Change supplier as a new tenant

ywlgy
ywlgy Posts: 146 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi,

I just moved into a flat last week and am thinking to find a cheap electricity supplier. I don't know the current supplier and haven't received any letters addressed to 'new occupier'. Should I

directly sign up with the new supplier

or

find out the current supplier, tell them I moved in, have an account with them, and then start the switch process?

I personally prefer option 1 because it's much simpler. But I don't know if it is OK.

Comments

• bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    The latter is the only way to do it.

Do/try it the first way and you're in for a world of pain.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Simpler yes - but more expensive.

You must contact the existing supplier and set up your account or you may find yourself lumbered with the previous tenants debt.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • ywlgy
    Thank you for prompt replies! I feel so lucky that I asked here before I do sth stupid.
    I am still waiting for meter readings from management and it's been a week. I believe the previous tenant moved out on 1 Aug and landlord did some work between 1-23 Aug. If I get a reading next week and give it to the existing supplier, will they accept the reading as my opening reading? I didn't stay in the new flat last week.
  • bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    You're responsible from when your tenancy started; if that's directly after the previous tenants moved out then your opening reading should be essentially the same as the previous tenants closing readings.

If your tenancy started later, then the landlord would be responsible for the interim period. I take it you're now responsible for the energy (tenancy start date 23rd?) - so you need to obtain accurate meter readings asap.
  • ywlgy
    Yes, the tenancy started from 23rd. Everything is switched off for the past week so I think the reading should be similar to that on 23rd. I will give the management a call tomorrow.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi,

as already said, you must take a meter reading now, or even a photie of meter, then that is your record.

You can compare it to what management gives you as a check.

There are numerous stories on here of management/letting agents supposed to have taken reading then months later when tenant gets first bill there is chaos.

Take a reading now.
  • DingerUK
    DingerUK Posts: 64 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 August 2019 at 7:55AM
    Your local network operator will be ale to tell you who the current supplier is. https://www.powercut105.com/ Once you know the network operator you can give them your address to find out. My network operator has a search tool on their website.

For the really geeky (like me!) there’s more info here. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meter_Point_Administration_Number
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Do not rely on someone else to give you a meter reading - do it yourself or insist on being there when the meter is being read. It's your responsibility to pay the bill so ensure that you take responsibilty to check that the reading is correct.

Get into the habit of reading the meters every month and sending the readings into your supplier and CHECK your on-line account every month to ensure that your readings are being used. Dont accept estimated bills, get them corrected if they are wrong.

It's also worth saving all communications with your supplier (welcome packs, monthly bills etc). You dont need to print it all but save them as PDF's, it can save you a lot of grief in the future if you've kept your own records. Maintaining your own record will help you understand your energy consumption and enable you to control it better - you wont end up under or overpaying either.

95% of the problems on this forum are the result of people not checking their bills or taking meter readings. They then find that they've underpaid because their bills have been estimated or they've been paying for previous tenant's arrears.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ywlgy wrote: »
    I am still waiting for meter readings from management and it's been a week......................

Never, never
    rely on others to read the meter. It's probably in a communal meter cupboard to which you need access.

There is plenty of opportunity for a meter mixup - prove it is yours by switching off at the meter and seeing if your flat looses his supply. Make a note of the serial number and check against your bill when you get one.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • ywlgy
    Thanks. I wish I could read it by myself but it was locked somewhere. My usual contact went for annual leave and the management company never answers the phone. I will insist on being present when the meter is read.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure