Premium economy worth it for 10+ hour night flight?

I do an annual trip to visit family once a year, I've always flown economy class, it's always a night flight (there are no day ones), I'm never able to sleep a wink, it's always left me wrecked, and is something I dread.

Has anyone ever tried economy premium, and is it worth it for the 50-100% increased ticket cost? Or would I likely still not sleep, and feel even worse for having wasted hundreds?

(btw, I'm 6ft, and not overweight).

Another thought I had is taking a non-direct flight (connection in rome, Frankfurt, etc), even seen some deals with business class flights for only double the price of a direct economy flight.

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It's a personal thing, no one can tell if it's worth it for you. I wouldn't do 10 hours in anything less than business class but I still won't sleep.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Personally I've done both and for me it's worth it and I'm not tall by any stretch.

As Essex says though YMMV.
  • Once I decide its sleep time on a long flight - I put on my headphones and play instrumental music - which I find very soothing and in no time I'm fast asleep.
    If I played the songs with vocals I would probably be singing along in my head and would be awake!
  • Some people have no problem sleeping in cattle class. I am not one of those, I have to be horizontal to sleep, so for long haul I tend to blow a bit more of my kids inheritance on business class.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Whether it's worth it will largely depend on the airline and aircraft, on some it's basically economy with a slightly bigger seat, on others it's a decent upgrade.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It would help to name the airline and destination. A bit like Jonesey I can sleep on a clothes-line and have no problem in cattle class. Given we visit #2 son in Australia it means we can go twice as often on the same budget.
    Dreading it won't help - try changing your mindset, book a window seat, take an inflatable pillow, bit of hot food, glass or two of wine, curl up under a blanket then see if you can get at least a couple of hours. Once you've achieved that, take it from there. :)
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Shimrod
    Shimrod Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sportacus wrote: »

Has anyone ever tried economy premium, and is it worth it for the 50-100% increased ticket cost? Or would I likely still not sleep, and feel even worse for having wasted hundreds?

We do premium economy on long haul flights (business class is out of our reach!). It is much more comfortable than economy class (at least on Cathay Pacific), but I still do little more than doze on an overnight flight. For us it is still worth it, as the alternative now would be not taking the holiday.
  • Sounds like the OP would benefit from PE. Only they can make that call weighing up comfort against cost. It is great to be able to lie flat in business for 10 hours but I would consider the extra cost could go a long way to paying for much of my holiday expenses.

If business class seats are available ex EU at double economy I would certainly consider that over PE at a similar cost. Ex EU has its own logistic issues though.
  • Have you considered sleeping tablets in Economy?! Joking aside, I've had better sleeps doing that than in PE.Flat beds are the only way to get a decent sleep in my opinion.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I don't mind economy/cattle class at all.

Just get the seat I want (aisle) and sleepy anti histamine like piriton and I am ok. zzzz

But like others I am done with long haul now. Did that and have the shirt.

Life is too short to suffer twelve hours on a flight unless you absolutely need to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure