    • By frugalandsave 15th Jan 20, 11:36 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    frugalandsave
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:36 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:36 AM
    Hi,
    I have a full time job 40-45 hrs a week with some occasional travel. I used to have a set part time job (15 hrs) in the evenings to supplement my savings for a wedding we had about 4 years ago. I did that for about a year, it was fairly tiring but worth it. It helped me to save some money for first home, pay down debts i had, and pay towards wedding and honeymoon. But i was in the 20 % tax bracket then and still remained under that having the part time job.

For the last few months i did some online jobs for Appen, like rating adverts and the like and that was like 5 hrs a week. Nice and easy and from the comfort from my home. So this is flexible, although the project i did is now closed. Now i do some more Swagbucks until i get another Project with Appen.

I thought about a a part time job, but i have now the nice problem of it pushing me into the higher tax bracket, so i dont bother to much. I monitor it and if it does with the little projects i have, then i increase my work pension contribution. Also i dont want to work an additional 15 hrs a week away from home, as its not just me anymore. I prefer spending some more time with the wife.

To supplement a bit more, we do some bank switches a year and collect some additional points with other credit card companies.
    • By pickledonionspaceraider 15th Jan 20, 12:09 PM
    • 1,830 Posts
    • 4,277 Thanks
    pickledonionspaceraider
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:09 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:09 PM
    Thanks for responding. I either need to take on a second income or I need to get one better paid job

Problem is, although I wish I earned more, I really like my full time job. So I don't really know

I need to sort my head out
    'Entitled' and 'Snowflake' = buzz words, of the passive aggressive..they are not even a 'thing'.
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 15th Jan 20, 12:15 PM
    • 5,199 Posts
    • 4,840 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:15 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:15 PM
    I used to hold down three jobs, working from 0600-2000 each day. It was only possible to do this for about 9 months before I became 'burnt out'. I was exhausted all the time. It helped me get to grips with my debt though...a good temporary solution...so it was beneficial overall.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• noobinvestor
    • By noobinvestor 15th Jan 20, 12:16 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    noobinvestor
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:16 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:16 PM
    Have you asked for overtime?
    • Loanranger21
    • By Loanranger21 15th Jan 20, 12:20 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Loanranger21
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:20 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:20 PM
    I used to have a full time professional job and a part time 20 hour a week in a call centre. I needed to do this because I lived alone with a mortgage rate of about 14 per cent. I t was hard but doable. Alternative was to sell my car or my body!. No one would have wanted either so I got the second job and worked 58 hours a week. An unintended consequence was that I had no time to spend any money nor go out much.
    • pepita
    • By pepita 15th Jan 20, 1:36 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    pepita
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:36 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 1:36 PM
    I have held 1 full time and a part time in Sainsburys. It was nice as I had the 10% stuff discount, did the shopping when my shifts finished and allow to pay up all my credit card debt. Once i got a job promotion on my main job and went to next tax bracket, it just didn't make any more sense.
    I sometimes think myself that I should have kept the Sainsburysjob, but after 18 months working 60 hours a week, you will feel the consequences: always tired, grumpy and not living.
    But, If in the future I need it for financial reasons, I wouldn't hesitate to have 2 jobs again.
    Just make sure tax man doesn't keep most of your 2nd job hard earned money!
    • By pickledonionspaceraider 15th Jan 20, 3:24 PM
    • 1,830 Posts
    • 4,277 Thanks
    pickledonionspaceraider
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:24 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:24 PM
    Have you asked for overtime?
    Originally posted by noobinvestor
    There won't be any point (not for profit)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,763Posts Today

6,773Users online

Martin's Twitter