Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 14th Jan 20, 6:29 PM
    • 222Posts
    • 18Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    Wire transfer - refunds?
    • 14th Jan 20, 6:29 PM
    Wire transfer - refunds? 14th Jan 20 at 6:29 PM
    If you sent a large amount of cash to an overseas business account via one of the wire transfer services advertised here (Azimo) funded by a UK debit card account, and there was an issue with the item (didn't arrive, damaged etc), would there be any comeback/protection for the consumer?

I'm sure there will be no issue, but payment cleared yesterday, so awaiting confirmation their end, but I tend to get paranoid with these types of transfers especially higher value.
Page 1
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 14th Jan 20, 6:33 PM
    • 17,909 Posts
    • 14,022 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 14th Jan 20, 6:33 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 6:33 PM
    When you say " advertised here" what exactly do you mean?
    • born again
    • By born again 14th Jan 20, 6:35 PM
    • 1,367 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    born again
    • 14th Jan 20, 6:35 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 6:35 PM
    How can a wire transfer be damaged?

Any refund would have to come from the company concerned.
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 14th Jan 20, 6:49 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    • 14th Jan 20, 6:49 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 6:49 PM
    When you say " advertised here" what exactly do you mean?
    Originally posted by hollydays

Here. As you know, the forum website that you're reading
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 14th Jan 20, 6:51 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    • 14th Jan 20, 6:51 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 6:51 PM
    How can a wire transfer be damaged?

Any refund would have to come from the company 5concerned.
    Originally posted by born again
    I didn't say the wire transfer being damaged, I said ITEM as in, the thing I've purchased.

What I am asking is, do you have any consumer rights for purchases made via international bank transfer funded by a UK bank account, if there is an issue with what you purchased.
    • Jono111
    • By Jono111 14th Jan 20, 6:56 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    Jono111
    • 14th Jan 20, 6:56 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 6:56 PM
    You will have whatever rights there are in the county you purchased from.
    Your bank can't undo a money transfer.
    • born again
    • By born again 14th Jan 20, 8:08 PM
    • 1,367 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    born again
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:08 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:08 PM
    Why pay by wire transfer?

You are losing any rights in case of faulty/damaged or not arriving.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 14th Jan 20, 8:14 PM
    • 14,348 Posts
    • 11,479 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:14 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:14 PM
    Chargeback won't help as you're paying azimo. Azimo won't help as they make it clear in their terms they don't accept such liability for goods or services - that they're solely providing payment/foreign exchange services.

So you've be limited to legal action if something goes wrong, most likely.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 14th Jan 20, 9:26 PM
    • 14,384 Posts
    • 16,801 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:26 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:26 PM
    What I am asking is, do you have any consumer rights for purchases made via international bank transfer funded by a UK bank account, if there is an issue with what you purchased.
    Originally posted by moneysaverz83
    The method of transfer doesn't in itself add any rights - unless the service in question provides its own guarantees, which Azimo doesn't appear to. So if you have difficulties, you're on your own, with whatever consumer rights apply in the country you're buying from.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 14th Jan 20, 10:48 PM
    • 17,909 Posts
    • 14,022 Thanks
    hollydays
    Here. As you know, the forum website that you're reading
    This site doesn't advertise...?!
    If you'd class I'd comments made by us random people as a recommendation..well..you need to re-evaluate
    Last edited by hollydays; 15-01-2020 at 7:04 AM.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 14th Jan 20, 10:59 PM
    • 11,468 Posts
    • 13,082 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    This site doesn't advertise...?!
    If you are class I'd comments made by us random people as a recommendation..well..you need to re-evaluate
    The OP may well have seen this:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/foreign-currency-exchange/

Online services for one-off small payments, from 1
    This is generally suitable for non-urgent transfers of smaller amounts of money. Typical examples include:

Payments for goods received, eg, on eBay.
    Sending a one-off sum of money to a friend/family member overseas, e.g. for Christmas gifts.
    Online-only transfer service Azimo* allows you to send money to most countries in the world and its low fees make it great for sending smaller amounts. Rates are competitive with other companies in this guide though always check.

Plus, if you use promo code: AZ-MSE10, you'll get a 10 gift card to use at a choice of retailers including Tesco, Amazon, iTunes and Google Play. To get it, you must send 200+ and be one of the first 500 to apply.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 14th Jan 20, 11:27 PM
    • 17,909 Posts
    • 14,022 Thanks
    hollydays
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    I can't be a r s e d to read it . Can you do a pr!cis ?
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 14th Jan 20, 11:37 PM
    • 11,468 Posts
    • 13,082 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    It's an MSE write up on money transfer services and the one the OP refers to (Azimo) is specifically mentioned.
    There is also an MSE code you can enter when using the service and this gives you a 10 gift card if you transfer 200+.
    To be fair, it does read like MSE is recommending the company.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 14th Jan 20, 11:44 PM
    • 4,544 Posts
    • 5,587 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    It's an MSE write up on money transfer services and the one the OP refers to (Azimo) is specifically mentioned.
    There is also an MSE code you can enter when using the service and this gives you a 10 gift card if you transfer 200+.
    To be fair, it does read like MSE is recommending the company. got paid to mention them

.................................................. .....
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • NCC-1707
    • By NCC-1707 14th Jan 20, 11:47 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    NCC-1707
    Try reading post No 10 and correcting it please.
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 15th Jan 20, 4:49 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    Thanks for your replies. Basically no rights with azimo?

I've done a couple of high value wire transfer via nationwide with a company I know well. Perfect except fees and rates.

This company, I understand to be reputable, but I've not known them (they're in USA) hence my question if anything went wrong.. Purchase amount several thousand.

Why wire transfer? That's they're choice for international purchases. I did offer PayPal as I'm protected but they want wire transfer.

So azimo notification today saying funds returned to my account after saying completed because declined / returned by their bank or couldn't locate their details.

So I know have to wait 5 days for that.

Unfortunately, I can't see me proceeding now, something is nagging me and it may not be their issue or in their control.

I have relayed this back to them, and offered PayPal. That would be my safest option as I can open a case if something went wrong... OK they incur 4% fees or whatever...but if they want my custom..
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 15th Jan 20, 4:54 PM
    • 14,384 Posts
    • 16,801 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Basically no rights with azimo?
    Correct, as far as I can see. All they do is transfer the money. Not their problem if you later become entitled to a refund.

Why wire transfer? That's they're choice for international purchases.
    Sometimes it's "their choice" because they don't want the other strings which come attached to taking money by e.g. credit card or PayPal. And are able to take the cash and run off into the sunset. Might be perfectly legit though.
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 15th Jan 20, 4:55 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    Before signing up to azimo, I tried with transfer wise and the details or something they said were incorrect, so that was a non starter. May be an error with transfer wise, I don't know

Hence, why I am a bit worried after 2 attempts
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Jan 20, 6:51 PM
    • 25,356 Posts
    • 14,798 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    To be fair, it does read like MSE is recommending the company.
    What the * means above

If a link has an * by it, that means it is an affiliated link and therefore it helps MoneySavingExpert stay free to use, as it is tracked to us. If you go through it, it can sometimes result in a payment or benefit to the site. It's worth noting this means the third party used may be named on any credit agreements.

You shouldn’t notice any difference and the link will never negatively impact the product. Plus the editorial line (the things we write) is NEVER impacted by these links. We aim to look at all available products. If it isn't possible to get an affiliate link for the top deal, it is still included in exactly the same way, just with a non-paying link
    by MSE articles
    So hardly specifically "recommended", but certainly paid for.
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 15th Jan 20, 7:23 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    After an email exchange with the company (I think a one man outfit), it seems my typo use of 'ltd' instead of 'inc' may have caused a rejection by their bank (CHASE BANK).

Would this type of typo cause this?

Anyway, it has given me a breather I guess.

It is an expensive item, though I've sold something else to fund this hobby/passion, I need to be sure as it will dent my savings a bit.

I suppose it's made me ask if I need it, if I love the item that much.

Also, I'm still weary of wire transfer if I have no recompense.

Though I don't feel a pressure to complete purchase, I need to think and decide...

If I go ahead, maybe I need to agree to their terms, but if I insist on PayPal, they will think I'm not trusting and not do business (I can't find this rare item anywhere cheaper and will unlikely hang around...)

Hmm
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,246Posts Today

7,812Users online

Martin's Twitter