heathrow terminal 4 long stay parking woes

Hi

I was relying on someone to drop me and pick me (my missues and toddler) to the airport and back. Unfortunately they had to cancel on us and we now need weigh up the options.

1. airport parking (highly preferred)
2. take the tube all the way to the airport (1h10m journey, prefer not to with all the luggage)
3. Taxi there and back.

My preferred option isn't going down so well, the long stay t4 car parking was always pricy and now the curveball means I can't actually book a slot in for my dates 4-12 to 18-12. There are loads of premium meet and greet services available which dont appeal to me. I wanted a service where I can park my car in and leave and come back and walk to my car on arrival. Mainly becase it's a lot cheaper.

I am considering gettiing t2/t3 long stay parking, take a shuttle to t2 and then use the picadilly line to go to t4. This could take as much as 30 mins.

On the way back, To save the hassle I will just take an uber from the taxi stand at t4 arrivals and go to the t2 car park.

What do you reckon.

If it was just the two adults it would have been perfect fine to do this. But because of our toddler, one of us has to carry all the luggage, while the other has to carry the toddler. So public transport isn't viable unfortiunately.

Comments

• Are there services that will collect your luggage from home so you are free to go on public transport
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Are there services that will collect your luggage from home so you are free to go on public transport

I'd rather do this myself to be honest. Last thing I want to do is add a third party into the mix. Imagine the stress and panic of luggage being misplaced or delayed by this third party.

LOL. I did a speculative quote with a luggage transfer service, came to £115. It would be cheaper for us to take a limousine to the airport with all our luggage with us.
  • headpin
    headpin Posts: 780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Not sure where you are coming from but the Heathrow Express is
    Easier than tube and good deals for families if booked in advance.
  • headpin wrote: »
    Not sure where you are coming from but the Heathrow Express is
    Easier than tube and good deals for families if booked in advance.

Slightly easier than 40+ stops on the tube, but not easier than driving yourself. Certainly not cheaper as I've go quotes for £70 for heathrow express.

Heathrow express operates from heathrow to London paddington, but London paddington is still 10 stops on the tube for us. Due to the timing, it could mean we're on the tube from london paddington to our home during rush hour.

The cheapest airport parking I have found on t2 is £41 for the duration. from t2 purple parking long stay car park I can get the free shuttle to t2, then from t2 I can get free transfer to t4.

I plan to arrive at the airport with plenty of time to spare. If I am short of time I will take uber from t2 long stay car park to t4.

I've done the research and this seems like the cheapest option.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Both Purple and Premier will do park and walk T4 for those dates for £105. Are you travelling at difficult times or is it a budget issue? More details would help!
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Might be worth considering a privately rented space, like Airbnb for cars, then complete by taxi. E.g. https://www.yourparkingspace.co.uk
    Some people do rent out shorter term.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    T4 Long Stay, £87 for your dates, not to shabby for 2 weeks and certainly not such a price to make all the schlepping from T2/T3 with luggage and a baby worthwhile.

Direct through the Heathrow website.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Why is it so important that you drive yourselves?

I've travelled through Heathrow a fair bit with a toddler. Our usual options are either minicab all the way (~£45 with a local firm or Uber), or minicab to Paddington followed by the Heathrow Express.

It depends where you are, admittedly, but have you priced up a taxi? You can usually stick your own car seat in the back (assuming you're planning to take it on your trip too) and then you're all set.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If there's a Europcar branch near you and you could pick up a car the day before your flight, this might be an option for the way out:

https://www.europcar.co.uk/deals/one-way-uk.step

Then for the way back you could take a taxi.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills