Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lilaczoey
    • By lilaczoey 14th Jan 20, 7:56 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lilaczoey
    how to check where my washing machine gets power from?
    • 14th Jan 20, 7:56 PM
    how to check where my washing machine gets power from? 14th Jan 20 at 7:56 PM
    We're replacing our washing machine, and i want to figure out where our current machine gets its power from (i couldn't move the washing machine myself but i believe it's not plugged in to a socket). There is a FCU above the kitchen counter near the washing machine, and when i switch it off it also switches off the washing machine. However I also discovered a box in the kitchen cupboard unit right next to the washing machine (with nothing on the front of the box), and when I looked inside, it also has 6 wires connected to it. So could it be that the washing machine is wired into this box (as it's closer), and this box gets its electricity from the FCU? How could i check this?

When i get my new machine, would it be ok to wire it directly to this box? Should i ask an electrician to put in a socket just so we can plug the new machine in? I called the manufacturer and they said wiring it in won't void the warranty as long as it's done by a professional (i.e., the person from John Lewis who's going to install it), but I'm just worried that they won't wire it to the box for me.

Thank you!
Page 1
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 14th Jan 20, 8:14 PM
    • 8,938 Posts
    • 7,897 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:14 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:14 PM
    They are normally plugged in to a socket behind the machine which prevents access and have an accessible fused switch. Why do you doubt yours is the same?

I also discovered a box in the kitchen cupboard unit right next to the washing machine (with nothing on the front of the box), and when I looked inside, it also has 6 wires connected to it
    Blue, brown, earth times two? Junction box leading to a socket?
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 14-01-2020 at 8:20 PM.
    Don't harass a hippie, you'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 15th Jan 20, 6:17 PM
    • 2,424 Posts
    • 2,123 Thanks
    AlexMac
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:17 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:17 PM
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8411220
    ?
    • Shaun of the Dead
    • By Shaun of the Dead 15th Jan 20, 6:44 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    Shaun of the Dead
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:44 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 6:44 PM
    I doubt that would diagnose where it gets power from.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 15th Jan 20, 8:54 PM
    • 3,996 Posts
    • 2,654 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:54 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:54 PM
    I doubt that would diagnose where it gets power from.
    Originally posted by Shaun of the Dead

I think that might be a hint that the only way to find out is going to be to pull out the washing machine and have a look behind it.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 15th Jan 20, 11:33 PM
    • 51,150 Posts
    • 64,154 Thanks
    G_M
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:33 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:33 PM
    ...... (i couldn't move the washing machine myself but i believe it's not plugged in to a socket). .....!
    Originally posted by lilaczoey
    Ask a friend to helpyoupul it out. Not all the way, just far enough to look behind.

Where does the wire go.....?
    ** If I include a blue link in my post, click and read it before posting a follow-up question. The answer may be in the link! **
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 16th Jan 20, 11:30 AM
    • 4,141 Posts
    • 3,021 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 16th Jan 20, 11:30 AM
    • 16th Jan 20, 11:30 AM
    Ask a friend to helpyoupul it out. Not all the way, just far enough to look behind.

Where does the wire go.....?
    Originally posted by G_M
    A drop of washing up liquid under each front foot, open the door put hand inside & grab by the top of the drum. Pull forward gently.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 17th Jan 20, 11:11 AM
    • 8,938 Posts
    • 7,897 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 17th Jan 20, 11:11 AM
    • 17th Jan 20, 11:11 AM
    OP, next time you start a thread please mention you will only wait 13 minutes for replies then never return.
    Don't harass a hippie, you'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,174Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter