Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 17th Dec 19, 1:52 PM
    • 447Posts
    • 3,708Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    Making money make sense
    • 17th Dec 19, 1:52 PM
    Making money make sense 17th Dec 19 at 1:52 PM
    So i feel a bit cheeky being here as I'm not in debt with credit cards etc. I have a student loan, but I don't earn enough to make payments and I appreciate the view point of seeing it like a tax so it doesn't concern me. I did recently have to pay back 2.5k in housing overpayment, and thankfully as I had about 6k I could just pay it off in one go and not worry about it. All that said, I don't really have any savings or real plan for my money, which I'd like to change.

I was here a few years back, probably what has kept me in the black since then I have changed jobs, increasing my hours and an increase in hourly rate, and just a super environment and gotten the most amazing boyfriend.

The boyfriend should be moving in at some point in 2020, which will change/end various benefits as I've been a single working parent for years. He's looking to move out of teaching, but isn't sure what into next, he has lots of skills and a real hard worker so I'm not overly concerned, but I do want some cushion to help out during that interim period of him relocating, getting a new job and setting up business over here (75 miles from where he currently lives). He likes to leap into things, and I'm an overthinker; he makes me a little braver, but because my son has pretty much only had me I like to make sure I don't do anything to jeopardize that.... Ok I'm a bit braver but still a massive overthinker!

I discovered the budget mom a week or two back, which I found inspiring, and as I bullet journal I've been setting things up - this had taken a back seat this year whilst I've been all loved up! Actually a lot of things (other than my son of course) have taken a backseat as my boyfriend is only with us Friday night to Sunday at about noon and he's usually exhausted from work that he just wants to relax. I've managed to get on top of the housework, including decluttering everywhere - yes, even the understairs cupboard! I want to increase my physical activity, as I'll be looking after my parents' dog in the new year for 3 months while they're on a cruise that should be ok! And now I'm aiming on sprucing up my finances so that it can take the initial hit when the boyfriend moves in.

I have a few savings goals:
    I already have the 1k saved, but it's just sat in my current account doing nothing; I'll fix that when I stop telling myself "but you might need it" - anyone know how to stop that voice?
    I have opened a H2B... Now I just need to put money in it
    I'm a keen sewer (quilts and homewares mostly) and the boyfriend has been encouraging me to develop this into a business. I'm a baby steps kinda gal, and I know that many people don't make money on physical items, but I think a blog would be good, if I can control my ramblings, and I do already like to draft together new patterns for myself. The downside is that I really need a computer, ideally a laptop, for this, which I don't have. However, if I can keep building my skills in something I already do having another income source would be amazing.

Anyway I have a laptop saving pot,
    A new phone pot, (77 sitting in top cashback already)
    a new flooring pot for the living room (it's getting bad)
    A holiday pot (I cashed in 120 of pound coins that have been collected in a jar at home, the boyfriend is very good a topping that jar up!)
    A Christmas pot (for 2020, I do this every year and I'm confident with this one, it's even already got 50 in it)
    A birthday pot (using the calendar method)
    And an events pot (thankfully I'm boring so this isn't too high)

I think I'm going potty!

I hope no one minds my having a wee diary on here. I promise I'll be good
Page 4
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 11th Jan 20, 10:20 AM
    • 447 Posts
    • 3,708 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    That's insane Blackcats! I'm fortunate and look 10 years younger than my age. It is a little funny at times, in a professional setting people are a little bemused as to why they're talking to a child about something so serious and in a personal setting they often try to work out if my son is mine (young teenage pregnancy) or my mum's (menopause baby). We do laugh at the second one. I'm quite used to people asking my age. My dad still looks much younger than his years, and mum does when she's not doing her bag lady impersonation! And they both used to get mistaken for much younger than their years when they were my age. It does mean I've been terrible at having a skincare routine!

The boyfriend couldn't come this weekend. I've told him he needs to take care of himself first and we're not going anywhere. Wednesday is a year to the day when I first started torturing him! Hahaha.

The back garden is like a swamp, so we're having to skip doing anything back there still. I might do some sewing and some bullet journaling.

The yogurt is straining. I'm disappointed that it's so loose this time round, normally it's much better, but as the milk was about to go out of date and we're using the whey I'm straining off I feel we're not really loosing out on anything, and we will have some lovely strained yogurt at the end of it. Just not as much as usual.

I've also potted up and frozen leftover pasta sauce. Got a tub for when it's just my son and I and another for when it's all three of us. Pleased to get 3 meals from 500g of mince (7 portions).

Child tax credit and working tax credit came in last night, so I swished over the last category for my sinking funds.

My son's dad has offered to pay back for one of my son's clubs. My son then said he should pay for both and his dad said "no, because you have two parents so we'll each pay for one." I'm thinking that if that's his thinking he might contribute towards the cello.... Probably not in reality. Anyway, he'll either send 116 or 120 at the end of the month. I don't count it until it's come in. He has been consistent at sending over 100 a month since November 2017, but he has asked my son to remind him at pay day to send the extra.
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 11th Jan 20, 5:30 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 3,708 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    Pizza and yogurt both turned out good.

I had a lovely bath with a face mask and hair mask and a posh bath melt.

Now relaxing for the evening and doing a little bit of sewing.

Planning on a seafront walk with the boy and dog tomorrow, then stopping off at mum and dad's to clean for an hour. Then the boy's been invited to a friend's house. Then it'll be Monday again! I will just have to remember that his clubs start this Monday!

No spends today, but I might treat the boy to a nice drink on the seafront tomorrow.
    • Blackcats
    • By Blackcats 11th Jan 20, 7:33 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    Blackcats
    Nice plans for tomorrow. A good walk along the seafront is great whatever time of year.
    Just think, this time last year you hadn't even met your BF. What a difference a year makes.
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 11th Jan 20, 11:41 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 3,708 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    Yes, we really don't take advantage of living by the sea. I have to take my parents' bins to the curb ready for pick up early Monday, so figured we'll park up, have a good walk with the dog and I'll get working on tidying up their place. Mum was moaning that the place was ransacked and dreading coming back to it, so I think it'll be a nice surprise. Obviously just tidying and cleaning, I'll only throw out anything that is obviously rubbish, like a crisp packet.

The dog is 11 and has a bit of arthritis in his back hip, so isn't up to long walks every day, he normally goes out 4 times a day round the block, but a longer walk once a week is ok. It tires him out and he tends to snooze the rest of the day.

The boy said he doesn't want to go to his friend's house tomorrow... So we'll see what's going on there.

Had a lovely chat with the boyfriend, who also remembers Wednesday is when I first started bullying him. Haha. He is the absolute sweetest and I'm so glad he's feeling a bit better. I'll be even happier when I get to spend next weekend with him. It makes me chuckle that he has a reputation where he lives, whereas I know him as being an absolute puppy. The reputation is based on when he was young and probably the fact he always scowls :'D he scowls and doesn't like to talk to anyone and I smile and will chat away with everyone. It must be so funny to see us together. I don't rope him in, he usually moves to one side and lets me get on with being a chatterbox and then we carry on together afterwards. It's a bit like my parents to be honest. Hahaha. He's him. I'm me. And for some reason we just work
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 12th Jan 20, 3:19 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 3,708 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    The dog was a tugging nightmare! But we had a good walk and stopped at a cafe for a pot of tea and hot chocolate for the boy. 4.75 out of the "fun" pot. Back to mum and dad's and I've folded towels out of the dryer and folded clean teatowels I've found everywhere, cleaned the work surfaces and island in the kitchen, swept the kitchen diner, put away clean items from the draining board and generally had a bit of a tidy/put away in the kitchen diner. Going to do a little work in the snug while I wait for the tumble drying to finish. Then we'll put the bins out and go home where I'll make sandwiches for my lunches for the week and stew for tea in the instant pot and do a little bit of a tidy up too.

We bumped into a couple of colleagues (they're dating and it's so cute) while we were out so they saw my giant boy and naughty temporary dog. I think I'll have to find his bra (halti harness) and work him on that again to see if that helps with his pulling.
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 12th Jan 20, 9:07 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 3,708 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    I didn't make any sandwiches, I'm a bit knackered to be honest! I'll see if I can motivate myself before bed. I need to take the recycling out too.

Stew in the instant pot was brilliant. It really was such a great buy. And I made the promised popcorn. 2 for 500g. Even with sugar, salt and oil it has to be less than 50p per batch. And my son's face just lights up when it starts popping (I use a glass lidded pan so he can see).

I've gone through the spends so far this month, and despite overspending in household and my son's extra extra curricular activities it looks like I still have 138 leftover from income after paying fixed and variable expenses and putting money into sinking funds. I'll move it into a savings pot at the end of the month. Of course I'm always aiming to have more leftover for my pots.

It means we won't touch the 4067.24 starting balance. I'm just wondering what to do with it. I might move 2k into savings for my emergency fund, with the intention to build it to 4.5 which covers 3 months expenses should absolutely no money come in. (Being in the funeral industry it's unlikely I'll be made redundant!) Then keep 1.5k in my current account for cushion, meaning that I'm not dependent on worrying about when which payment comes in or out, especially as I'm paid on 24-26th of the month. There's then 500 that I could move into my h2b ISA or move it into a fund for a holiday, laptop or new flooring/sofa for the lounge. I'm just unsure what to do. Suggestions welcome!!!
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 13th Jan 20, 8:31 AM
    • 447 Posts
    • 3,708 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    Just put my big fat finger through my dress! Argh! Not along a seam that I could easily fix, no, in a really obvious place in the dress. Argh.
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 13th Jan 20, 6:18 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 3,708 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    I was going to say I had zero spends, but the boys cello lesson invoice for the term came in so I paid for that. It came in as 150, which is under the 200 budgeted.

The boy is whining constantly and it's doing my head in.

Other good news is that I remembered to take my repeat prescription in to the pharmacy and next month I'm due a review and really hoping my medication can be reduced.

I think some sewing and bullet journaling is in order as there's no chocolate in the house :'( not intentionally might I add! Might have to do a small shop of ALL THE CHOCOLATE soon. Got about 15 in the budget whilst still leaving 40 per week for the next two weeks.
    • Blackcats
    • By Blackcats 13th Jan 20, 7:04 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    Blackcats
    You and boyfriend sound very well matched despite being opposites.
    Great savings totals - I keep a sum of money in an account which is attached to my current account and easy to move into the current account if needed. I keep it at 500 and in my head I treat it as my own overdraft or petty cash account. If I need it, it's there and I always top it back up to 500 if I've dipped into it.
    Shocking that you have no chocolate. I'm trying to resist demolishing a whole box of maltezers.
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 14th Jan 20, 2:23 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 3,708 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    Thanks Blackcats. We're annoyingly still very much in love and I like to think that we make a good team. We have different strengths but the same values. We don't need showy things, we like to create memories by spending time together, it needn't be anywhere fancy and we like to be a solid unit. We also help others where needed and think family involves discipline as well as fun. We both also love to create.

Your 500 is what I'll use my 1500 for, or rather it's because I get paid at the end of the month and my bills come out at the start of the month it's my working from amount.

My savings pots are all in one savings account, I just have it divided up in my bullet journal. So I could just pop the 500 over, but I worry about my frittering tendancies if it's not allocated to something.

I'm having a bit of an MSE win at the moment. I have NOT gone to the shop for chocolate and treats, and I've not gone to the shop to buy bread, and leave with bread and chocolate and treats. I have remembered that I have some part-baked rolls at home that I can bake off tonight and make up into sandwiches for the next week!

I can imagine we'll still have to get bread at some point as the boyfriend is coming over this weekend (yay!) And he'll require snacks. But if I hold off going I won't eat them all before he arrives and have to rebuy :'D this is why we don't currently have any chocolate at home.

My son was watching me place a grocery order online this morning so I said to keep his eye out for the loo roll we like. When he saw it he shouted. Then he said "that's so much money!" Yes darling, that's why I get annoyed when you waste a whole roll... It was a 9 back, I don't ever bother with the 4 packs, and I do like a certain brand of loo roll, I have tried others. Anyway, it made me chuckle, especially as he was over trying to get me to add football cards to the shopping - not happening!

Is it sad that I'm looking forward to the month end so I can see how we've gotten on this month? I'm thinking about next month's budget and thinking how half term will impact it. The boyfriend will be over and the boy won't be having school dinners. Would 30 extra food budget be appropriate? The boyfriend and I will have a day out in a nearby town because it's 20 minutes drive from me and it's where the dog has his 3 hour haircut... Rather than drive back and forth we thought a few hours out together would be nice while the boy is at the childminder's. Thinking about what to budget and the half term budget in general. The dog's haircut is already paid for by my parents, they were keen that I wouldn't have any extra expenses whilst having him. That said the harness has proved illusive and may have been gotten rid off. I need to get him one as the pulling is too much for me. I'm in two minds about a clicker for clicker training too... He's 11 so it might be pointless at this age!
    • Blackcats
    • By Blackcats 14th Jan 20, 6:11 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    Blackcats
    Well done for not shopping for bread and chocolate. It is so easy for me to buy extra bits and bobs when I pop to the shop for milk etc.
    I think 30 extra could cover half term food costs. When I'm not at work, we try to be a bit different to the usual routine and sometimes have a cooked breakfast or bacon sandwich type brunch which keeps us going through most of the day and then an earlyish dinner. Or you could do an afternoon tea with sandwiches, sausage rolls and cakes as quite a cheap but different treat. Apologies if you are a vegetarian but other non sausage or bacon options are available
    Do you treat yourselves to a bottle of wine or beer when your boyfriend stays for the holidays? That adds a bit of a cost.
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 14th Jan 20, 6:36 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 3,708 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    Neither of us really drink often to the extent that I didn't know i was allergic to beer until a few months into us dating! I used to be fine with it. I've got two bottles of gifted red wine in the cupboard and a bottle of white that's been there for months. Some beer for the boyfriend and various spirits that have largely been gifted.

My boy is just like my dad in that whether he's hungry or not if it is "lunchtime" he must eat! So changing mealtimes doesn't work BUT I love your teatime idea!!! The boy loves to bake and going out to afternoon tea was one of the things we were going to do this year, but a home one would be so cute!

We are not veggie.... So much so that my son has cried on the steps in the past because I didn't have any bacon in... And once a veggie mum at the park made a big song and dance about how her children don't want to eat little baby animals and my son chased her children shouting "yum yum baby animals! Yum! Yum! Yum!" He was only 3 or 4 at the time and she was the one who brought it up.... The boyfriend would have steak with a side of steak if he had his way, which he does not. Hahaha.

I've baked the rolls and made 2 sandwiches, and popped the other rolls into the freezer. The boy, after demolishing his dinner and proudly telling me he had two school dinners and puddings and an extra naan bread, asked if I could do bread and jam for pudding with the other roll. I have had to ask if the dinner ladies think I don't feed him at home! I have to say 2.50 is brilliant for his school dinners given the sheer volume he eats! Today they had naan, rice, chicken curry and veg and some pudding with raisins in. And in my son's case, double everything and add an extra naan on top! The meat and poultry and fish are from local butchers and fish mongers and they try to source all veg locally too and everything is cooked fresh.
    • Blackcats
    • By Blackcats 14th Jan 20, 7:04 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    Blackcats
    Inspired by you (thank you) and deterred by the foul weather I haven't gone out to buy milk. I've got enough for my cuppas this evening and in the morning (absolutely essential). I didn't have enough for breakfast though, however in the cupboard was some almond milk, so I've made overnight oats using almond milk, the last dollop of coconut yoghurt, a grated fairly elderly apple and pear. I think it will be yummy and there will be enough to take on my travels on the early train on Thursday. Oh and a serving of blueberries from the freezer to complete this "use it up" triumph.
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 14th Jan 20, 9:10 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 3,708 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    That's brilliant! That is a triumph! Yes, the weather is foul. I know if I go to the shop I will leave with extra items which I will then eat!

Morning cuppas are essential. I remember getting out of the shower to hear the boyfriend telling off the boy. I went downstairs to find the boy had used the last of the milk, not a problem, the boyfriend had given him a fiver and asked him to get milk from the shop across the road, after a raised eyebrow he assured me he watched him cross. It transpired that my son did not buy the milk and spend all 5 on sweets/chocolate. I burst out laughing. I keep reminding the boyfriend that the boy is a mercenary little whatsit and to not give him money. We did not get our essential morning cuppas that day and he was quite the grump!

Tomorrow is the boy's cello lesson and music club, so no need to pick him up until 4:30pm. I'm making fish pie for tea using some of the potatoes mum and dad dropped off before their holiday.

Mum got in touch seems to be having a fabulous time.
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 15th Jan 20, 3:51 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 3,708 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    PA is at 5.62 and OP is at 7.40. looking forward to them keeping on adding up. PA can pay out now, but I'm thinking about keeping it there until it's built up a bit more. OP pays out at 30 so still a long wait for that one.

No spends today so far and I don't anticipate any. Just enjoying a cuppa and a rest before doing some housework and picking up the boy.

I'm so boring! But I think I might break the 500 down into 100 laptop fund 100 living room fund and 300 holiday fund. It's all in the one savings account, but I like it being assigned to something.
    • Blackcats
    • By Blackcats 15th Jan 20, 7:29 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    Blackcats
    Your son sounds like a great fun character. He must have got lots of treats for 5! I remember when my kids were first allowed to walk to the corner shop unaccompanied - so stressful peering up the road til they were out of sight and then waiting for them to re-appear. They did stick to the list usually but would never ask for help if they couldn't find what I'd asked for.
    How about choosing some jewellery ready to wear tomorrow? I assume you have to dress quite sensibly for your job but a little sparkle might be allowed?
    How's your new skin care regime?
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 15th Jan 20, 8:17 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 3,708 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    Oops, sorry, laughing about it with the boyfriend it was 3 not 5. He had been so proud of his bargains and making the money stretch.... But had not bought the milk. Hahaha

Sparkle is fine. I'm front of office and deal with admin and have been known to wear pink tights and leopard print skirt (with black boots, top and cardigan). Today was navy tights, blue and white skirt, blue top and bright orange cardigan. I've picked out a necklace now, thank you. I've also re-peirced my ear, which had healed closed again. It's my right ear that heals up endlessly, so I've put in plain gold studs to keep it open for a while.

Skincare is going well thanks. And I'm using things up!

My boy loved the music club and is the most experienced there having been playing the cello for a year now. Others had had no music lessons or some had played for a term and given up. Bless the poor teacher trying to make a folk band out of that! She could have been a little clearer in the information about the club in fairness. He was also super pleased to tell me that he got sent to the head teacher, because he did some year 5 work (he's in year 4) and his teacher thought it was brilliant. He got a sticker and some house-points. No after school clubs tomorrow and it's leftovers for tea so I've suggested to the boy that we pop to the supermarket after school and he can pick out some sweeties for being such a star. I've also asked the boyfriend what snacks he wants at home and it saves me using my "hour off" on going to the supermarket. Again, it's not a full shop, but the dog did eat the last of the parmesan - the only conclusion after I couldn't find it on the counter, I will get bread and milk and the requests from the boyfriend and hope to keep everything under 20!
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 16th Jan 20, 8:35 AM
    • 447 Posts
    • 3,708 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    Terrible night's sleep again. Anxiety is playing up and I can't seem to pin down what is causing it. I know that when the boyfriend is here I (very unfeminist-like of me) completely relax. It's the first time I've ever felt completely looked after and that I don't need to protect/do/be in charge of everything. I know if anything happens he can deal with it, or we'll deal with it together. I'm crazily looking forward to seeing him again as it is (even though we text and talk on the phone every day) knowing that I will be able to relax, breathe, and hopefully sleep is an added bonus.

That said I've got the gold studs in, a necklace, a squirt of my favourite perfume and a slick of mascara on.

Soon school run with dog and work without dog. I have two funerals going on today and I sent the FD off with all the bits he needs yesterday, so today he's picking up the flowers and my lovely lady and chap. Today will be trying to finish off the paperwork for a few more of my lovely families and getting on with processing donations. I'm really so lucky, I work with the most lovely families and it's such a pleasure to get to know them and their loved one and to help them do the last thing they can do for them.
    • Franalamadingdong
    • By Franalamadingdong 16th Jan 20, 4:49 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 3,708 Thanks
    Franalamadingdong
    Glad to be home and just popped leftovers in the oven: fish pie for me with a portion for the freezer, stew for the boy.

It's so super grotty out. I took the dog for a walk after work and hoping I'll get away with just one more today!

We went to the supermarket and the boy got 1 for sweets. I spent 2 from my miscellaneous pot (now down from 10 to 8) and 19.53 on a few bits we needed and snacks to keep the men folk happy. 76.13 left in the food and drink pot.

It looks like other than the 2k to go to emergency fund and 500 discussed and money already gone to sinking funds I'll have about 350 left to share into my savings pots.

I'm looking forward to month end to finish all my totals!
    • Blackcats
    • By Blackcats 16th Jan 20, 6:21 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    Blackcats
    Hi Fran, sorry to hear about not sleeping properly - it's so hard isn't it? Ouch to re-piercing your ear, that's proper commitment to sparkle!
    I hope you are going to have a lovely weekend, it will be nice for you to have sometime with BF as I think last time he was there your son was poorly.
    Great surplus money this month. Well done!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

52Posts Today

3,703Users online

Martin's Twitter