Falsely Accused of Theft

Options

Comments

• bunnie1234
    bunnie1234 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Always deformation, however OP would need VERY deep pockets and I would say has no chance of winning.

You are right, we would have no chance of winning a court case because they would deny what they said and we have no proof of what they said. Plus as you say, we would need very deep pockets. But there are other ways which don't involve costs as shops and organisations are accountable under consumer law.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    bunnie1234 wrote: »
    The consumer organisation would not have advised me to give them 14 days after which I would escalate the matter, if there was nowhere to escalate it to. There are consumer ombudsman and dispute resolution services available to preside over such matters and thank goodness there are. There are laws on consumer rights to protect consumers.
    For goodness' sake, you ended up in a dispute over reduced pies. Where do you expect this to end up, the European Court of Human Rights?

What happened was not correct and I think the company owes you an apology. You've complained and it seems you are awaiting their next response. If they apologise, you can go back to buying pies from them. If they don't, you buy your pies elsewhere and the world carries on turning. That's it.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    The consumer organisation would not have advised me to give them 14 days after which I would escalate the matter, if there was nowhere to escalate it to. There are consumer ombudsman and dispute resolution services available to preside over such matters and thank goodness there are. There are laws on consumer rights to protect consumers.
    Which consumer organisation was that? I ask because you can't make a company reply to a complaint.

It was a very well known organisation. I am aware that you cannot make anyone reply to a letter. The idea is you ask that someone replies within 14 days (or whatever time you want to state) and you say that if you don't receive a response (or a satisfactory response) within that time that you will take matters further. I intend to do that, because what happened was outrageous by any standards imo.
    I'm curious why you seem to be so reluctant to answer powerful_Rogue's question.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I'm curious why you seem to be so reluctant to answer powerful_Rogue's question.
    I bet it's Morrisons. They've got form for pie-based non-event drama:

https://metro.co.uk/2018/04/16/couples-anger-told-cant-buy-meat-pies-9am-morrisons-7470227/
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I bet it's Morrisons. They've got form for pie-based non-event drama:

https://metro.co.uk/2018/04/16/couples-anger-told-cant-buy-meat-pies-9am-morrisons-7470227/
    What a bizarre story.
    It doesn't reflect well on Morrisons.
    Nor on Mr Gilkes who apparently has fish and chips 3 days a week. :eek:

I think powerful_Rogue was asking which consumer organisation the OP complained to rather than which shop has banned him.
  • Spidernick
    Spidernick Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I bet it's Morrisons.

Surely Chavsda? ;)

Would most of us even dream of doing what the OP did? They picked up the item at a price they were willing to pay, so then going to a staff member to get it marked down just seems rather a 'chavvy' thing to do to my mind.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
  • bunnie1234
    Options

I wasn't reluctant, I just couldn't recall the name but have now checked and its The Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline. They specifically deal with all consumer related matters and appear very knowledgeable.
  • bunnie1234
    Options
    What a bizarre story.
    It doesn't reflect well on Morrisons.
    Nor on Mr Gilkes who apparently has fish and chips 3 days a week. :eek:

I think powerful_Rogue was asking which consumer organisation the OP complained to rather than which shop has banned him.

That is a funny story. Why on earth go to the newspapers over a 15 minute delay in pies going on sale! Morrisons was not the shop I went to.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is a consumer ombudsman and other bodies that enforce consumer rights and can take to task an organisation if it abuses those laws. As someone else mentioned, a store can ban anyone as long as they come up with a "reason". But claiming we were guilty of theft having paid for our items is wrong on every level.

There may well be a consumer ombudsman but after looking at their website I very much doubt your type of complaint is one they would be interested in.
  • bunnie1234
    Options
    Spidernick wrote: »
    Surely Chavsda? ;)

Would most of us even dream of doing what the OP did? They picked up the item at a price they were willing to pay, so then going to a staff member to get it marked down just seems rather a 'chavvy' thing to do to my mind.

If you see staff reducing things further, why not get a reduction, especially when you see others doing so. Even consumer law states that a customer is entitled to get best price. If someone would rather not, then the choice is theirs. Even a Chav should not be treated as I was. This is the first comment that's made me laugh - the thought of me being a Chav! There really shouldn't be any shame in getting a bargain once in a while but it seems there is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure