Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    bp5678
    Driving or Train - which is cheaper?
    • 12th Jun 19, 9:54 PM
    Driving or Train - which is cheaper? 12th Jun 19 at 9:54 PM
    Which is cheaper when you factor everything into account?

Car:
    I drive a new'ish 67 plate Seat Ibiza (11,000 miles done). It's pretty fuel efficient at about 55mpg.
    Obviously you'll need to factor in other things like wear and tear etc.

I know companies usually pay 45p per mile but i think that's pretty generous.

Train:
    I have a 16-25 railcard giving me a 33% discount on train travel.
    I have to drive 4.4 miles to the train station (10 min drive) and parking is free.

1) Which (on the whole) is cheaper for me?

2) Which is cheaper out of the two if doing the following journey?
    Car: I can drive 47 miles (1 hour 10 mins) at about 60mpg.
    Train: 8.70 plus a 4 mile drive to the station (12 mins and free parking).
    Last edited by bp5678; 12-06-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Page 2
    • Begsey
    • By Begsey 13th Jun 19, 9:41 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    Begsey
    Drive to station and train, total journey time of 22 mins? How long is the walk at the other side?

Although I was just going to say what foxy-stoat had said anyways about actual time taken
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 13th Jun 19, 10:52 AM
    • 2,593 Posts
    • 1,728 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    I had a similar choice a few years ago although for me the train was more expensive and it took longer as I couldn't travel at ideal times and the train was often delayed in the evening.

However I took the train as I thought at least I could use the time on the train for reading or watching videos whereas in the car I'd have to be focused on driving.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 13th Jun 19, 11:20 AM
    • 7,300 Posts
    • 23,416 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Assuming this is a regular thing:
    If it's a reasonably easy drive without heavy traffic and with easy parking I'd drive rather than breaking the trip.
    If it's heavy traffic and a pain to park, use the train.
    Cost's not enough difference to outweigh convenience and the "cost" of the time taken in travelling in the real world IMHO.
    • Steve KK
    • By Steve KK 13th Jun 19, 11:43 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Steve KK
    Don't forget the potential health benefits of not using the train every day. Since I started working from home and not commuting into London every day I've only had 1 cold in 2.5 years. My usual rate would be 3-4/year!

I'd personally use the car as I would find the drive relaxing and you can travel when you want, rather than around the public transport schedule. However, your personal situation will differ.

Regards,
    Steve
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 13th Jun 19, 11:31 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    Ergates
    What about parking (when you drive in) - is that also free?

Have you looked at season tickets on the train, these can substantially reduce the cost.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Jun 19, 6:27 AM
    • 22,818 Posts
    • 18,842 Thanks
    agrinnall
    There are some significant factors missing from the information you've provided. A number of people have already asked about parking at your destination if you drive. You also haven't said how long the train journey is, and what degree of comfort there would be on it (will you get a seat? can you work if you need to?). And your fuel consumption seems to have leapt from 55 mpg at the start of your post to 60 mpg at the end.
    • Smellyonion
    • By Smellyonion 14th Jun 19, 11:42 AM
    • 248 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    Smellyonion
    The only time I have found a train to be cheaper is if parking costs are excessive (like London).

My car costs around 10p a mile in Fuel +1.5p in Maintenance + 2.3p insurance based on 15k a year. Overall 14p rounded up. Train is nowhere near this.

My work return trip (63 miles) is 8.82
    By train, it is 16 cheapest (with 1/3rd rail card) and 30 min extra journey.
    • Cash-Cows
    • By Cash-Cows 14th Jun 19, 2:15 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    Cash-Cows
    Deprecation shouldn't be included in this calculation as he already has the car and there is no sale date.
    Originally posted by foxy-stoat
    I disagree and some charge should be made against a future car purchase. The only time a charge shouldn't be made is if the OP intends to never replace it at end of life.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 15th Jun 19, 4:29 PM
    • 3,311 Posts
    • 5,920 Thanks
    coffeehound
    And your fuel consumption seems to have leapt from 55 mpg at the start of your post to 60 mpg at the end.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Also would expect actual fuel consumption to be considerably higher than the overall average for 4-mile journeys from cold. .

Last edited by coffeehound; 15-06-2019 at 4:36 PM. Reason: To change smth, obvs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

163Posts Today

1,606Users online

Martin's Twitter