Direct Payments Budgets

Options
Does anyone know the figure the social work office give you as your annual budget for direct payments includes or excludes your personal contribution?

It states on the letter the individual budget for the year, however it states the personal contribution as well, but it does not mention the total?

Also, if you are unable to find the correct person to employ to carry out certain sensitive tasks such as bathing and washing can this be a sufficient enough reason itself (without evidence) to employ a family member, which is allowed under exceptional rules if there is no alternative?

Thanks.

Comments

• Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    whambam wrote: »
    Does anyone know the figure the social work office give you as your annual budget for direct payments includes or excludes your personal contribution?

It states on the letter the individual budget for the year, however it states the personal contribution as well, but it does not mention the total?

Also, if you are unable to find the correct person to employ to carry out certain sensitive tasks such as bathing and washing can this be a sufficient enough reason itself (without evidence) to employ a family member, which is allowed under exceptional rules if there is no alternative?

Thanks.

I suspect each Local Authority set it out differently. You should ask them to explain.

In my experience, that wouldn't be enough to allow a family member. It would be a very rare situation where you couldn't find anyone to carry out care tasks as you describe. Also remember if you are employing someone you become an employer and have all of the responsibilities that go with that - you need to account for those costs as well.

IQ
  • whambam
    whambam Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    I found an agency with a very low fee who administers it all for you payslips, timesheets, tax NI everything.

Thats the scare tactics the social workers use as they are not for people getting Direct Payments. Also, I know 3 families who get direct payments the council never ask for invoices, receipts only bank statements.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I found an agency with a very low fee who administers it all for you payslips, timesheets, tax NI everything.

Thats the scare tactics the social workers use as they are not for people getting Direct Payments. Also, I know 3 families who get direct payments the council never ask for invoices, receipts only bank statements.
    The agency will be payroll. I use direct payments and have a separate bank account from the local council which the payments are paid into each week.

Local councils ask for more than just bank statements. They ask for payslips and time sheets. Also i receive an extra amount for respite for my daughter and she can use this money for holidays, days out for her and her support worker and i must keep receipts for everything.
  • whambam
    Options
    Did they give you the respite automatically or did you have to have strong reasons for it?
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Did they give you the respite automatically or did you have to have strong reasons for it?
    I had a carers assessment and they automatically gave her extra in her personal budget. I'm a single mum with health conditions myself so the extra breaks are extremely welcome.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

You won't get it automatically. Budgets are tight, there must be an assessed need that can't be met by a cheaper option.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    _shel wrote: »
    You won't get it automatically. Budgets are tight, there must be an assessed need that can't be met by a cheaper option.
    Thanks, that's what i meant. When i said i automatically received it, what i meant was i didn't ask for it.
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options

It's not a scare tactic to put people off - obviously there are ways to deal with it other than doing it yourself ,as you say payroll companies are one option.

However, it is a serious issue. I have seen a fair few cases of people getting into trouble with HMRC because they haven't complied with their responsibilities. Or they have paid their carer as 'self-employed' when they are clearly not. Also, there are the employment law aspects - so making sure you have the right liability insurance, understanding entitlements to maternity/paternity leave etc..., dealing with grievance etc...

IQ
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Icequeen99 wrote: »
    It's not a scare tactic to put people off - obviously there are ways to deal with it other than doing it yourself ,as you say payroll companies are one option.

However, it is a serious issue. I have seen a fair few cases of people getting into trouble with HMRC because they haven't complied with their responsibilities. Or they have paid their carer as 'self-employed' when they are clearly not. Also, there are the employment law aspects - so making sure you have the right liability insurance, understanding entitlements to maternity/paternity leave etc..., dealing with grievance etc...

IQ
    For all these reasons and more, it's always better to use payroll. I wouldn't have known where to start without the help and assistance off them. They charge a very small fee each month but it's peace of mind that you're doing everything the correct way.
  • whambam
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Thanks, that's what i meant. When i said i automatically received it, what i meant was i didn't ask for it.

Did you have to prove to the council you had health conditions to gain the additional money for respite services? such as a letter or doctors letter/verbal say?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure