Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • abz88
    • By abz88 14th Jan 20, 10:51 AM
    • 202Posts
    • 110Thanks
    abz88
    CASS Partial Switch
    • 14th Jan 20, 10:51 AM
    CASS Partial Switch 14th Jan 20 at 10:51 AM
    Will be looking to switch my main account from RBS to Santander once the cashback changes at RBS come in place next month. I am slightly vary of closing my main account and came across the CASS Partial Switch which allows you to move chosen payments across and leaves the old account open, however, it doesn't get the same switching guarantees as the full switch

Has anyone used the partial service and did it work out or was it a bit of a mess?
Page 1
    • colsten
    • By colsten 14th Jan 20, 11:57 AM
    • 11,713 Posts
    • 11,057 Thanks
    colsten
    • 14th Jan 20, 11:57 AM
    • 14th Jan 20, 11:57 AM
    I am not sure if Santander offer partial switches. If they do, as you rightly say, there are no guarantees attached. So you would have to give them precise instructions, and then check that each of your DDs/SOs has been properly transferred. I think it might be faster, and not any more risky, to just do it all yourself.

SOs are easy to cancel on the old account and to set up on the new one.

Many payees let you change the DD instructions online or over the phone. Very few require a postal DD instruction. All you need to do is give them your new sort code and account number. The old DD instruction should get cancelled / no longer executed automatically, but to be on the safe side, you can manually cancel it in your old account. Best time to change a DD is immediately after it has been paid.

You obviously also need to ensure you have sufficient funds in the new account on the day(s) your SOs / DDs need paying. Transferring funds from your old to your new account is child's play with Faster Payment.
    • born again
    • By born again 14th Jan 20, 1:10 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 796 Thanks
    born again
    • 14th Jan 20, 1:10 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 1:10 PM
    I am slightly vary of closing my main account
    Originally posted by abz88

Just what is your worry?

Might be far easier to get answers to that than find people who have done a partial switch.

TBH. You might as well just open a Santander (have you seen the interest & cashback change) and do it all yourself.
    • abz88
    • By abz88 14th Jan 20, 1:57 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    abz88
    • 14th Jan 20, 1:57 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 1:57 PM
    Just what is your worry?

Might be far easier to get answers to that than find people who have done a partial switch.

TBH. You might as well just open a Santander (have you seen the interest & cashback change) and do it all yourself.
    Originally posted by born again
    Unlike a full switch there are no gaurantees if it goes wrong, so if a DD doesn't switch over properly, is paid late due to switch etc then I am liable for fines/fees and not the bank as is the case with a full switch. Unlike a full switch that has a guaranteed time limit of 7 days, there's isn't one for a partial switch, so unclear how long it is. So if the process is likely to cause some issues, I'll likely avoid it.

On changes to Santander, it would be the 123 Lite so interest not an issue. I would still make more on their changes to bills cashbank than with the new RBS changes
    • abz88
    • By abz88 14th Jan 20, 2:04 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    abz88
    • 14th Jan 20, 2:04 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 2:04 PM
    I am not sure if Santander offer partial switches. If they do, as you rightly say, there are no guarantees attached. So you would have to give them precise instructions, and then check that each of your DDs/SOs has been properly transferred. I think it might be faster, and not any more risky, to just do it all yourself.

SOs are easy to cancel on the old account and to set up on the new one.

Many payees let you change the DD instructions online or over the phone. Very few require a postal DD instruction. All you need to do is give them your new sort code and account number. The old DD instruction should get cancelled / no longer executed automatically, but to be on the safe side, you can manually cancel it in your old account. Best time to change a DD is immediately after it has been paid.

You obviously also need to ensure you have sufficient funds in the new account on the day(s) your SOs / DDs need paying. Transferring funds from your old to your new account is child's play with Faster Payment.
    Originally posted by colsten
    It's more the time it would take to manually amend various SO, DDs, salary etc.

Ideally I only want to leave 2 x DDs (to get the new reward payment from RBS) and the rent I get from my flat as this would cover the monthly pay in requirement. Thinking it might just be easier to open a new RBS current account, switch my current one to Santander and then upgrade the new RBS one to Rewards and switch back 2 x DD and provide the tenants the new details.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 14th Jan 20, 2:26 PM
    • 11,713 Posts
    • 11,057 Thanks
    colsten
    • 14th Jan 20, 2:26 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 2:26 PM
    I think you are overthinking things, and seeing dangers where there aren't any. In the time it took you to write these posts, you could have moved one, if not two DDs.
    • abz88
    • By abz88 14th Jan 20, 2:50 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    abz88
    • 14th Jan 20, 2:50 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 2:50 PM
    Probably right colsten, was hoping the partial switch would be an easy option, but probably as easy to get off my backside and switch DD's myself...
    • born again
    • By born again 14th Jan 20, 3:18 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 796 Thanks
    born again
    • 14th Jan 20, 3:18 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 3:18 PM
    Unlike a full switch there are no gaurantees if it goes wrong, so if a DD doesn't switch over properly, is paid late due to switch etc then I am liable for fines/fees and not the bank as is the case with a full switch. Unlike a full switch that has a guaranteed time limit of 7 days, there's isn't one for a partial switch, so unclear how long it is. So if the process is likely to cause some issues, I'll likely avoid it.
    Originally posted by abz88
    Sorry but you have not answered the question over the worry of a full switch and the closure of your account?
    Which is how your OP reads.
    Not that you were worried of the partial switch.
    • abz88
    • By abz88 14th Jan 20, 4:10 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    abz88
    • 14th Jan 20, 4:10 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 4:10 PM
    Sorry but you have not answered the question over the worry of a full switch and the closure of your account?
    Which is how your OP reads.
    Not that you were worried of the partial switch.
    It wasn't meant to read that way, hence why I only mentioned being wary of it once. Its by far the longest account I have so helps credit report and anyone paying me money would send to that account unless I told them otherwise. Although under CASS payments are forwarded, it only applies for 36 months (seems like a long time, but I don't think it is). That and I have never been with Santander, so I don't see the point doing a fulls switch to a bank I might not like dealing with. Plus I have to renew my RBS mortgage later this year and it was a pain in the backside to deal with them last time around without having to send them accounts from another bank for them to trawl through.
    • born again
    • By born again 14th Jan 20, 4:41 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 796 Thanks
    born again
    Forget credit report, that number means nothing to banks and they do not see it.
    It is your credit History that counts. As well as all banks have their own internal scoring on any borrowing.

Also CASS will mean that any funds sent to old closed account would be forwarded to new account. If someone has not sent you money in 36 months, then will they ever?
    For 3 years after the Switch Date, or longer in accordance with clause 1.14 of the Customer Agreement
    Which means it maybe longer.

As to not liking santander. If that is the case then you just switch away.

Can't really see the point of partial switch. As DD's won't take much to updating companies. S/O can just be set up again.

You could always open a 2nd RBS account, if you want to keep a account with them.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 14th Jan 20, 5:00 PM
    • 31,141 Posts
    • 19,178 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    Forget credit report, that number means nothing to banks and they do not see it.
    It is your credit History that counts. As well as all banks have their own internal scoring on any borrowing.
    No mention of numbers or scores was made. The poster is referring to 'time with bank', and that data is most definitely seen by lenders when they search your file.
    • abz88
    • By abz88 14th Jan 20, 5:21 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    abz88
    I never mentioned a credit number (I assume you mean score), but as YorkshireBoy has pointed out, length of time with a bank does get looked at.

Also CASS will mean that any funds sent to old closed account would be forwarded to new account. If someone has not sent you money in 36 months, then will they ever?
    Yes, quite a few family members haven't sent me money in 3 years but will at some point in the future and have in the past done so without telling me, eg "Congratulations on your new job, I've sent you some money to buy a few drinks to celebrate!" (Most of my family are spread around, so don't see them too often).

As to not liking santander. If that is the case then you just switch away.
    Doesn't really help though does it, as I would still want a santander account for the rewards payment just not to use as my main account.

Can't really see the point of partial switch. As DD's won't take much to updating companies. S/O can just be set up again.
    That seems to be the conclusion I am coming to, no point using a partial switch, just open Santander and then manually move DDs across.

No mention of numbers or scores was made. The poster is referring to 'time with bank', and that data is most definitely seen by lenders when they search your file.
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    Correct, I am well aware that credit scores are pretty meaningless, but my credit report/history will currently show time with bank as significant. It is my only longstanding relationship, I switch energy, phone, insurance etc on a regular basis, my main mortgage is less than 2 years and the mortgage from my flat is under 7 years. So I would prefer to keep it as a longstanding relationship
    • colsten
    • By colsten 14th Jan 20, 7:38 PM
    • 11,713 Posts
    • 11,057 Thanks
    colsten
    It's perfectly valid to keep a longstanding current account that was kept in good order, as this will have a positive effect on your credit worthiness.

Moving your SOs/DDs manually and keeping the account semi-dormant (still log in now and then, at least) can therefore be a worthwhile exercise. I still have an ancient Nationwide FlexAccount for that reason (and a couple of others), and I moved my SOs/DDs away from it manually many years ago, before CASS was even an option. It's easy to do.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

10Posts Today

5,070Users online

Martin's Twitter