Bitcoin account compromised. Bank refuse to refund.

Options

Comments

• Uxb1
    Uxb1 Posts: 732 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Some ISP's even where the customer has not asked for a static IP (ie never ever changing) to be provided tend to have 'sticky IP' addresses - one that don't change very often regardless of whether you turn off the router or do a re-connection.

I recall hearing that virgin IP addresses are like this
    I can certainly tell you that on my Gigaclear FTTP line the IP address remains the same if I switch off go away for a week and then return and switch back on. It only changes very rarely when they are having some sort of ISP side network reorganization/balancing or whatever.

BT's hotspots piggy backed off domestic routers when at idle run in a 'electronic tunnel' and do NOT share the same IP address as is being used by the domestic user of that router.
  • Michael23
    Options
    I’ve checked and my ip is dynamic. I’ve spoken to the bank again and they’ve said unless I can prove it wasn’t me they won’t be doing anything. They said I may be able to speak to the company and have them confirm my account was comprised and they will look into it.
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Uxb1 wrote: »
    I recall hearing that virgin IP addresses are like this
    I can certainly tell you that on my Gigaclear FTTP line the IP address remains the same if I switch off go away for a week and then return and switch back on. It only changes very rarely when they are having some sort of ISP side network reorganization/balancing or whatever.

BT's hotspots piggy backed off domestic routers when at idle run in a 'electronic tunnel' and do NOT share the same IP address as is being used by the domestic user of that router.

In this case I can see two explanations:

1. the usual IP address is shared by any computers, e.g. an apartment block in London or a university campus

2. the computer used has a trojan virus
  • Michael23
    Options
    Is the burden of proof on me?
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Michael23 wrote: »

Probably :(

Out of interest what's the make-up of your home ? Parents/Kids ? HMO ? Previous housemate who knows details ??

It's a relatively low amount/complex transaction to be random
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I’ve checked and my ip is dynamic.

I'm sorry you wasted your time doing that. But it means nothing relevant. A dynamic IP is normally only reset when a router is rebooted. The chances of your router rebooting, assigning you a new IP, and you old IP address being reassigned to someone who just happened to be the person who had all your account details and was about to hack your account is zero.

A consistent IP has been used to access your account. The only rational explanation is the transfer was made from inside the network you normally log in on. Also, just to reiterate the point you seem to skip over a lot, the person also knew all of your account details, to both your bank account and your bitcoin account.
    2. the computer used has a trojan virus

There are no known security vulnerabilities in Windows, at least that I know of, that would allow you to take over a machine and access the internet through it. Even if there was, why would someone do that? If there was, say, a virus that was recording inputs and feeding them back to someone, why wouldn't they just get the details off the computer and access the account through their own computer, which would be a considerable amount easier.

It makes no sense, even if it was technically feasible which I'm not sure it is, and certainly not by your run of the mill 'I'm going to steal £650' kind of criminals.

The burden of proof is on the bank. But they already have proof that either it was you, or someone in your household.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,481 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    jonnygee2 wrote: »
    The burden of proof is on the bank. But they already have proof that either it was you, or someone in your household.
    This brings to mind a point about proof in another recent thread where a poster was embroiled in a dispute with their bank - while technically a bank has to prove that the customer authorised the transaction, they can cite positive data such as IP addresses and the like, but from the customer's perspective, it's practically impossible to prove that it wasn't authorised, i.e. what meaningful evidence can be supplied to demonstrate this?

And of course, proof in this sort of scenario is 'balance of probabilities' rather than 'beyond reasonable doubt'....
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,482 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 January 2019 at 6:07PM
    Options
    I’ve checked and my ip is dynamic. I’ve spoken to the bank again and they’ve said unless I can prove it wasn’t me they won’t be doing anything. They said I may be able to speak to the company and have them confirm my account was comprised and they will look into it.
    So you have spoken to the bank twice and have also been in dialogue with Coinbase.

Have you reported the crime to the police through Action Fraud and obtained a crime reference number as suggested?

I would have thought the destination of the Bitcoin would be one piece of evidence that could lend your version of events some credibility. If this was some sort of cyber attack it is likely the transaction isn't an isolated incident.
  • Michael23
    Options
    Yes i have done this.
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    And of course, proof in this sort of scenario is 'balance of probabilities' rather than 'beyond reasonable doubt'....

Actually it's much closer to 'beyond reasonable doubt'. The guidelines say banks need to prove either gross negligence or authorisation. There's no absolute guidance on what the threshold is, but experience says its very high, much more than balance of probabilities.

Generally, customers don't need to prove anything. They get a refund unless the bank has proof it was their fault.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure