Bathroom extractor fan

Options
Hi all, so a few weeks ago the extractor fan packed in. Purchased a replacement and fitted to find it doesnt work, so ive returned that one and got a different brand which was a little more expensive. ive also fitted a new light switch which again was a straight swap.

The switch on my landing gives power to the fan, the fan should come on when i turn on the bathroom light. then stay on the timer when i turn the light off.

the fan still doesnt work. if i flick the switch on the landing with the bathroom light on, nothing happens but if i turn the bathroom light off, the light will flash, with every flash the fan moves.

does anyone knows whats happening? everything was a straight swap??

my apologies if that doesnt make great sense.

Thanks all.

Comments

• coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    What sort of light switch? Is it something smart/clever?
  • jordan99
    Options
    no just a bog standard 3 gang 2 way light switch
  • ianto11
    ianto11 Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So are you saying you're using the 3gang 2way to supply the permanent live, and the bathroom light switch to supply then switched live ?
  • jordan99
    Options
    yes thats correct
  • jordan99
    Options
    I havent changed any of the wiring, the two things ive done are straight swapps which is why i cant work out why its not working for me
  • ianto11
    Options
    Have you actually checked that you have voltage on the permanent and switched lives to the fan...ignore the straight swap..and I presume you're using one of the 3gang as a one way to achieve the permanent live ?
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had a similar sort of problem and it turned out that the circuit to the bathroom light/fan was also going to an outside PIR light. I must have crossed a couple of "live" wires when installing the new fan after the original one failed. Once that was sorted, everything worked as it should. I thought I'd done a straight swap, but clearly hadn't. Double check the wiring and make sure your live and switched live wires aren't getting mixed up. :)

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• jordan99
    Options
    Ive checked i have power using a mains voltage tester 'screwdriver with the light in it' as i dont have a multi meter, and yes the landing light switch is the permanent live, the bathroom light switch is the live switch & there isnt really anyway im using the incorrect wires as there only 3 there. as for getting the live and switched mixed up, ive tried both ways, both ways have the same result
  • ianto11
    edited 15 January 2020 at 7:08AM
    Options
    jordan99 wrote: »
    Ive checked i have power using a mains voltage tester 'screwdriver with the light in it' as i dont have a multi meter, and yes the landing light switch is the permanent live, the bathroom light switch is the live switch & there isnt really anyway im using the incorrect wires as there only 3 there. as for getting the live and switched mixed up, ive tried both ways, both ways have the same result
    I presume it goes through a 3pole fan isolator switch also ? As your not checking with a meter you've no idea if you have a neutral present...........neon screwdriver testers are worse than useless
  • ianto11
    edited 15 January 2020 at 7:43AM
    Options
    jordan99 wrote: »
    Hi all, so a few weeks ago the extractor fan packed in. Purchased a replacement and fitted to find it doesnt work, so ive returned that one and got a different brand which was a little more expensive. ive also fitted a new light switch which again was a straight swap

the fan still doesnt work. if i flick the switch on the landing with the bathroom light on, nothing happens but if i turn the bathroom light off, the light will flash, with every flash the fan moves.

does anyone knows whats happening? everything was a straight swap??

my apologies if that doesnt make great sense.

Thanks all.
    Is the landing "light" switch the dedicated supply to the fan ? Or is it also switching lights ?
    Also, original fan packed in, 1st replacement didn't work, 2nd replacement doesn't work ? So either something is awry with the wiring which took the first fan out and the problem is still there....or the wiring is incorrect ?

Either way, you can't fault find it with a neon tester
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport