Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • creditpunch
    • By creditpunch 12th Oct 19, 11:17 AM
    • 283Posts
    • 164Thanks
    creditpunch
    0 WOW
    Holiday cancellation and insurance claim
    • 12th Oct 19, 11:17 AM
    0 WOW
    Holiday cancellation and insurance claim 12th Oct 19 at 11:17 AM
    Hi there

Can I get advice please? Iíve booked a holiday for myself and ds, in a group of 17 (4 families). My friend was the lead booker and we all had to transfer money to her to pay the deposit (£900 in my case). The airline has changed the return flights and Which is not suitable for me due to work commitments, so Iíve cancelled. I intend to claim my deposit back on my holiday insurance but the fact I didnít pay it on my credit/debit car would I still be covered?

Many thanks
    CP

Page 1
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 12th Oct 19, 11:47 AM
    • 20,391 Posts
    • 47,261 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 12th Oct 19, 11:47 AM
    • 12th Oct 19, 11:47 AM
    I doubt you will be able to claim for this cancellation on your insurance, have you checked? If the flight change was significant (more than 12 hours usually) the tour operator should have offered you a full refund.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • creditpunch
    • By creditpunch 12th Oct 19, 11:50 AM
    • 283 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    creditpunch
    • 12th Oct 19, 11:50 AM
    • 12th Oct 19, 11:50 AM
    Thank you. No itís not more than 12hrs but enough to affect me getting to work in time. I havenít contacted my insurer yet.

• Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 12th Oct 19, 12:05 PM
    • 2,837 Posts
    • 5,087 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    • 12th Oct 19, 12:05 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 12:05 PM
    I'd doubt you're covered in those circumstances. No harm in asking.

Effectively you've chosen not to travel. Your work commitments are not your insurers concern.

You could still travel....but face the wrath of the workplace!
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 12th Oct 19, 12:47 PM
    • 37,635 Posts
    • 23,274 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 12th Oct 19, 12:47 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 12:47 PM
    Nearly always better to look at name change costs and see if a substitute traveller can be found.

Did the lead book as a package or DIY?
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 12th Oct 19, 1:50 PM
    • 8,983 Posts
    • 14,829 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 12th Oct 19, 1:50 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 1:50 PM
    Thank you. No it’s not more than 12hrs but enough to affect me getting to work in time. I haven’t contacted my insurer yet.
    Originally posted by creditpunch
    If getting to work on time is so critical, how would you have coped if your original flight home was delayed by several hours eg by bad weather, ATC issues etc?
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

MFW #4 (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    2019 YTD £1123.85 (£700 offset), Nov £50

Everything will be alright in the end so, if itís not yet alright, it means itís not yet the end
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 12th Oct 19, 3:46 PM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 12th Oct 19, 3:46 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 3:46 PM
    Also by you pulling out ,does this not affect the holiday cost of the rest of the group?
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • photome
    • By photome 12th Oct 19, 3:51 PM
    • 14,305 Posts
    • 9,800 Thanks
    photome
    • 12th Oct 19, 3:51 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 3:51 PM
    Also by you pulling out ,does this not affect the holiday cost of the rest of the group?
    Originally posted by Ganga
    I think this is very likely in which case the rest of the party might be looking for more money from you ( the OP)

I doubt wether the deposit is
    A refundable
    B. Covered by insurance.

What did the lead booker say when you wanted to cancel
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 12th Oct 19, 5:47 PM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 12th Oct 19, 5:47 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 5:47 PM
    I think this is very likely in which case the rest of the party might be looking for more money from you ( the OP)

I doubt wether the deposit is
    A refundable
    B. Covered by insurance.

What did the lead booker say when you wanted to cancel
    Originally posted by photome
    And have you told them
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 12th Oct 19, 5:50 PM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 1,225 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Insurance policies do not cover for disinclination to travel. Pulling out will likely have an affect on the price of the holiday for the others so I would expect the lead passenger to be coming back to you for more money.

If the change of flight schedule is enough to interfere with your going back to work it sounds like you really didn't allow enough contingency time. A flight could easily be delayed by several hours due to tech problems, weather, ATC etc etc. What would you have done then?
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 12th Oct 19, 6:14 PM
    • 7,227 Posts
    • 7,838 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    creditpunch, when you say "you" have cancelled, I presume you mean you have pulled your entire family from the holiday as £900 deposit would seem excessive for one person. How many people are now not travelling?
    Will the others have to pay any extra because of your withdrawal, and if so do you plan to compensate them for that? If a single booking has been made for x people it may not be as straightforward as contacting the tour operator and removing a group of people.

As a general observation, if anybody is doing a booking for multiple groups of people it is always advisable to have a formal contract stipulating exactly what the process will be for anybody wishing to pull out, whatever the reason.
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Oct 19, 7:23 PM
    • 20,886 Posts
    • 123,835 Thanks
    maman
    I'm curious who OP has cancelled with. Is that just by telling the lead person of her intention? We don't know if this is a booking with a travel company or DIY but I wouldn't think a company would deal with other than the lead. We need more information to advise with any certainty.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 12th Oct 19, 7:55 PM
    • 26,188 Posts
    • 13,357 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    This post confirms why I think it is never a good idea to book holidays on behalf of other people - if they want to travel with you give them the details and let them do their own booking.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 12th Oct 19, 9:31 PM
    • 7,227 Posts
    • 7,838 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    This post confirms why I think it is never a good idea to book holidays on behalf of other people - if they want to travel with you give them the details and let them do their own booking.
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever

That's exactly what we intent to do. We may be travelling with other family members, a total of 4 couples, but I intend to make my own bookings. That way I decide our baggage allowance, what meals we want, where we sit etc. We also have the freedom to choose a different carrier if we so wish, as long as we end up in the same place.
    • creditpunch
    • By creditpunch 14th Oct 19, 1:39 AM
    • 283 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    creditpunch
    This was a flight and hotel holiday put together by an online based travel agent. Of course the lead/group is aware of my intentions. The group booking has many flaws due to the incompetence of the agent we used imo and I am not the only family querying options to either change/cancel. Plus this change on the agent/airlines part is one of many since we booked earlier this year costing me an additional £200, however this last one is impacting my work. As I am cancelling one booked room (not sharing with other parts of the group) and flights were cost price, there is no impact to the rest of the group.

Back to the question at hand....

The focus of the question is whether I can claim on my insurance (whether upheld or not and for whatever reason of which I don’t need comment on) would it be impacted by the fact I didn’t directly pay for my deposit, it was the lead passenger.

I’ll speak to my insurer.

• Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 14th Oct 19, 7:59 AM
    • 2,837 Posts
    • 5,087 Thanks
    Sea Shell

The focus of the question is whether I can claim on my insurance (whether upheld or not and for whatever reason of which I donít need comment on) would it be impacted by the fact I didnít directly pay for my deposit, it was the lead passenger.

Iíll speak to my insurer.
    Just because the travel plans no longer suit your requirements is not going to be covered by your travel insurance!! Regardless as to who's the lead passenger and who paid the deposit. As someone else mentioned, this comes under "disinclination to travel"

By all means ring them....but be prepared for the answer to be NO!
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 14th Oct 19, 8:44 AM
    • 867 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Maybe we need to adopt the "tell people what they want to hear" approach that another forum user implemented over the weekend.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 14th Oct 19, 9:30 AM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    Ganga
    Maybe we need to adopt the "tell people what they want to hear" approach that another forum user implemented over the weekend.
    Originally posted by bradders1983
    Now dont you go annoying others on this forum by telling the truth
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 14th Oct 19, 10:13 AM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 1,225 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict

The focus of the question is whether I can claim on my insurance (whether upheld or not and for whatever reason of which I donít need comment on) would it be impacted by the fact I didnít directly pay for my deposit, it was the lead passenger.

To what end? You've changed your mind about travelling. Insurance does not cover for such events. We don't have cancel for any reason policies in the UK.
    • photome
    • By photome 14th Oct 19, 4:02 PM
    • 14,305 Posts
    • 9,800 Thanks
    photome
    This was a flight and hotel holiday put together by an online based travel agent. Of course the lead/group is aware of my intentions. The group booking has many flaws due to the incompetence of the agent we used imo and I am not the only family querying options to either change/cancel. Plus this change on the agent/airlines part is one of many since we booked earlier this year costing me an additional £200, however this last one is impacting my work. As I am cancelling one booked room (not sharing with other parts of the group) and flights were cost price, there is no impact to the rest of the group.

please update the discussion with the outcome
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

2,333Users online

Martin's Twitter