Where can a get a bank draft in Hong Kong Dollars?

Options
I'm applying for a visa. The embassy insists on receiving the visa fee by way of a bank draft made out in $HK.
It should be from a bank with a connected bank in Hong Kong.
My bank only does bank drafts in US dollars or Euros. I've tried the Post Office and various high street bureau de change. I tried a few big banks including HSBC. I tried Thomas Cook.
Nowhere seems to offer the service. It's really frustrating that the stumbling block is a £25 fee, I'd happily pay 4X that if they'd just accept the money and other way!
Google just comes up with adverts for different ways of sending money. Everywhere I ask they send me to another high street shop or bank, none of which actually do it.

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Visa for...?
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you asked the embassy? I am sure that you are not the first person to encounter this problem...
  • comment_as...
    Options
    Hong Kong .
  • comment_as...
    Options
    No reply as of yet. I'm in a hurry, I deliberately left it late so I could earn as much as possible before leaving my job to travel. I thought it would be a simple enough thing for any bank to do
  • Kentish_Dave
    Options
    Well, if I had to speculate I’d say, given their name, that you try HSBC.
  • comment_as...
    Options
    Already tried
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Which bank are you with?
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Hong Kong .

It seems that you are deliberately making this as painful as is possible.
    Clearly if you had a British passport, you would not need a visa. So why not give the relevant information in the first instance?
    Like your passport and with whom you bank.

There is clearly no reason why the Chinese Embassy in the U.K would expect you to pay in HK$, so it seems likely that you are not applying via an Embassy at all, but directly to the Hong Kong Immigration department.
    The only people required to apply direct to HKSAR are Indian nationals, overseas Chinese or residents of the Republic of Taiwan.

So it appears that you are referring to the Hong Kong Immigration department, not an Embassy.

Irritating.

You can just call them if you are in a hurry.

For more information, please contact the Immigration Department by enquiry hotline at (852) 2824 6111, by fax at (852) 2877 7711, by e-mail to enquiry@immd.gov.hk, or visit the Immigration Department’s website at https://www.immd.gov.hk.
  • comment_as...
    Options
    Halifax, already tried them though and they only do bank drafts in US$ and Euros
  • comment_as...
    Options
    No-one can apply via a chinese embassy. I think you mean a Chinese Visa Centre. They can take applications but it takes much longer and is more expensive. Also Hong Kong isn't too keen on China atm so I'd rather not have that printed on my passport.
    I do have a British passport and I bank with Halifax. None of this is really relevant though, i'm just being polite by explaining what I need the draft for. Where they're available doesn't change depending on my plans.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure