Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 20vt-rs
    • By 20vt-rs 13th Jan 20, 12:04 PM
    • 616Posts
    • 97Thanks
    20vt-rs
    iPhone XS from MusicMagpie - Return or Keep
    • 13th Jan 20, 12:04 PM
    iPhone XS from MusicMagpie - Return or Keep 13th Jan 20 at 12:04 PM
    Hi all,

I just wanted to gauge some thoughts from people who may have used MusicMagpie (MM) in the past to buy a used phone, as I am not sure if this is ok or not.

I ordered a "Used-Good" iPhone XS from them a couple of weeks ago, it arrived last week and it's in pretty good nick overall, apart from an approx 1cm scratch in the middle, and a smaller 0.25cm scratch to the right of the screen. These scratches are enough you can get your nail into it and not a light surface scratch. The rear and sides are very good, a bit grimy in places around the switches but I can clean and cope with that. Battery health is 93%.

Anyway, I am in two minds to keep or return, I have had several communications with them (painful) and it seems they may send another one or refund me, depending if they have stock to replace.

I purchased it via their ebay shop with a discount code, so it's priced very well, but the scratch is niggling me. They did say that the phone shouldn't have come with a deep scratch, but also cannot confirm if I will get a replacement one that is better, I may just end up with a refund.

I am reluctant to return unless I am 100% clear what they can do, and don't fancy the refund as the dis!!!! via eBay is no longer active.

Is this usual from them, a friend of mine raves about them but I am being cautious. Do I send it back and risk not getting a replacement or just live with it. Thoughts appreciated! Thanks.
Page 1
    • liggerz87
    • By liggerz87 13th Jan 20, 6:02 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    liggerz87
    • 13th Jan 20, 6:02 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 6:02 PM
    As tounpaid through ebay and most likely paypal if your not happy return it and get refund and buy elsewhere up to you tho
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 13th Jan 20, 10:26 PM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 13th Jan 20, 10:26 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 10:26 PM
    Send it back for a refund.

There is currently 10% off Music Magpie on ebay and these discounts appear quite often nowadays.
    • 20vt-rs
    • By 20vt-rs 15th Jan 20, 10:36 AM
    • 616 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    20vt-rs
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:36 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:36 AM
    Send it back for a refund.

There is currently 10% off Music Magpie on ebay and t
    these discounts appear quite often nowadays.
    Originally posted by Neil49
    Well this was my plan, but they appear to have increased their prices during this 10% sale - At the moment with the equivalent phone on the 10%, it's 130 more than I paid. I am thinking I should keep this one and put up with the scratch for the value difference! I will get a screen protector and give it a whirl, I think i have 30-days anyway to change my mind. I know if it gores back I may end up with somethin worse or nothing at all and have no phone!!
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 15th Jan 20, 10:42 AM
    • 3,511 Posts
    • 1,996 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:42 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:42 AM
    What are the odds that if you send it back they will suggest you scratched it?
    They have already stated "They did say that the phone shouldn't have come with a deep scratch, but also cannot confirm if I will get a replacement one that is better, I may just end up with a refund"
    What was the description as to condition in the eBay listing? Possibly no mention of the scratches, i.e. it was fine when we sent it!
    Last edited by oldagetraveller; 15-01-2020 at 10:45 AM.

• Exemplar
    • By Exemplar 15th Jan 20, 11:03 AM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    Exemplar
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:03 AM
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:03 AM
    Glass screen protector on the top, job solved?
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.
    • 20vt-rs
    • By 20vt-rs 15th Jan 20, 2:59 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    20vt-rs
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:59 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 2:59 PM
    What are the odds that if you send it back they will suggest you scratched it?
    They have already stated "They did say that the phone shouldn't have come with a deep scratch, but also cannot confirm if I will get a replacement one that is better, I may just end up with a refund"
    What was the description as to condition in the eBay listing? Possibly no mention of the scratches, i.e. it was fine when we sent it!
    Originally posted by oldagetraveller
    It was the "good" category, below very good and pristine, so it is bottom of the pile, but they did say it should not have a deep scratch. You are right however, what if to say i did it... All the description says is shows signs of moderate use, no further details.

Glass screen protector on the top, job solved?
    Originally posted by Exemplar
    I was hoping this would be the case... I got one today and fitted it, problem is the scren protector actually enhances the scratch I am still not sure what to do, overall it was very well priced for an XS, can't find one this cheap anywhere but the scratch is annoying my OCD
    • oldernonethewiser
    • By oldernonethewiser 15th Jan 20, 3:11 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    oldernonethewiser
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:11 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:11 PM
    The scratch will continue to annoy you by the sound of things. You could get a new screen fitted, a screen protector is not the answer, as you have discovered.

I would send it back.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 15th Jan 20, 5:37 PM
    • 1,424 Posts
    • 1,118 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:37 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:37 PM
    That’s why it was cheap!
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • 20vt-rs
    • By 20vt-rs 16th Jan 20, 7:44 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    20vt-rs
    The scratch will continue to annoy you by the sound of things. You could get a new screen fitted, a screen protector is not the answer, as you have discovered.

I would send it back.
    Originally posted by oldernonethewiser

Yep, it went back, I looked at it for a day and it annoyed me! Lets see what replacement I get then, I hope they do that rather than a refund. Fingers crossed anyway...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

91Posts Today

1,230Users online

Martin's Twitter