Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JLOFRO
    • By JLOFRO 13th Jan 20, 12:53 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JLOFRO
    0 WOW
    Halifax Clarity Card - T&Cs change means no longer free to use?
    • 13th Jan 20, 12:53 PM
    0 WOW
    Halifax Clarity Card - T&Cs change means no longer free to use? 13th Jan 20 at 12:53 PM
    I've just had a letter from Halifax announcing T&C changes, and buried deep within the accompanying leaflet is a note saying that they are adding a non-sterling transaction fee to purchases and cash transactions made abroad. You have to flick from the covering letter to the booklet and then be referred onto table B5 to find that info but it does seem to be a fundamental change in the proposition, given I only have this card as it was exchange fee free for purchases and withdrawals abroad. Wondering if this is the conclusion others draw or whether I've read the material wrong? Thanks!
Page 1
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 13th Jan 20, 9:09 PM
    • 1,613 Posts
    • 825 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 13th Jan 20, 9:09 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 9:09 PM
    The booklet appears to refer to all Halifax card products and doesn't differentiate between Clarity and standard cards.

I'll study it further but I doubt they would remove the current fee free facility without stating it in the main document.
    • Thomas Crown
    • By Thomas Crown 13th Jan 20, 9:57 PM
    • 737 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    Thomas Crown
    • 13th Jan 20, 9:57 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 9:57 PM
    Read Page 3, Section A5, Fee Description : Non-sterling transaction fee (any non-sterling transaction, including cash withdrwals) : Amount N/A
    • Thomas Crown
    • By Thomas Crown 14th Jan 20, 8:59 PM
    • 737 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    Thomas Crown
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:59 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:59 PM
    It is still free from their website

Halifax Clarity Card

"- We don't charge fees when you spend abroad.
    -We don't charge fees to withdraw cash with your Halifax Clarity credit card.
    "
    Originally posted by adindas

The new T&Cs don't come into force until the 27th February 2020, so the website won't have been updated yet. The new T&Cs are in the letter and accompanying leaflet, sent to cardholders.

The T&Cs for foreign usage are not changing, so the OP has nothing to worry about and has no need to close their account.
    • JLOFRO
    • By JLOFRO 15th Jan 20, 11:18 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JLOFRO
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:18 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:18 AM
    Thanks for taking the time to respond! I did read the literature quite closely but I still think the wording in B5 is ambiguous (and I'm a copywriter by profession) - in your opinion what scenarios *would* attract the non-sterling transaction fee? Ones made in the UK from overseas suppliers? Or is this a generic booklet sent out to all card holders as Neil49 says? Can see this issue in a couple of other threads so glad it's not just me!
    Last edited by JLOFRO; 15-01-2020 at 11:20 AM. Reason: For clarity
    • adindas
    • By adindas 15th Jan 20, 11:46 AM
    • 4,382 Posts
    • 2,849 Thanks
    adindas
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:46 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:46 AM
    Thanks for taking the time to respond! I did read the literature quite closely but I still think the wording in B5 is ambiguous (and I'm a copywriter by profession) - in your opinion what scenarios *would* attract the non-sterling transaction fee?
    Originally posted by JLOFRO
    In many scenarios it is actually a loss leader for them. In the past there were quite a few similar product when burst. A few to name Nationwide debit card, Loots, Metro has changed from worldwide to EU only for free non sterling transaction and cash withdrawal. Monzo has changed their T&C to restrict the amount of cash you could withdraw and the number of withdrawals.

But Halifax Clarity is one of halifax iconic credit card that and widely known one of the earliest CC to introduce no fee for foreign cash withdrawal, so it has become on their icon. They might want to sustain that small losses in exchange of maintaining their market leading position.

Or is this a generic booklet sent out to all card holders as Neil49 says? Can see this issue in a couple of other threads so glad it's not just me!
    Originally posted by JLOFRO
    I believe the one sent was not specifically refer to Clarity Card but general Halifax clarity card. Shall they inted to stop that perks, they would have stopped people to apply the new one.
    Last edited by adindas; 15-01-2020 at 5:04 PM.
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 15th Jan 20, 2:35 PM
    • 2,424 Posts
    • 2,126 Thanks
    AlexMac
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:35 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:35 PM
    I too am a great Clarity Card fan, but agree the recent letter is an ambiguous and over-complex way to communicate with customers. A letter and two lengthy annexes with triple cross-referencing confuse me (and I'm no dummy- I used to write complex reports and make funding applications to EU and Government sources against opaque guidance and criteria!)

On balance, I think it's still a cost effective way to pay holiday and currency bills? But it's ironic that they call it a "Clarity Card"!

Maybe they've never heard of the Plain English Campaign or Crystal Mark for written communication;
    http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/services/crystal-mark.html
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 15th Jan 20, 4:33 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:33 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:33 PM
    Thanks for taking the time to respond! I did read the literature quite closely but I still think the wording in B5 is ambiguous (and I'm a copywriter by profession) - in your opinion what scenarios *would* attract the non-sterling transaction fee?
    The B5 "Fees and charges" as on page 9 of the A5 size Credit Card Terms and Conditions booklet ?

I'm thinking that guide is a generic publication which covers all Halifax credit cards - however the covering letter clause A5 overrides that specifically, and exclusively, in respect of the Clarity card.

In which case there would be no non sterling transaction fee scenarios.

That's how I read it - other opinions may differ.

PS - should this not be in the credit card forum ?
    Last edited by NoodleDoodleMan; 15-01-2020 at 4:39 PM.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 15th Jan 20, 5:41 PM
    • 4,382 Posts
    • 2,849 Thanks
    adindas
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:41 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:41 PM
    What we have said previous is now confirmed. Thanks to kl9952
    The specific clause in T&C does not apply to Halifax Clarity. So we could still enjoy the fee free cash withdrawal in foreign currency.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=76724853#post76724853

I also noticed that and had a "Chat" with them, they say those Terms and Conditions section B2.2 and section B5 is "default information" and doesn’t apply to the Clarity card.
    Originally posted by kl9952
    Last edited by adindas; 15-01-2020 at 6:46 PM.
    • fivealive
    • By fivealive 17th Jan 20, 8:21 AM
    • 225 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    fivealive
    Thanks everyone for helping out here I was about to ditch my card thinking I could no longer use it abroad!
    • vacheron
    • By vacheron 17th Jan 20, 9:07 AM
    • 1,093 Posts
    • 1,073 Thanks
    vacheron
    I saw the same thing in the letter which seemed to conflict with the booklet until I realised the booklet was generic It is the table in the letter that is important.

What also confused me was that it had a 3% fee for "promotional" balance transfers and cash withdrawls, but 0% for "non-promotional" transfers, making me briefly think "great, unlimited free balance transfers as long as there is NOT a promotion!" until my temporary brain fog cleared and I realised that the non-promo transfers would need to be paid off in full on the next months bill!
    Last edited by vacheron; 17-01-2020 at 9:14 AM.
    The rich buy assets.
    The poor only have expenses.
    The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 20th Jan 20, 1:47 PM
    • 2,424 Posts
    • 2,126 Thanks
    AlexMac
    An update to my earlier whinge; congratulating Halifax's response
    to my post above;
    I too am a great Clarity Card fan, but agree the recent letter is an ambiguous and over-complex way to communicate with customers. A letter and two lengthy annexes with triple cross-referencing confuse me (and I'm no dummy- I used to write complex reports and make funding applications to EU and Government sources against opaque guidance and criteria!)

On balance, I think it's still a cost effective way to pay holiday and currency bills? But it's ironic that they call it a "Clarity Card"!

Maybe they've never heard of the Plain English Campaign or Crystal Mark for written communication;
    http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/services/crystal-mark.html
    Originally posted by AlexMac
    I also posted online Feedback on their website ... and

Hey Presto! I got a text and then a phonecall from a charming woman in Halifax's Dunfermline office, called Charlene Coutts (good name for a banker. eh?) to assure me that all complaints were taken seriously, and summarised up to Board level. And I hadn't really complained.

So ten out of ten for customer care. I wish all financial providers were as responsive. Reminds me of when the Grand daughter complained about a rare instance of poor service and a staff training gap in one of their branches; and got a nice apology and a 50 compensation bung!

So thanks Halifax.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,203Posts Today

5,088Users online

Martin's Twitter