I'm getting free gas...

Options
Hi all,

About 3-5 years ago, we made the switch from having oil heating our house to gas. Everything went smoothly with the gas network. I tried talking to my energy company way before the gas pipe was laid, once it had been laid, and after it had been laid and I could use it.

I rang the energy provider, I emailed, I tried online chatting. So oooo many times. Each time I got told to call back, or wait, or they'd contact me or it'd be done automatically. And I made enough calls where I was on hold for 45 mins on average and didn't even get through to a person.

I was exhausted and deflated from just trying to set up and pay for gas as a duel fuel customer. I couldn't afford to keep trying. Last thing I heard from the company was that they'd contact me. So I've been waiting. Ever since. And I am still not paying for gas. I. Paying about 130-145 per month for electric though so I don't exactly feel bad. I've tried all I could and I've heard a rumour that they can't charge me for the gas I've used when it does get sorted out as I've tried all I could, theyve failed me as my company and I'm paying extraordinary prices for electricity.

My dilemna is what do I do! Keep paying high for electricity but nothing for gas or if I want to switch, what do I do about going from elec only to now a duel fuel?

Thanks much.

Comments

• zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Options
    You can switch your electricity to a cheaper supplier.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,296 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Do they accept your gas meter readings? Can yo see them online?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PaschalFun
    PaschalFun Posts: 241 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

About 3-5 years ago, we made the switch from having oil heating our house to gas. Everything went smoothly with the gas network. I tried talking to my energy company way before the gas pipe was laid, once it had been laid, and after it had been laid and I could use it.

I rang the energy provider, I emailed, I tried online chatting. So oooo many times. Each time I got told to call back, or wait, or they'd contact me or it'd be done automatically. And I made enough calls where I was on hold for 45 mins on average and didn't even get through to a person.

I was exhausted and deflated from just trying to set up and pay for gas as a duel fuel customer. I couldn't afford to keep trying. Last thing I heard from the company was that they'd contact me. So I've been waiting. Ever since. And I am still not paying for gas. I. Paying about 130-145 per month for electric though so I don't exactly feel bad. I've tried all I could and I've heard a rumour that they can't charge me for the gas I've used when it does get sorted out as I've tried all I could, theyve failed me as my company and I'm paying extraordinary prices for electricity.

My dilemna is what do I do! Keep paying high for electricity but nothing for gas or if I want to switch, what do I do about going from elec only to now a duel fuel?

Thanks much.

Why would you want to switch? You won't get better than free ;)
  • HopefulDave
    Options
    zerog wrote: »
    You can switch your electricity to a cheaper supplier.

Yes I know I could but at the moment it's my current company's mistake which I hope and believe I can't get penalised for. If I change and don't declare the gas I could commit fraud.
  • HopefulDave
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Do they accept your gas meter readings? Can yo see them online?

No only electricity ones. I can't even change to a dual fuel account.
  • HopefulDave
    Options
    PaschalFun wrote: »
    Why would you want to switch? You won't get better than free ;)

Ha true! But I can't work out if I'd pay less for paying for both. I pay about 130 to 140 a month for elec which is massively high but you know what money grabbing market twisting companies they are.
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Just move your electricity
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 April 2019 at 9:23PM
    Options
    . First check with Xoserve to check if there is a MPRN registered for your address, if not, then you know exactly what to say to a different supplier than the one you are trying to contact..You don t have to contact the same supplier as the one who supplies you with gas because you do not have any supplier as of yet... It sounds like you have been dealing with some call centre employee for a small supplier who does not know the procedure. There are some suppliers around who won t answer the phone all day, so try one with better call centre staff..Someone like BG will do to get you all legal and above aboard because at the minute, technically you are "passing unregistered gas " which is illegal.
    It could be that an IGT, independent gas transporter has installed your supply and not registered your address, so explain that to a supplier such as BG , who know the procedure and who will answer the phone quickly..
    All you need to is explain that you are not registered with Xoserve and hopefully they will start you off with a completely new account from that date and not back bill to the date of installation.
  • Thomas_Edison
    Options
    Sounds like you have a shipper less gas supply and you need an MPRN raising. BG are actually probably best at this, I believe they have a new connections team.

On the other hand you don't have to do anything about your gas & could just switch your electricity your new supplier wouldn't ask any questions.

Most suppliers wouldn't even want to know about your gas, and would actually refuse to set it up for you and point you towards someone else.

It's a messy industry, and this is one of the messier parts of a messy industry so many see it as not worth the hassle.
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The only downsides you should consider are 1. if you want to sell your property you will need bills, 2. if you have a gas leak or pressure problem with the supply.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure