We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Debenhams in Admin. Do I have to pay my Credit Card debt?

Options
Hi All
As Debenhams is now in adminsitration, do I have a legal obligation to pay off the balance of £2,100 I owe them on my Debenhams credit card?
All advice most welcome
Thanks

Richard

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Absolutely.

There's no change to your credit agreement and NewDay haven't gone into administration.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Even if they had, it doesn't mean that their debtors debts are wiped out! The administrators would seek to recover all outstanding loans or sell them on.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • dr_adidas01
    dr_adidas01 Posts: 2,136 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is this a windup?

You definitely know that your credit card agreement is with Newday Ltd who haven't gone into administration, so what would make you think that you don't have to pay the debt you owe to Newday back?
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both. :cool:
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is this a windup?

You definitely know that your credit card agreement is with Newday Ltd who haven't gone into administration, so what would make you think that you don't have to pay the debt you owe to Newday back?

Is THIS a wind up?

It should be pretty obvious that the majority of people holding a Debenhams credit card would have never heard of Newday, let alone realise their credit card is with them!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Even if NewDay HAD gone into administration. You can be sure that the administrators will chase the debt. Often much harder than the original company. With much more aggressive debt collection agencies. So you should be glad they haven't.
  • Richard_05
    Options
    Thanks all. I had figured that would be the case but it is always worth checking a long shot!
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Options
    callum9999 wrote: »
    Is THIS a wind up?

It should be pretty obvious that the majority of people holding a Debenhams credit card would have never heard of Newday, let alone realise their credit card is with them!

It's plastered all over the paperwork and the T&Cs for the product, are you saying they have to signed saying they've understood the contract without actually reading it?
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Is THIS a wind up?

If only it was everywhere - on the statements, sms messages, emails...

Somewhere where they could include "NewDay"...

Hmmm.....
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,596 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 April 2019 at 3:55PM
    Options
    Is THIS a wind up?

Do you have a debenhams credit card?

Statements have NewDay on them
    The web site https://portal.newdaycards.com/debenhams has NewDay on it

Direct debit is "SANTANDER RE NEWDAY"

I could accept that not everyone understands the business relationship between newday and debenhams, but not that the majority will have ever heard of them.

Especially if you read the news report on MSE which goes into detail about it.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/04/debenhams-falls-into-administration---what-you-need-to-know/

It says personal finance products WON'T be affected
    Debenhams says there will be no changes to its credit card and insurance services.

And it's worth remembering the actual credit and insurance for these products is provided by external organisations rather than Debenhams itself - for example, NewDay provides the credit for the Debenhams credit card.

As a result, Debenhams says personal finance customers wouldn't be affected regardless of any changes at Debenhams.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    :TNice try Richard 05 - but no cigar.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business