PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Who else forages?

Comments

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Check out Penniless Parenting's blog. She has an ebook about foraging. I think she is American living in somewhere in the middle east, but doesn't say, just refers to 'the local area where I live'. She has a great blog with loads of frugal tips.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    http://www.pennilessparenting.com/

On the right hand side of her home page, there's a thing to complete with your email to sign up for her ebook.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    purpleivy wrote: »
    http://www.pennilessparenting.com/

On the right hand side of her home page, there's a thing to complete with your email to sign up for her ebook.

Thanks for the link. Her blog looks very interesting. (Another rabbit hole to fall down at lunchtime....)

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • I will forage anything I can do (to the obvious point of not taking to much for other creatures and not on anyone's land without permission). I love it. I'm hoping that I can make more with the blackberries this year.

I don't know whether anyone else has experienced this but I am sure there has been a shift in the world. 10 years odd ago it would be ok to pick blackberries but I've been told off by loads of people for being so "stupid" to forage for my own stuff when I could buy it. Sometimes I even make sure noone can see me now as I hate having the "talk"!!
  • snilloct1957
    snilloct1957 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I don't know whether anyone else has experienced this but I am sure there has been a shift in the world. 10 years odd ago it would be ok to pick blackberries but I've been told off by loads of people for being so "stupid" to forage for my own stuff when I could buy it. Sometimes I even make sure no-one can see me now as I hate having the "talk"!![/QUOTE]

Yeah, you can buy them, but where's the fun in paying £1 or more for a few ounces of berries when you can pick them for free. Plus, it's a social activity with the grandchildren, and you can teach them to cook and make jam as well. :A
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Oh yes, I've been "huffed" at! I just smile sweetly and say, "Well, this way I know where it came from..." And 30-odd years ago, when I was blackberrying along the Metropolitan Line, people used to ask me, "How d'you know they're blackberries? Supposing they're just something that looks like blackberries?" Telling them that there are hundreds of types of blackberry, and the only thing that looks like blackberries is other types of blackberry, generally didn't convince them at all.

We won't mention eating various things that have met a sad end by challenging a 4x4... it's totally a kind of foraging, but very much a country pursuit & doesn't tend to go down very well with those of a delicate (generally urban) disposition.

But there's also what I do with the products of my foraging; I dehydrate, I ferment, and I make jams, jellies & chutneys. And that's when I really get the lifted eyebrows and the, "Why bother? You can just buy this stuff in W8rose!" It's no good telling them it's quite simply not the same thing at all...
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Camomile
    Camomile Posts: 90 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Long time ago since I stopped reacting to some derogatory comments about foraging, second hand items and so on. Just smile and ignore.

Sadly common sense is gone, too many rules and regulations including safety of anything. Made me start doubting myself that the stuff I picked and ate as a kid might be inedible and so on.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Camomile wrote: »
    Long time ago since I stopped reacting to some derogatory comments about foraging, second hand items and so on. Just smile and ignore.

Sadly common sense is gone, too many rules and regulations including safety of anything. Made me start doubting myself that the stuff I picked and ate as a kid might be inedible and so on.

Well, obviously it was terribly dangerous and inedible, as you’re still with us. :rotfl:.

It’s not safety, it’s ignorance. These are the same people who’ll offer you £10 for something that took 3 weeks to make and £30 of raw materials. They’re fools. (I could rant for hours, being a crafter.)

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • Camomile
    Camomile Posts: 90 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Well, obviously it was terribly dangerous and inedible, as you’re still with us. :rotfl:.

It’s not safety, it’s ignorance. These are the same people who’ll offer you £10 for something that took 3 weeks to make and £30 of raw materials. They’re fools. (I could rant for hours, being a crafter.)

- Pip
    PipneyJane, I can fully understand being cautious with stuff that might cost your life like berries or mushrooms. I used to forage as a kid, I know my stuff, what I don’t know I try to find out about or leave it well alone.
    I bet nobody who died or survived eating poisonous mushrooms and is currently awaiting kidney/liver transplant ate them knowing they were poisonous..
    I’m surprised (or not anymore) at food paranoia of some people and their eating habits. Not sure it’s because they don’t know any better or they can’t think out of the box(sorry for office jargon).
    Knowledge is power, but also trust has a major role. I trusted my parents and family friends who taught me what is safe to eat. Would you be able to trust somebody and gamble your life/health?
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    In the old days we were careful about where we picked brambles and 'hedgerow jam" ( brambles with rose, hips, sloes, elderberries..) from. Always back roads cause of the possibility of lead build up from car fumes but that's not an issue now.

My pink elderflower champagne is lovely, fizzy and delicious now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure