Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jordan99
    • By jordan99 14th Jan 20, 7:54 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jordan99
    Bathroom extractor fan
    • 14th Jan 20, 7:54 PM
    Bathroom extractor fan 14th Jan 20 at 7:54 PM
    Hi all, so a few weeks ago the extractor fan packed in. Purchased a replacement and fitted to find it doesnt work, so ive returned that one and got a different brand which was a little more expensive. ive also fitted a new light switch which again was a straight swap.

The switch on my landing gives power to the fan, the fan should come on when i turn on the bathroom light. then stay on the timer when i turn the light off.

the fan still doesnt work. if i flick the switch on the landing with the bathroom light on, nothing happens but if i turn the bathroom light off, the light will flash, with every flash the fan moves.

does anyone knows whats happening? everything was a straight swap??

my apologies if that doesnt make great sense.

Thanks all.
Page 1
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 14th Jan 20, 8:02 PM
    • 3,771 Posts
    • 7,343 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:02 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:02 PM
    What sort of light switch? Is it something smart/clever?
    • jordan99
    • By jordan99 14th Jan 20, 8:15 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jordan99
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:15 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:15 PM
    no just a bog standard 3 gang 2 way light switch
    • ianto11
    • By ianto11 14th Jan 20, 8:57 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    ianto11
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:57 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:57 PM
    So are you saying you're using the 3gang 2way to supply the permanent live, and the bathroom light switch to supply then switched live ?
    • jordan99
    • By jordan99 14th Jan 20, 9:04 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jordan99
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:04 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:04 PM
    yes thats correct
    • jordan99
    • By jordan99 14th Jan 20, 9:05 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jordan99
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:05 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:05 PM
    I havent changed any of the wiring, the two things ive done are straight swapps which is why i cant work out why its not working for me
    • ianto11
    • By ianto11 14th Jan 20, 9:10 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    ianto11
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:10 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:10 PM
    Have you actually checked that you have voltage on the permanent and switched lives to the fan...ignore the straight swap..and I presume you're using one of the 3gang as a one way to achieve the permanent live ?
    • victor2
    • By victor2 14th Jan 20, 9:16 PM
    • 5,073 Posts
    • 3,410 Thanks
    victor2
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:16 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:16 PM
    I had a similar sort of problem and it turned out that the circuit to the bathroom light/fan was also going to an outside PIR light. I must have crossed a couple of "live" wires when installing the new fan after the original one failed. Once that was sorted, everything worked as it should. I thought I'd done a straight swap, but clearly hadn't. Double check the wiring and make sure your live and switched live wires aren't getting mixed up.
    • jordan99
    • By jordan99 14th Jan 20, 10:10 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jordan99
    • 14th Jan 20, 10:10 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 10:10 PM
    Ive checked i have power using a mains voltage tester 'screwdriver with the light in it' as i dont have a multi meter, and yes the landing light switch is the permanent live, the bathroom light switch is the live switch & there isnt really anyway im using the incorrect wires as there only 3 there. as for getting the live and switched mixed up, ive tried both ways, both ways have the same result
    • ianto11
    • By ianto11 15th Jan 20, 5:42 AM
    • 218 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    ianto11
    Ive checked i have power using a mains voltage tester 'screwdriver with the light in it' as i dont have a multi meter, and yes the landing light switch is the permanent live, the bathroom light switch is the live switch & there isnt really anyway im using the incorrect wires as there only 3 there. as for getting the live and switched mixed up, ive tried both ways, both ways have the same result
    Originally posted by jordan99
    I presume it goes through a 3pole fan isolator switch also ? As your not checking with a meter you've no idea if you have a neutral present...........neon screwdriver testers are worse than useless
    Last edited by ianto11; 15-01-2020 at 6:08 AM.
    • ianto11
    • By ianto11 15th Jan 20, 5:58 AM
    • 218 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    ianto11
    Hi all, so a few weeks ago the extractor fan packed in. Purchased a replacement and fitted to find it doesnt work, so ive returned that one and got a different brand which was a little more expensive. ive also fitted a new light switch which again was a straight swap

the fan still doesnt work. if i flick the switch on the landing with the bathroom light on, nothing happens but if i turn the bathroom light off, the light will flash, with every flash the fan moves.

does anyone knows whats happening? everything was a straight swap??

my apologies if that doesnt make great sense.

Thanks all.
    Originally posted by jordan99
    Is the landing "light" switch the dedicated supply to the fan ? Or is it also switching lights ?
    Also, original fan packed in, 1st replacement didn't work, 2nd replacement doesn't work ? So either something is awry with the wiring which took the first fan out and the problem is still there....or the wiring is incorrect ?

Either way, you can't fault find it with a neon tester
    Last edited by ianto11; 15-01-2020 at 6:43 AM.
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 15th Jan 20, 7:23 AM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    Risteard
    I would suggest that despite your protestations you've clearly connected it incorrectly and returned a fully functional fan.

Get an Electrician.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 15th Jan 20, 9:36 AM
    • 5,073 Posts
    • 3,410 Thanks
    victor2
    I would suggest that despite your protestations you've clearly connected it incorrectly and returned a fully functional fan.

Get an Electrician.
    Originally posted by Risteard
    As above.

Electrics and bathroom environments don't mix well.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 15th Jan 20, 10:55 AM
    • 11,468 Posts
    • 13,082 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    As above.

Electrics and bathroom environments don't mix well.
    Originally posted by victor2
    Household electrics in any room and lack of competence don't mix well.
    • jordan99
    • By jordan99 15th Jan 20, 3:47 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jordan99
    the original fan has been in the bathroom for over two year (since ive lived here) so the wiring should be fine & its all connected the same way, i took photos for my own peace of mind. looks like i will have to get an electrician out. baffled. thanks anyway guys
    • G_M
    • By G_M 15th Jan 20, 11:42 PM
    • 51,150 Posts
    • 64,155 Thanks
    G_M
    ** If I include a blue link in my post, click and read it before posting a follow-up question. The answer may be in the link! **
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 16th Jan 20, 8:39 PM
    • 3,996 Posts
    • 2,654 Thanks
    Ectophile
    Are you sure it was the original fan that was at fault? Maybe something is wrong with the wiring.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,376Posts Today

4,583Users online

Martin's Twitter