The People's Operator / TPO goes into administration

Options
Morning all,

I received an email and letter yesterday saying that TPO had gone into administration, and that service would cease on 26th Feb.

Just bringing it to the board's attention in case it affects anyone else.

From their website:

"TPO Mobile has entered Administration and will cease trading from 26th February 2019. After this date the mobile service will cease and you will no longer be able to make calls or texts or use the internet."

They sent me a replacement sim-only card for a service called Smarty, with one month free which is nice of them, but I'm going to now start trawling through the SIM only deals that are out there.

Comments

• Katgrit
    Katgrit Posts: 555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up..... I'm amazed I spotted this as I only noticed the title scrolling down as I never specifically come into this board on the forum.

Can I just check.....is the new sim for you to transfer your number to? Or will you just lose your number? My Mum is will them and she won't have a clue what to do so I'll have to be on the ball.
  • potatan
    potatan Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    The new SIM is just that; as if you had gone into a corner shop and bought a pay monthly SIM.

The letter I received from TPO also had the required PAC code in it though, which is good news - so if you can find a new operator in the next 30-ish days you will be able to transfer the existing mobile number to them.
  • potatan
    Options
    The free SIM they sent is from this company - smarty.co.uk

From their website they look like a fairly similar (to TPO) no-frills non-business mobile reseller. I'm still going to read the SIM-only reviews on here though.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 February 2019 at 9:48AM
    Options
    Smarty is a decent deal, for regular users, there are few better deals out there IMO.

One major caveat, if you don't renew your bundle you lose all service until you renew.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    potatan wrote: »
    The free SIM they sent is from this company - smarty.co.uk

From their website they look like a fairly similar (to TPO) no-frills non-business mobile reseller. I'm still going to read the SIM-only reviews on here though.

Smarty runs on Three (the same as TPO) so the move should be seamless, don't forget to check which carrier the various MVNO's use if your phone is SIM locked.
  • potatan
    Options
    I've gone with BT Mobile for the next 12 months - they are currently offering £45 cashback (a pre-loaded card I assume) which brings their £10 pm deal down to £6.25 equivalent, for unlimited texts/minutes and 3GB data. I'm hoping roaming will be seamless with BT - last year I went abroad (Europe) and it took a day and a half before my TPO service was available, despite all my best efforts.
  • pmduk
    Options
    TPO's customer service was always poor, it was always a matter of time before they went under.
  • lytton
    lytton Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Just signed up to iD mobile this morning, it’s the only other Best Buy I can find for £5 a month. Most of my activity is WiFi anyway so I think I’ll be fine. It’s just a faff waiting for a new sim and then giving them that code to transfer my old number etc. I only contacted their customer service once and they seemed fine, but I was getting ongoing dead calls (receiver couldn’t hear me) which TPO flat out denied responsibility for, despite it only happening after I’d left O2.
  • Stevepd
    Stevepd Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I got my email & letter today. Not sure who to go with as I’m a low use age user and it suited me down to the ground.

Steve.
  • pmduk
    Options
    Three or o2 classic PAYG packages might suit you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income