PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Who else forages?

Former_MSE_Tine
Former_MSE_Tine Posts: 325 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Intrepid Forum Explorer
edited 19 June 2019 at 10:12AM in Old style MoneySaving
As a long time fan of foraging (even as a kid I went shrooming with my aunt and uncle... I was probably more hindrance than help, but I loved it!) I've over the years (and through several countries) foraged blueberries, cranberries, mushrooms, nettles, apples, blackberries, horseradish, elderflower and berries, sloes and multiple other goodies.

(DO check our Free Food Guide - point 9 for more info on where you are allowed to forage :) )

I'd love to know who else is an avid Forager and what you normally find and what you do with it?:money:
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter,
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change

Comments

• tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    i like picking blackberries but thats about it....love making bramble jeyy its a lovely colour and tastes fab
    onwards and upwards
  • I always go foraging for blackberries. Also sometimes get crab apples, damsons, bullaces, rosehips and sloes. Just made 5 litres of elderflower cordial yesterday. I wish I was more educated and could look for more.
  • My wife and I are avid foragers. In late summer and autumn we forage for blackberries, rose hips, apples and cherries. Right now, we are picking a roadside weed we call plantain, from which my wife makes a herbal rub for aching limbs and back pain - she is Thai and uses it as a massage balm in her traditional Thai massage therapy business.
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I always go foraging for blackberries. Also sometimes get crab apples, damsons, bullaces, rosehips and sloes. Just made 5 litres of elderflower cordial yesterday. I wish I was more educated and could look for more.

i quite fancy having a go at the cordial is it easy to make ?
    onwards and upwards
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Meeee! I live on the edge between town & country so practice both rural and urban foraging. Many residents of our little town have become so used to me knocking and asking whether I can pick their apples/pears/japonica quinces in autumn that they've got some waiting in a bag for me! I always return a jar of whatever I've made with them. One local Freecycler with a small orchard always sends me an email in autumn saying, they're ready, come & get them!

I've just bottled up my second batch of elderflower champagne for this year; you can buy the cordial relatively cheaply, but not champagne & there's nothing like a glass at Christmas to bring the summer flooding back in. Elderflower fritters are rather nice, and I usually make strawberry & elderflower jam (just throw a handful of the flowers, stripped off their stalks, into your jam as it approaches setting point, and some lime juice helps bring out the flavour) too. It's been really rainy for a couple of weeks now, though, and though there are plenty of flowers still coming out, I doubt they'll have much flavour, though I'm quite prepared to be corrected!

Out on the drove roads through the countryside to the west, in autumn I can usually find hazelnuts, walnuts, crab apples, sloes and yet more blackberries. (Which always remind me of the days when I used to pick them along the edges of the Tube lines in London.) At this time of year, in one or two places where there used to be cottages & gardens, I can find blackberries, gooseberries and redcurrants; the plants have survived even though the habitations are just bumps in the ground now & don't appear on any maps.

It's interesting what the plants can tell you about the history of an area; Babington's Leek (edible!) grows in our front garden, which only appears on the site of old monastery kitchen gardens; indeed there was a monastery here once, but it went in the Dissolution of the Monasteries nearly 500 years ago - but the plants are still here!

I'm 60 now and have been foraging just about all my life - my Dad was a dedicated forager - but I'm still learning. Yesterday I brought back an armful of goosefoot "weeds" from the edge of our allotment for our chickens, only to discover that we can eat them too! Too late, alas... they went down those beaks like moonshine. Ah well, unfortunately there are plenty more where they came from...
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • I forage too. Blackberries and sloes, but I have also picked up and used apples, crab apples, elderflowers elderberries and rowans in the past. I've used sloes mainly for sloe gin, but also made jelly from them, elderberry cordial (good for colds) and elderflower champagne and for flavouring gooseberry jelly.

Unfortunately OH hates elderflower, so I don't tend to make very much with them now.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • I would love to try making elderflower champagne. I tend to stick with cordial at the moment. I have a recipe written down for a blackberry and elderberry cordial which I would like to try in the autumn. I'm hoping it will taste like the ribena winter spice they did as a limited edition.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Me, I made elderflower cordial a couple of days ago, I make sloe gin, blackberry vodka every year.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • ecogeorge
    ecogeorge Posts: 25 Forumite
    About to bottle 2 gals of rhubarb wine, elderflower wine in demi-johns , elder flower champagne bottled..
    Local wild garlic almost over , allottment looking good -already picked lettuce/raddish/purple sprouting -broad beans any day ....... yum.
  • I do collect Blackberrys but I need to know how to use other fruits in recipes. It's knowing what is safe to pick. On a walk this weekend with my sister we seen lots of cherry trees but we don't know if they are safe to eat???🤔🍒🤔
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure