Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Trikemailer
    • By Trikemailer 16th Apr 19, 6:27 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Trikemailer
    0 WOW
    Late pickup for car hire?
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:27 PM
    0 WOW
    Late pickup for car hire? 16th Apr 19 at 6:27 PM
    I recently arranged a hire car for a trip to Tenerife. Unfortunately I booked the pickup for 7am instead of 7pm so we turned up 12 hours late to be told that as we were late, the car is no longer available and the hire was cancelled with no refund. Is this normal?
    I'm thinking that as we've paid for a car for the week, it should be available to pick up at any time in the hire period and it's unacceptable for them to hire the car I've paid for to someone else. Where do I stand in this?

Thanks
    Mike.
Page 1
    • photome
    • By photome 17th Apr 19, 6:06 AM
    • 13,940 Posts
    • 9,468 Thanks
    photome
    • 17th Apr 19, 6:06 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 6:06 AM
    I recently arranged a hire car for a trip to Tenerife. Unfortunately I booked the pickup for 7am instead of 7pm so we turned up 12 hours late to be told that as we were late, the car is no longer available and the hire was cancelled with no refund. Is this normal?
    I'm thinking that as we've paid for a car for the week, it should be available to pick up at any time in the hire period and it's unacceptable for them to hire the car I've paid for to someone else. Where do I stand in this?

Thanks
    Mike.
    Originally posted by Trikemailer

have you read the t and c

from Alamo usa

Airport Rental Locations in the US and Canada:
    Vehicles will be held for 24 hours from the scheduled time of pick-up, for any delayed flights.

IF you arrive after that a car isnt gteed and any rental would be at the rack rate, which is likely to be much more than a prebooked rate
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 17th Apr 19, 9:16 AM
    • 3,621 Posts
    • 2,630 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 17th Apr 19, 9:16 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 9:16 AM
    I wouldn't expect them to hold a car for 12 hours unless you had contacted them to say you'd be late.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,580Posts Today

7,401Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin