Blue Air

Options
I just called to confirm flights tomorrow, 27th Feb, to Rome with BlueAir to find my return flight on 4th March has been cancelled. I can't find any other flight back into Liverpool on Monday but am still searching. The one price quoted so far is to Rome to Manchester, and more than the return flight BlueAir had booked me for.

What are my rights here? Are they liable to pick up the full fare of my re-routed return and if not why not? I have booked car parks plus car hire as well so I lose a lot if I cancel! :-(

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    looks like it was cancelled a couple of weeks ago
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/british-holidaymakers-left-furious-after-airline-cancels-flights-due-to-brexit-impasse-904456.html
    what have blueair offered as options?
  • martindias
    Options
    So far none - they said I was informed but I've certainly had no email. So far the phone operator just told me to make a complaint - which I have done. But I have to book a flight quickly for a return and being offered one way fares vastly in excess of my return fare with Blue. Can't yet find a flight into Liverpool for anything less that 7 hours!
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Options
    You have a right to rerouting even if it's on another airline.
  • martindias
    Options
    Great....I have managed to book another fight twice as much and twice as long plus returning to a different airport. But at least I can take off tomorrow morning and return on Monday - Thanks. Hope my application for compensation is successful. I'll keep you posted.
  • colcheslad
    Options
    martindias wrote: »
    Great....I have managed to book another fight twice as much and twice as long plus returning to a different airport. But at least I can take off tomorrow morning and return on Monday - Thanks. Hope my application for compensation is successful. I'll keep you posted.

I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that you need to insist that the airline themselves reroute you under EU261, rather than simply purchasing a new ticket yourself.

I wish you luck, however!
  • martindias
    martindias Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Grace of Brussels Airlines and a 4 hour stopover in a Brussels Airport lounge i got home on the day I'd originally booked but to Manchester instead of Liverpool. Once in Mancs a convoluted train journey from Manchester to Liverpool Airport. Yes I am lucky to have got home at all but Blue Air less than helpful in their twitter answer:

"Blue Air Firstly, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused by the cancellation of the flight 0B5516 dated 04.03.2019. Our objective is to ensure our passengers efficient and comfortable flights every time but unfortunately there are situations when we have to make such decisions and, in order to reduce the discomfort we may have caused, we ensure that we transmit this information well in advance of the scheduled trip. Please see below the options we can offer you in this case:
    a) free of charge change to another Blue Air flight - please check our timetable here: https://www.blueairweb.com/en/gb/ ;
    b) a voucher for the amount paid for the ticket - passengers or first degree relatives can use it until 23rd of March 2019 as a discount from the price of the new tickets/services purchased from our company;
    c) the refund of the amount paid for the ticket on the same account used for the initial payment."

So the extra £88 spent on my return flight and the £11 on my train fare plus the bloody inconvenience of a whole day spent reaching home! Nothing - so far.....

So going to apply for compensation with Martin's Helpful letter formats https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays/

More later!:T
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,552 Forumite
    Options
    your letter appears different to their t&cs which state
    9.2 CANCELLATION, REROUTING, DELAYS, ETC.
    9.2.1 We shall take all the measures necessary to avoid delay in your transportation. To avoid the cancellation of a flight, under exceptional circumstances, we may decide that such flight be made on our behalf by another company.
    9.2.2 Except for the cases otherwise established in the Convention, if a flight is cancelled or does not take place as per the schedule, we shall act as follows, subject to your consent:
    9.2.2.1 We shall transport you to your destination with the first flight we make, according to the availability of the seat, without having the obligation to pay any additional charges and, if necessary, we shall extend the validity of the Electronic Ticket.
    9.2.2.2 We will offer you the possibility to take the flights of another airline company in case the flight is canceled by us, except for force majeure cases.
    9.2.3 In case you do not accept any of the options included in Articles
    9.2.2.1 and 9.2.2.2 we shall no longer have any responsibility and we will pay you back the entire amount you paid to us.
    https://www.blueairweb.com/en/gb/Travel-Conditions/#9-SCHEDULES-DELAYS-CANCELLATION-OF-FLIGHTS

Unfortunately for you BlueAir have no offices or assets in the UK (for court claim) so they know there are limited options available to you should they decide to decline.
  • Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558 Forumite
    Options
    I was flying with blue air out of Liverpool with my dog into Malaga on 5 March. They cancelled it two months ago and moved me to the 2/03. I moved all my travel plans and accommodation etc . Then they cancelled my 2/03 flight. I git refunded for it. But when I expressed my anger at the financial loss due to two flights being changed I was told to complain... that complaint has not been answered for three weeks.. best of luck
  • martindias
    Options
    Their reply to my initial claim for compensation:
    Dear customer,

Your request was managed on 08.03.2019 at 11:29 o’clock.

Thank you for contacting us. Regarding your request, we wish to inform you that we can offer the refund of the amount paid for the return flight with the booking code VBGW5N (50.92 GBP) on the same credit card used for the initial payment. Please confirm, via a new contact form.,

Thank you for choosing Blue Air services and we hope to see you again soon on board of our aircraft!”

Sincerely,

Blue Air Team
  • martindias
    Options
    So I just replied to their derisory offer with the following (from Which - that was the best template I could find)

I am writing to you in connection with the above flight.

The flight was supposed to depart from Leonardo da Vinci–Fiumicino Airport at 12:00 and arrive at Liverpool John Lennon Airport at 13:45, but with less than 7 days notice it was cancelled and I was not rerouted. I did call your help desk when I was trying to check in before leaving Liverpool and was only told then of the flight cancelation and no rerouting being available.

I then had to go to the additional expense and inconvenience of booking a return flight Rome to Manchester on Brussels Airline and then a train ticket to Liverpool Parkway to get me back on the same day to my airport car park, 6 hours later than planned. I attach copies of my original ticket, my Brussels Airlines replacement return ticket and my additional train ticket. My additional costs incurred were £97.

In accordance with your obligations under the EU Denied Boarding Regulation 261/2004 and subsequent rulings by European Court of Justice, I am entitled to the sum of €400 in compensation per passenger, based on a flight distance of 1706 km. I look forward to receiving the sterling equivalent within the next 21 days from the date of this letter.

I include a copy of my tickets.

Yours faithfully,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family