Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HBee
    • By HBee 17th Nov 19, 5:25 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    HBee
    What gift to buy for a family using the food bank?
    • 17th Nov 19, 5:25 PM
    What gift to buy for a family using the food bank? 17th Nov 19 at 5:25 PM
    I would like to buy a gift for a family using our local food bank. I don't know them so this is for an unknown family. I am already donating food so am looking for something different.

In an ideal world if it could be something split into say 4 parcels so each family member could open something, that is theirs but also is something they can play with all together, that would be great.

Don't really want to spend more than £15. Happy to do a bit of diy though!

Does anyone have any ideas?

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Molly; 27-11-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Page 1
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 17th Nov 19, 5:29 PM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 29,196 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    • 17th Nov 19, 5:29 PM
    • 17th Nov 19, 5:29 PM
    Do you know anything about the family? How many adults? How many children? What ages are the children? Without knowing it's hard to suggest ideas.

Maybe you could buy a nice fleece throw and a selection of books they can read as a family?
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 17th Nov 19, 5:32 PM
    • 2,658 Posts
    • 3,136 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 17th Nov 19, 5:32 PM
    • 17th Nov 19, 5:32 PM
    Maybe a board game, cards, smaller toys from the pound shop etc that can be packaged up for a couple of families.

You may want to ask the food bank for advice as to what they deem suitable and appropriate for them to distribute.
    • HBee
    • By HBee 17th Nov 19, 5:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    HBee
    • 17th Nov 19, 5:52 PM
    • 17th Nov 19, 5:52 PM
    I don't know anything about the families they have, i just thought it would be nice to do. I thought of a few ideas that would be just one gift, but would prefer them all to have something to open to relieve the pressure on the parents a bit. I also want something that can be reused and keep them entertained.

Books sounds good, although it reminds me of that video of the boy who wasn't please with books for christmas ��
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 17th Nov 19, 5:59 PM
    • 2,952 Posts
    • 5,280 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    • 17th Nov 19, 5:59 PM
    • 17th Nov 19, 5:59 PM
    It's a lovely idea, but how will that work in practice.

Will you give the gifts to the foodbank, ringfenced for this family specifically, or are you looking to donate to "whoever"?

Who then chooses the whoever?

If there's not enough gifts for all the families, is it first come, first served?
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 17th Nov 19, 6:02 PM
    • 31,709 Posts
    • 81,271 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 17th Nov 19, 6:02 PM
    • 17th Nov 19, 6:02 PM
    You may want to ask the food bank for advice as to what they deem suitable and appropriate for them to distribute.
    Originally posted by MovingForwards
    This ^

But if the FB can't provide presents for all their users, they may not want to get involved.
    • Socajam
    • By Socajam 17th Nov 19, 8:11 PM
    • 634 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    Socajam
    • 17th Nov 19, 8:11 PM
    • 17th Nov 19, 8:11 PM
    Buy them a chess set, something that can benefit the whole family, especially the children.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 19th Nov 19, 7:48 PM
    • 5,043 Posts
    • 39,977 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 19th Nov 19, 7:48 PM
    • 19th Nov 19, 7:48 PM
    Rather than buy for just one family ask the FB because maybe a selection of picture books, card games like 'Happy Families' or jigsaws would be suitable. Most of those items can be bought in excellent condition from charity shops.

Personally I'm not greatly in favour of buying from pound shops- most of that is really cheap tatt which breaks easily and is for binning! (I appreciate not all is, you need to be very choosy!)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

• CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 24th Nov 19, 8:37 AM
    • 8,746 Posts
    • 19,528 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    • 24th Nov 19, 8:37 AM
    • 24th Nov 19, 8:37 AM
    I would suggest card games which can cover multi generations, something like uno, or a board game like checkers,
    As for individual gifts each, hat and glove sets are useful and seasonal

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing

Trying to get by on a single Emergency Services income
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 46\66 IT'S THE YARN
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 26th Nov 19, 11:22 PM
    • 40,275 Posts
    • 37,718 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Definitely talk to the FoodBank, for many of the reasons outlined above.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
    • nodosh3
    • By nodosh3 27th Nov 19, 8:20 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    nodosh3
    Present Dilemma
    I think it is a very nice thought. I have just been reading a book about people not used to food banks being forced into using them for economic reasons and one thing they say is that when budgeting/scrimping they always have to buy second hand or basic buys and that it is a luxury for example to have hair conditioner or top brand cereal instead of basic stuff, so if it was me and I knew little about the family other than their reliance on food, I would buy some luxury/top of the range food items, say a Christmas cake, quality shower gel, chocolate biscuits, a good moisturising cream etc. Just something not from the bargain basement range. Or a family cinema ticket as outings are generally not on the agenda when families are on strict budgets.
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 27th Nov 19, 8:59 AM
    • 275 Posts
    • 900 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    I agree that it might be a bit difficult for the foodbank to get involved because they might not want to gift to one specific family and it could cause upset amongst others who find out one family got and they didn't. If you want to donate specifically to that family I would ask the foodbank themselves their thoughts. There are quite a lot of charities and churches where you can make up one of those shoebox full of gifts for all different ages?
    Saving for:
    Emergency Fund: Complete
    House Deposit: On-Going
    Second-Hand Replacement Car: On-Going
    And whatever else the future brings...
    • piggielady
    • By piggielady 27th Nov 19, 9:46 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    piggielady
    I think that is a lovely idea! I give to our local food bank and whilst i might buy a fivers’ worth of food from Aldi, i do like to put an a ‘treat’ item. Last time I gave six pairs of brand new gloves (label still on) that i bought when a store nearby was closing and some new socks. My local food bank has a treats table where they ask a recipient to choose a treat, which I think is really nice as sometimes a little treat can be a big boost.

Ask the food bank - they probably will be doing some sort of Christmas thing anyway and if you’re like me, would prefer to spend money on something relevant.

Well done for doing such a lovely thing and I hope that you have prompted some of us to do the same thing.
    • Golightly72
    • By Golightly72 27th Nov 19, 11:19 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    Golightly72
    https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk/christmas-present-appeal

My local Salvation Army runs a Christmas present appeal, and these are run across the country, it might be worth looking at donating to this for Christmas gifts?

It is for children of all ages, but I would think you could ask if you could donate to adults too? They usually work directly with families in hardship, so might be able to tell you if they have some families that you could buy for.
    • horsechestnut
    • By horsechestnut 27th Nov 19, 1:31 PM
    • 1,426 Posts
    • 2,804 Thanks
    horsechestnut
    I don't know where you live, but our local Radio Stations both run a Christmas appeal for gifts. These can be dropped off either at the local radio stations or at several named shops.
    Also Tesco not only collect for the Food-bank all year, they also make specific requests nearer Christmas for festive foodstuffs, and have a separate trolley for actual gifts which can either be of your choosing or they also have a tree with gift-tags on it stating the sex and age of the child if you need inspiration. I always buy a pair of character pyjamas for a boy. It is a gift for the child that will last at least until he outgrows them, but also helps the parent in providing clothing and keeps the child warm!
    Oh I am so practical!!!
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 27th Nov 19, 2:19 PM
    • 40,275 Posts
    • 37,718 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    If you go for vouchers, e.g. for the cinema, make sure it will cover a family. Because vouchers for half the cost of such a visit may be no use at all, on a foodbank tight budget.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
    • firebubble
    • By firebubble 27th Nov 19, 2:51 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    firebubble
    You're not going to be able to get them something they actually want if you don't know them, so maybe focus on getting them something which they will use and will free up some cash so they can treat themselves? On that basis, toiletries - nice shower gel, toothpaste and brushes, shampoo and conditioner (particularly if suitable for all hair types, not just caucasian), razor blades, body lotion.
    • Marren
    • By Marren 28th Nov 19, 9:49 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Marren
    Games for all the family
    A great gift is a packet of 10 x 10 coloured dice - available on Amazon for £11.99.

You can play Yahtzee (buy replacement pads) Tenzi (many different game options) or even the old fashioned game of beetle.

With Yahtzee you don't need that many dice or different colours but with Tenzee you do. You need 10 dice each. I played Tenzi with my 3 yr old grandson - we took turns to roll our dice so it was slower but lots of fun. With my 6 & 8 yr old grandsons it was a race to win.

Perhaps buy puzzles from a local charity shop. They always have plenty for all age levels.

Hope this helps.
    • eastcott5
    • By eastcott5 28th Nov 19, 2:59 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    eastcott5
    Hi,

Glad we have a food-bank chat at last. I donate regularly via my local supermarket but I know people who think the users are all scroungers. My neighbour is involved in distribution and they always put a list up locally of shortage items, including things like toothpaste.. I don't know how your plan would work - prewrap with a label or contact the local centre directly. I like the idea of an Xmas 'food' bank - nice biscuits, crackers, small games, UNO. My daughter in law lives in Sussex and they are asked to send money directly to the local trust who get items from the cash and carry in bulk! Not the same.
    We had a customer steal stuff from the local food bank box as it was 'free' food. He had already done his shopping !
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 30th Nov 19, 9:36 PM
    • 2,701 Posts
    • 25,119 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    How about a £15 gift card. for a supermarket, or a generic love shopping type thing, or for a cinema. The foodbank is going to make sure they are fed, but if they could choose something for themselves, or maybe free up a little bit of cash to buy a bit more gas/electric and not worry about the lights going out. Key/card meters are a scourge on the poor and renters.
    MFW#65 5/16 £118,3 10/17£109,4 12/17 £108,85/18£106,9 6/18£105,9, 8/18£103,9 9/18£102,9 10/18£101,9 11/18£101,3 12/18£100,7 1/19 £99,999 1/3 £98,91/4 £98,5 1/5 £97,9 1/6 £97,5 1/8 £96,5 1/9 £95,9.1/10 £95,51/11£94,999.99L&C Referal code- https://referme.to/GNNHtJo
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,424Posts Today

8,186Users online

Martin's Twitter