I received someone else’s order, now the seller wants me to post it to the correct customer

Options
I placed an order for a hoodie online, the parcel was delivered but contained a tracksuit instead.
I contacted the seller who asked for a photo of the item received which I provided.
Now they have replied saying the address label got mixed up with someone else’s in error, so I have received her order and she has received mine.
The seller has then given me the other customers full address, and asked me if I can post the tracksuit to them via signed delivery and send a photo of the receipt so they can refund me the delivery charge. They say they have asked the other customer to do the same for me.

What would you do in this situation?
I’m not very happy that they have given out my full address to another customer, and I assume the other customer feels the same.
Is it my responsibility to post it?
What if the other customer doesn’t post my order back to me?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Comments

• Matty36
    Matty36 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 May 2019 at 12:04PM
    Options
    No, and the seller should never have given out personal details of another customer. Return it and tell them you want a full refund. I would be pretty peed off if that was me. This is the sellers error and you have no way of knowing if the other person will send you the hoodie.

Was it ebay? If so, report them
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,952 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Depends on who the seller is.
    Is it a company, or an individual?

If it is just an individual trying to make some extra money they are just trying to sort out the issue without having to pay 2 lots of postage and it wouldn't bother me too much.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I would send it back to the seller.

or

Ask the seller to send you in advance the PP for the wrong item, THEN you will post on ot the correct buyer.

If it is a private seller I would also consider giving a little leaway, as mix ups can happen, my OH 'helps' with labels, until I sacked him from helping me, as the mix ups he caused was not amusing!
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If it was a business who did this I would be fuming. I don't know for certain but am guessing a business could get into trouble for giving out private information.

If it was a private seller I would be a bit more understanding people make mistakes (I appreciate business make mistakes as well and thats fine however I would expect them to sort it out in the correct manner).
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,163 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's just an error which can be easily put right.
    The items aren't of a sensitive nature, so what's the issue?
    You can find out a random person's name and address by looking in the phone book, so what more do you know about them by forwarding on an item?
  • Matty36
    edited 18 May 2019 at 1:23PM
    Options
    prowla wrote: »
    You can find out a random person's name and address by looking in the phone book, so what more do you know about them by forwarding on an item?

Ok please try locate me in the phone book and post my details here. The point is, you can't unless I tell you where to start looking.

The onus is on the seller to correct this, not the buyer just because the seller wants to save a few quid. While the OP may forward the item on, he has no way of knowing if the other buyer will do the same.

If the other buyer does not forward the item onto to the OP, then what claim can the OP make against the seller if it does not turn up? As the seller can confirm the OP recieved the original package when the other buyer didn't bother sending it

That is taking the responsibility away from the seller and putting it onto the buyer, which is wrong
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the seller had asked them both first and obtained their consent to disclose their details before actually giving the details, there would be no issue. But they didn't.

What happens if the other customer sends OP an empty box or box with something else in it?

I also don't think with everything said in the OP that they're not a business - even if it is someone selling from their home to make extra cash. People wearing clothes a handful of times then selling them on as private sellers is a thing (I know someone who does it) but it tends to be designer stuff & the harder wearing items. However, it would be helpful if the OP could clarify, just to be sure.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    prowla wrote: »

So seller has tracking to the buyers address. OP sends off this item to the correct buyer, receives nothing back and tries to claim back their money- seller 'proves' delivery using tracking.

There used to be a very well known scam that operated this way, and whilst this is almost certainly just a mistake, I wouldn't just send something on.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Matty36
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    So seller has tracking to the buyers address. OP sends off this item to the correct buyer, receives nothing back and tries to claim back their money- seller 'proves' delivery using tracking.

There used to be a very well known scam that operated this way, and whilst this is almost certainly just a mistake, I wouldn't just send something on.

Exactly what I was trying to say, but you worded it better lol
  • Rodtheplod
    Rodtheplod Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it was a business who did this I would be fuming. I don't know for certain but am guessing a business could get into trouble for giving out private information.

You're correct. The GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) rules came into effect last year and, if this is a business, they could get fined for just sending a random customer one of their other customer's personally identifiable information (such as name and address) together with order details, etc. Worse, they intentionally did this, so couldn't claim it was just a mistake.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure