emirates flight 1h5m connection at dubai realistic?

I'm planning to travel to malaysia on december.

London (any airport) to penang, malaysia

I seem to be getting a lot of emirates flights connecting in dubai with really short 1h5m connections. I am worried this does not leave any room for us to land, make way to the airport floor and find our way back to connecting gate in time.

SInce the flight is booked together as one "flight" will emirates sort us out with an alternative flight if our connection is missed.

What if the plane lands on time but due to immigration and security checks inbetween the flights cause us to miss out connecting flights will emirates still take care of our connecting flight or is it not their responsibility?

Comments

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,188 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I've done London to KL many times through Dubai using the same time window. As long as you don't dilly-dally - you'll be through their security screen quickly, and will usually have to transfer from one terminal to another using their connecting train. The luggage gets transferred for you - and if you're really late - there'll be someone waiting to get you through more quickly. I've done it 4-5 times and never missed a connecting flight.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the re-assurance, I'm just wondering what hppens if the connection is late and the flights are all booked together as part of the same journey. Will the airline cover us for another flight or is it down to travel insurance to reimburse us.

I went thailand 2 years ago, and we flew back via emirates from BKK to LHR via DBX. The depearture was late by 1hr, and then we were boarded on the plane and ready to take off and were on the queue to runway for another hour. This caused us to miss our connection but it was all down to the delay in the flight so they got us onto the next available flight FOC,
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Don't worry, it's plenty of time, in case of any delay etc Emirates will take care of you with onward rebooking (as you've already experienced) and accommodation if necessary. There's no immigration in transit at Dubai.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • 65 minutes is tight, especially if you get parked remotely or the distance between gates is large.

If you do miss the connection, Emirates will rebook you on the next available flight, but that means a late arrival in Penang, so you could lose a day's accommodation or miss any other travel you have arranged.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Your flight into Dubai could easily be caught in a 'stack'.

Also, make sure you've got your wits about you. Dubai Airport is all bright lights.....more like a mega shopping mall that just happens to have an airport inside it.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Doable, but tight. Be prepared for a very quick walk between gates.

As others have said, if you miss it EK will reaccommodate you on the next EK flight with availability.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,201 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    From frequent experience with Dubai transit, I would say that's really tight. My husband would freak out at anything less than 2 hours.

However, as others have said, on a through booking, Emirates will do their utmost to get you to your connecting flight on time. There are frequently airside staff waiting as you disembark, to whisk you off to your next flight. If you're lucky, you'll might get a buggy ride;)
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    When we had connecting flights with them at Dubai it involved going out of a secure area (involving scanning of hand luggage and body checks) to get into the main terminal. There was quite a queue to do this and we had Fast Track passes to speed us through.

After that we had to get the train to change terminals and then go back through another security check for our outgoing flight.

We had 3 hours plus for this which was plenty of time. Personally I think 1 hour 5 minutes is pushing your luck as it assumes that you arrive on time, get off the plane quickly and don't have a lengthy walk to the main terminal.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I use Emirates frequently and yes, you can transit in that time, but do you really want to? I've done it and would prefer not to do it again despite the fact that the airline will take care of me if I miss the next flight. I prefer to travel in a more relaxed manner.

All Emirates flights in Dubai are to/from Terminal 3 so if you see that on your searches don't go thinking it's better than described above. The references to trains are for the train between different Concourses within Terminal 3.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I go through Dubai regularly and try to avoid any connection under 2 hours. Yes, it is possible but just adds to the stress and I much prefer using the stopover to freshen up and have a wander around the airport to stretch my legs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure