Unable to pay deposit in full what can i do?

Options
I have recieved a letter today saying if i dont pay the remaining £250 of my holiday deposit i will be taken to court. Im unable to pay it just now as im currently being switched to universal credit and have no money to pay it just now. Would ramsey travel accept a small payment each fortnight/month until i can get back on my feet?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What did they say when you asked them?
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Usually failure to pay the deposit (assuming 2 part deposit here) means losing the holiday and all monies paid to date.

Why would they take you to court???

Did you pay an initial deposit?
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why are you even considering taking a holiday if your circumstances suggest you shouldn't be?
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,366 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear of adverse circumstances - however, as alluded to above, if you can't afford the deposit, how can you settle the final balance ?

Then there's the follow on monetary needs - holiday spending money etc.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The travel company may accept a payment plan if you can convince them you can't afford anything else, as its probably easier than taking you to court.
    But the only people who can say for sure is them. Have you contacted them to explain your circumstances?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    is this a holiday you still plan to take or are they requesting of the remainder of the deposit for cancelling a low deposit holiday?
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Has to be the second part of a "low deposit" deposit, in which case they have every right to ask you for it and you are liable if you read the terms and conditions you probably didnt read when you booked it, you wont be the first to get caught out by this and wont be the last.
  • jenny54321
    jenny54321 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    how come your able to afford a holiday on universal credit ???? im working and cant afford one and dont get benefits
  • macaroniandpizza
    Options
    Initially when i booked the holiday i did have the means for my holiday as i was in work but in between my hours drastically being cut resulting in the UC claim and a close family member being terminally ill things have been spun on their head and now im not in any position to go the holiday
  • macaroniandpizza
    Options
    Jenny54321 when i was working i could afford the holiday and now im not i cant and due to other circumstances too. Holidays now consist of visting my mums caravan which i dont mind as i like going
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure