IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Highview Parking - overstaying...for a reason

SCUD
SCUD Posts: 110 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 13 January 2019 at 10:38PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi all...

I have received a Charge Notice by post from Highview Parking. It is regarding my car overstaying at a retail park.

I have checked with the driver and they said they were at one of the shops doing business and the business talks and discussions took long which caused the driver to exceed the maximum stay.

The driver said that nobody at that shop gave them a heads up about not overstaying. Of course because they wanted to secure a deal!

So what do you advise here?

Shall I appeal as the keeper using the template in the newbie thread?

Or should I ask the driver to contact the shop so they speak to Highway Parking to cancel the charge notice?

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I cannot understand why the driver has not already contacted the store he was 'doing business' with to get them to cancel the charge.

That must be the first thing to do - as stated in the first post of the NEWBIES thread.

Highway Parking? Is that right?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,320 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Shall I appeal as the keeper using the template in the newbie thread?
    Yep, do that.
    Or should I ask the driver to contact the shop so they speak to Highway Parking to cancel the charge notice?
    In parallel with the above, but be careful about how the driver is identified. Just need some careful thinking before putting the mouth into gear. The keeper has Protection under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012; the driver does not!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Presumably the person in the shop was "an occupant" of the car. ;)
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Please change the PPC's name in the thread title too.

Go into edit on your opening post, choose Go Advanced, then correct the contents of the Title box.
  • SCUD
    SCUD Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    KeithP wrote: »
    I cannot understand why the driver has not already contacted the store he was 'doing business' with to get them to cancel the charge.

That must be the first thing to do - as stated in the first post of the NEWBIES thread.

Highway Parking? Is that right?

Sorry, It is Highview Parking. Thanks for bringing this to my attension.

I will ask the driver to do as advised, the letter just arrived and I was exploring my options.

Umkomaas wrote: »
    Yep, do that.

In parallel with the above, but be careful about how the driver is identified. Just need some careful thinking before putting the mouth into gear. The keeper has Protection under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012; the driver does not!

So is it better for the driver to speak to the shop regarding the charge? or I call them explaining the situation as the keeper. And also who guarntees they will speak to the Highview Parking before the appeal window closes?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Do both/ send the template and contact the shop. A belt and braces approach never hurts and should pretty much guarantee a result.
  • SCUD wrote: »
    Sorry, It is Highview Parking. Thanks for bringing this to my attension.

I will ask the driver to do as advised, the letter just arrived and I was exploring my options.

So is it better for the driver to speak to the shop regarding the charge? or I call them explaining the situation as the keeper. And also who guarntees they will speak to the Highview Parking before the appeal window closes?

in person armed with a photocopy of the letter from the PPC , which he will write his phone number/email on and in a rather loud voice to the MANAGEMENT state "sort it" or I am returning goods NOW
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    but no mentioning who was driving the vehicle to said shop

its an aggrieved occupant of the vehicle who is complaining on behalf of the keeper because the shops tardiness has caused this alleged breach of the parking rules and this occupant should have been warned by the shop about it

so the "shop manager" should contact Highview on behlaf of the keeper and get it cancelled asap

a landowner or retailer or M.A. cancellation is ALWAYS the BEST option, is it not ?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Highview are so dead easy to beat, as long as no-one implies who was driving, the appeal on its own would do the job, but I would certainly complain as well.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Tell the driver to complain to their MP.

It is the will of Parliament that these scammers be put out of business.

Hopefully that will take place in the near future. The Bill has passed through the HOC without hitch, and goes to the Lords soon. In the meantime involve your MP, the poor dears are buckling under the weight of complaints about these scammers.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of alleged contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors. Is has been suggested by an MP that some of these companies may have connections to organised crime.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, (especially Smart}, and others have already been named and shamed in the House of Commons as have Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each week), hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned. They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

The problem has become so widespread that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers.

Sir Greg Knight's Private Members Bill to curb the excesses, and perhaps close down, some of these companies passed its Third Reading in late November, and, with a fair wind, will become Law next year.

All three readings are available to watch on the internet, (some 6-7 hours), and published in Hansard. MPs have an extremely low opinion of the industry. Many are complaining that they are becoming overwhelmed by complaints from members of the public. Add to their burden, complain in the most robust terms about the scammers.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure