Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Molly
    • By MSE Molly 8th Aug 19, 3:41 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 8Thanks
    MSE Molly
    What mistakes have you made when reclaiming your PPI? Letís make sure others donít fall foul!
    • 8th Aug 19, 3:41 PM
    What mistakes have you made when reclaiming your PPI? Letís make sure others donít fall foul! 8th Aug 19 at 3:41 PM
    Hello Forumites!

The deadline for PPI complaints is drawing closer, and time is of the essence.
    Click here for our MSE Urgent Reclaim Guide.

And whilst we know that there are scores of success stories (wahoo!) - here at MSE Towers, we also appreciate that some of you might be feeling anxious about the ticking clock which allows you to get back money you are owed.

So instead, lets turn our negatives into positives! What mistakes have you made when reclaiming your PPI over the years? And how did you get around it?

Share them on this thread so we can all make sure that others donít fall foul of the same errors! Keep it friendly - and lets do our best to help each other over the next few weeks!

- MSE Molly

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter,MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    To report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • Nearlyold
    • By Nearlyold 8th Aug 19, 4:47 PM
    • 1,347 Posts
    • 1,203 Thanks
    Nearlyold
    • 8th Aug 19, 4:47 PM
    • 8th Aug 19, 4:47 PM
    The most common mistake is not actually having had any PPI.

The most expensive mistake is using a claims company.
    Last edited by Nearlyold; 08-08-2019 at 5:10 PM.
    • klew356
    • By klew356 14th Aug 19, 8:19 AM
    • 543 Posts
    • 2,586 Thanks
    klew356
    • 14th Aug 19, 8:19 AM
    • 14th Aug 19, 8:19 AM
    biggest mistake was not having PPI in the first place!
    • The_squirrell
    • By The_squirrell 14th Aug 19, 8:42 AM
    • 125 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    The_squirrell
    • 14th Aug 19, 8:42 AM
    • 14th Aug 19, 8:42 AM
    Some of the biggest mistakes that I see, although the list is endless......

Complaints where no PPI was taken
    Complaints relating to mortgages taken out 30 years ago, where an address cannot be remembered but the reasons for mis-sale are as clear as day!
    Complaints using Claims Management companies
    Complaints where it is felt that just because an account had PPI that it was automatically mis-sold
    I work in Data Protection and spend my days dealing with CMC's. Only here trying to help!!
    • Bearothebear
    • By Bearothebear 14th Aug 19, 10:16 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Bearothebear
    • 14th Aug 19, 10:16 AM
    • 14th Aug 19, 10:16 AM
    When we took out our mortgage with Halifax in 1982 I remember being asked if we wanted PPI and we said no. We paid most of the mortgage off by 1997, leaving £100 to pay to keep it in deedstore, and I paid that off completely a few years ago. I had no paperwork remaining, but applied for PPI just in case we’d had it. Halifax said we never had it. I’ll never know whether we did or not.
    • The_squirrell
    • By The_squirrell 14th Aug 19, 10:25 AM
    • 125 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    The_squirrell
    • 14th Aug 19, 10:25 AM
    • 14th Aug 19, 10:25 AM
    When we took out our mortgage with Halifax in 1982 I remember being asked if we wanted PPI and we said no. We paid most of the mortgage off by 1997, leaving £100 to pay to keep it in deedstore, and I paid that off completely a few years ago. I had no paperwork remaining, but applied for PPI just in case weíd had it. Halifax said we never had it. Iíll never know whether we did or not.
    Originally posted by Bearothebear

You said No. Halifax said No. I would suggest that the answer is quite clear on this one.
    I work in Data Protection and spend my days dealing with CMC's. Only here trying to help!!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Aug 19, 10:44 AM
    • 24,335 Posts
    • 13,836 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 14th Aug 19, 10:44 AM
    • 14th Aug 19, 10:44 AM
    Complaints where it is felt that just because an account had PPI that it was automatically mis-sold
    Originally posted by The_squirrell
    Complaints where it is felt that just because an account had absolutely any kind of insurance that it must "qualify for PPI" and so be automatically mis-sold.
    • SonOf
    • By SonOf 14th Aug 19, 11:02 AM
    • 695 Posts
    • 840 Thanks
    SonOf
    • 14th Aug 19, 11:02 AM
    • 14th Aug 19, 11:02 AM
    You said No. Halifax said No. I would suggest that the answer is quite clear on this one.
    Originally posted by The_squirrell
    It wouldn't stop some people referring it to the FOS as they were not getting their compensation.
    • Rubybiker
    • By Rubybiker 14th Aug 19, 2:59 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rubybiker
    • 14th Aug 19, 2:59 PM
    Ppi
    • 14th Aug 19, 2:59 PM
    I can't remember if we had it or not, would be going back 30, 40, + years, don't have much paperwork from back then. the only thing we had was payinga monthy amount into bank each month for holiday ins, car breakdown etc. I never knew what this was for for years, just thought it was something we had to pay back then, I have since used it a couple of times, but not sure I want it now except that the holiday ins runs till we are 80 which is a small plus. Not sure if that counts as PPI.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 14th Aug 19, 3:02 PM
    • 23,294 Posts
    • 25,836 Thanks
    zx81
    No. Holiday insurance is holiday insurance, not PPI.

It sounds like you bought a packaged bank account.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Aug 19, 9:05 PM
    • 24,335 Posts
    • 13,836 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Post #7:
    Complaints where it is felt that just because an account had absolutely any kind of insurance that it must "qualify for PPI" and so be automatically mis-sold.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Post # 9
    paying a monthly amount into bank each month for holiday ins, car breakdown Not sure if that counts as PPI.
    Originally posted by Rubybiker
    I rest my case

This thread is also veering wildly off topic...
    • b.brown53
    • By b.brown53 15th Aug 19, 5:35 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    b.brown53
    Are banks dishonest?
    Is it a mistake to believe a lender when they say you haven't been sold any PPI? Especially if the original lender's policies were taken over by other establishments 2 or 3 times? Also, being told by one Life Insurance company that PPI is never attached to these type of products, I then did not contact other life insurance companies we had policies with. Was I an idiot?
    Bridget:
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th Aug 19, 5:38 PM
    • 23,294 Posts
    • 25,836 Thanks
    zx81
    No. .
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Aug 19, 5:55 PM
    • 24,335 Posts
    • 13,836 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I don't think the MSE originator of this thread intended it to "progress" in the manner it has...

being told by one Life Insurance company that PPI is never attached to these type of products, I then did not contact other life insurance companies we had policies with.
    Originally posted by b.brown53
    Life Insurance is NOT in any way PPI. It is certainly a mistake to assume so
    • Gonna-be-debt-free
    • By Gonna-be-debt-free 15th Aug 19, 7:06 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Gonna-be-debt-free
    Hello Forumites!

The deadline for PPI complaints is drawing closer, and time is of the essence.
    Click here for our MSE Urgent Reclaim Guide.

And whilst we know that there are scores of success stories (wahoo!) - here at MSE Towers, we also appreciate that some of you might be feeling anxious about the ticking clock which allows you to get back money you are owed.

So instead, lets turn our negatives into positives! What mistakes have you made when reclaiming your PPI over the years? And how did you get around it?

Share them on this thread so we can all make sure that others don’t fall foul of the same errors! Keep it friendly - and lets do our best to help each other over the next few weeks!

- MSE Molly
    Originally posted by MSE Molly
    My biggest mistake so far was leaving it late. I came on here several times to get some inspiration for what to do, but was very put off by a strongly opinionated minority who seem to be bizarrely vocal in their anti PPI-reclaim vigor. Fortunately I was able to convince myself to just get on and do it

Second biggest mistake was using Resolver. I lost a week out of my available 4 weeks that way. I started off using the Resolver PPI tool, but didn't get any response or acknowledgement that way. Luckily I found out that by going directly to the FSA website I could get straight through to the relevant section of each bank's website, and it would even guide me through which bank has been taken over my which over the years.

Third mistake - not having a good filing system. Ironically I had all of my relevant statements, but have had to spend a day turning my study upside down looking for my marriage certificate because Barclay's say they will cancel my complaint if I don't change my name on my card.

Fourth mistake - not realising how stressful this is for people. I am helping a relative and two friends (separately) through the process because it caused such anxiety for them that they weren't even able to get started.
    Last edited by Gonna-be-debt-free; 15-08-2019 at 7:07 PM. Reason: typo
    • sun73
    • By sun73 15th Aug 19, 10:06 PM
    • 462 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    sun73
    Biggest mistake was destroying most of our PPI evidence before any of this kicked off
    • SonOf
    • By SonOf 15th Aug 19, 11:38 PM
    • 695 Posts
    • 840 Thanks
    SonOf
    then did not contact other life insurance companies we had policies with.
    What do life assurance companies have to do with PPI?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,794Posts Today

6,171Users online

Martin's Twitter