Santander - Data Protection

Options
Hi,

Santander opened a business bank account for a Ltd Co that was technically insolvent against my home address (and refused to stop using my home address for their customer for 10 months).

Can I ask to receive a copy of the application form and correspondence, as my home address is my identifiable personal data? I appreciate they have to protect their customer's data, so could they block this information off?

Thanks.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 January 2019 at 11:01AM
    Options
    Blue1966 wrote: »
    Hi,

Santander opened a business bank account for a Ltd Co that was technically insolvent against my home address (and refused to stop using my home address for their customer for 10 months).

Can I ask to receive a copy of the application form and correspondence, as my home address is my identifiable personal data? I appreciate they have to protect their customer's data, so could they block this information off?

Thanks.

You say they refused to stop using your address, was that a response from you putting a complaint in ?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Can I ask to receive a copy of the application form and correspondence, as my home address is my identifiable personal data?
    If you're saying that someone else at your home address set up this arrangement then I don't believe that you have any right to see any of the associated data or paperwork as it's personal to the other person not to you, and the address is effectively incidental.

I'm thinking here of the rights of the individual (and the obligations of the bank) when it comes to matters like keeping spouse's accounts separate and confidential, so it seems to me to be the same principle....

What are you hoping to achieve? Is it potentially a police matter?
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    for a Ltd Co that was technically insolvent against my home address
    How is the solvency of the company relevant to your complaint?

Or wouldn't you have minded your home address being erroneously associated with this company if the company was solvent?
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    An address isn't personal data, unless it is associated with a name.

So if they have "Your Name, 123 High St" held in their system, you have a case for disclosure...if the have "XXX Ltd, 123 High St", and that company is not connected to you, then you don't.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Santander would use companies house as validation of the address. That data is in the public domain and not personal.

You have no right to see any documentation completed by the directors or authorised signatories of that limited company.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Blue1966
    Options
    Yes, I complained by telephone and in writing on a number of occasions. Conversations "don't worry if she goes bust, this won't affect your credit rating" and when I asked to be transferred to their Fraud or Legal Department, he said "if I could, I would but I can't".

Their reply to my complaints is 'when we are opening an account we would complete the necessary security checks for the address but afterwards it is up to our customers to ensure their details are up to date.'
  • Blue1966
    Options
    I think there is a rule where a bank cannot open a new bank account for a company that is trading insolvently. Also at the time of opening the account, the Ltd Co credit report states 'maximum risk, high credit risk, £0 limit, £0 profit, Add to Monitoring List.

And yes, I do mind whether solvent or insolvent that my home address being used. I thought rigorous ID, security and verification checks had to be carried out.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Has "she" got any connection with your address ?
  • Blue1966
    Options
    Thanks Eskbanker.

This situation has been on-going sometime with other events and issues.

The police were involved when I discovered my post was being intercepted for 10 months. The police handed over to Royal Mail and following investigation they confirmed neighbour interceped my post and Santander's customer abused mail redirection. I reported this to Santander and even provided the true address for the Ltd Co and still they refused to stop using my address.
  • Blue1966
    Options
    Hi Molerat

Ltd Co lived in the property before me. Santander opened the account 3 months after I moved in. My utilities/accounts were all set-up, Council Tax, Electoral Roll and all that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure