We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Investing in Greenland

Options
HL's maps showing the geographical analysis of companies in OEICs show Greenland in the same colour as the USA and Canada. So I did some googling and, since Greenland lies on the North American tectonic plate, it is considered to geographically belong to North America.

But aren't we slightly more interested in whether countries fit together as investment regions? I have no idea whether Greenland is considered an emerging, developed or whatever nation, but if Fundsmith suddenly sells out of California and buys into Nuuk (the capital of Greenland, as I just learned), I'd like HL's maps to reflect that.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you checked the population of Greenland? There are small towns with larger populations! Why not invest in Ipswich?
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This sounds like a hangover from Erik the Red's propaganda about Greenland.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • coyrls
    coyrls Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is no Greenland Stock Exchange.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    coyrls wrote: »
    There is no Greenland Stock Exchange.
    Um, then how about unlisted firms?
  • greendoor665
    Options
    I really wouldn't worry about it. With a population of 55,000 and a GDP just 0.009% of the US, I don't think the categorization of Greenland is going to materially affect your investment decisions.
    1882 Posts: 496 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It belongs to Denmark but I understand isn't in EU and it's name belies it's icier than Iceland!
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Seriously though (for a moment) according to this there are 23 independent states in North America including Mexico, as well as economic powerhouses like Haiti and St Lucia. They are not shown by HL as North America. Yet Greenland – which it turns out is a dependent territory of Denmark – is shown as North America. Surely Greenland should be shown as part of Europe, if anything.
  • londoninvestor
    Options
    Yet Greenland – which it turns out is a dependent territory of Denmark – is shown as North America. Surely Greenland should be shown as part of Europe, if anything.

Not sure. Should pre-1997 Hong Kong stocks have been treated as part of the UK market?
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

But aren't we slightly more interested in whether countries fit together as investment regions? I have no idea whether Greenland is considered an emerging, developed or whatever nation, but if Fundsmith suddenly sells out of California and buys into Nuuk (the capital of Greenland, as I just learned), I'd like HL's maps to reflect that.

Are you saying that if Fundsmith bought into the capital of Greenland you'd sell your entire holding?

Because that seems like the Nuuk-clear option to me.
  • londoninvestor
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    Because that seems like the Nuuk-clear option to me.

With puns like that, it sounds like the capital of Groan-land ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport