Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SCUD
    • By SCUD 13th Jan 19, 9:15 PM
    • 96Posts
    • 8Thanks
    SCUD
    Highview Parking - overstaying...for a reason
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:15 PM
    Highview Parking - overstaying...for a reason 13th Jan 19 at 9:15 PM
    Hi all...

I have received a Charge Notice by post from Highview Parking. It is regarding my car overstaying at a retail park.

I have checked with the driver and they said they were at one of the shops doing business and the business talks and discussions took long which caused the driver to exceed the maximum stay.

The driver said that nobody at that shop gave them a heads up about not overstaying. Of course because they wanted to secure a deal!

So what do you advise here?

Shall I appeal as the keeper using the template in the newbie thread?

Or should I ask the driver to contact the shop so they speak to Highway Parking to cancel the charge notice?
    Last edited by SCUD; 13-01-2019 at 9:38 PM. Reason: corrected charge issuer's name
Page 1
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 13th Jan 19, 9:20 PM
    • 12,110 Posts
    • 12,850 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:20 PM
    I cannot understand why the driver has not already contacted the store he was 'doing business' with to get them to cancel the charge.

That must be the first thing to do - as stated in the first post of the NEWBIES thread.

Highway Parking? Is that right?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 13th Jan 19, 9:20 PM
    • 21,327 Posts
    • 33,600 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Shall I appeal as the keeper using the template in the newbie thread?
    Yep, do that.

Or should I ask the driver to contact the shop so they speak to Highway Parking to cancel the charge notice?
    In parallel with the above, but be careful about how the driver is identified. Just need some careful thinking before putting the mouth into gear. The keeper has Protection under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012; the driver does not!
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 13th Jan 19, 9:29 PM
    • 38,556 Posts
    • 86,432 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:29 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:29 PM
    Presumably the person in the shop was "an occupant" of the car.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 13th Jan 19, 9:31 PM
    • 12,110 Posts
    • 12,850 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:31 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:31 PM
    Please change the PPC's name in the thread title too.

Go into edit on your opening post, choose Go Advanced, then correct the contents of the Title box.
    • SCUD
    • By SCUD 13th Jan 19, 9:37 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    SCUD
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:37 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:37 PM
    I cannot understand why the driver has not already contacted the store he was 'doing business' with to get them to cancel the charge.

That must be the first thing to do - as stated in the first post of the NEWBIES thread.

Highway Parking? Is that right?
    Originally posted by KeithP

Sorry, It is Highview Parking. Thanks for bringing this to my attension.

I will ask the driver to do as advised, the letter just arrived and I was exploring my options.

Yep, do that.

In parallel with the above, but be careful about how the driver is identified. Just need some careful thinking before putting the mouth into gear. The keeper has Protection under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012; the driver does not!
    Originally posted by Umkomaas

So is it better for the driver to speak to the shop regarding the charge? or I call them explaining the situation as the keeper. And also who guarntees they will speak to the Highview Parking before the appeal window closes?
    • waamo
    • By waamo 13th Jan 19, 10:22 PM
    • 5,243 Posts
    • 6,836 Thanks
    waamo
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:22 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:22 PM
    Do both/ send the template and contact the shop. A belt and braces approach never hurts and should pretty much guarantee a result.
    This space for hire.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 13th Jan 19, 11:10 PM
    • 2,804 Posts
    • 3,493 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:10 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:10 PM
    Sorry, It is Highview Parking. Thanks for bringing this to my attension.

I will ask the driver to do as advised, the letter just arrived and I was exploring my options.

So is it better for the driver to speak to the shop regarding the charge? or I call them explaining the situation as the keeper. And also who guarntees they will speak to the Highview Parking before the appeal window closes?
    Originally posted by SCUD
    in person armed with a photocopy of the letter from the PPC , which he will write his phone number/email on and in a rather loud voice to the MANAGEMENT state "sort it" or I am returning goods NOW
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • Redx
    • By Redx 13th Jan 19, 11:39 PM
    • 21,042 Posts
    • 26,445 Thanks
    Redx
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:39 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:39 PM
    but no mentioning who was driving the vehicle to said shop

its an aggrieved occupant of the vehicle who is complaining on behalf of the keeper because the shops tardiness has caused this alleged breach of the parking rules and this occupant should have been warned by the shop about it

so the "shop manager" should contact Highview on behlaf of the keeper and get it cancelled asap

a landowner or retailer or M.A. cancellation is ALWAYS the BEST option, is it not ?
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Jan 19, 12:49 AM
    • 65,759 Posts
    • 78,282 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Highview are so dead easy to beat, as long as no-one implies who was driving, the appeal on its own would do the job, but I would certainly complain as well.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 14th Jan 19, 9:14 AM
    • 11,505 Posts
    • 11,593 Thanks
    The Deep
    Tell the driver to complain to their MP.

It is the will of Parliament that these scammers be put out of business.

Hopefully that will take place in the near future. The Bill has passed through the HOC without hitch, and goes to the Lords soon. In the meantime involve your MP, the poor dears are buckling under the weight of complaints about these scammers.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of alleged contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors. Is has been suggested by an MP that some of these companies may have connections to organised crime.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, (especially Smart}, and others have already been named and shamed in the House of Commons as have Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each week), hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned. They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

The problem has become so widespread that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers.

Sir Greg Knight's Private Members Bill to curb the excesses, and perhaps close down, some of these companies passed its Third Reading in late November, and, with a fair wind, will become Law next year.

All three readings are available to watch on the internet, (some 6-7 hours), and published in Hansard. MPs have an extremely low opinion of the industry. Many are complaining that they are becoming overwhelmed by complaints from members of the public. Add to their burden, complain in the most robust terms about the scammers.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • SCUD
    • By SCUD 18th Jan 19, 8:28 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    SCUD
    The driver contacted the shop via email regarding this but the employee didnt reply back.

The driver then phoned the shop and spoke to a different employee who told him to send the picture of the letter.

The driver sent that in the email and again he got confirmation from the second employee.

The driver called the shop again and asked if that employee recieved the email? They said yes and they will contact the parking company.

The thing is this confirmation happened verbally.

I am thinking of calling highview parking few days before appaeal window closes and ask if it has been cancelled. If not I will have 2 options:
    1) appeal uaing the template
    2) appeal stating the fact of the driver was at that shop and the emails and calls that happened between the driver and the shop.

What do you think?
    • waamo
    • By waamo 18th Jan 19, 8:40 AM
    • 5,243 Posts
    • 6,836 Thanks
    waamo
    Appeal using the template. Do not alter it or deviate from it.
    This space for hire.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 18th Jan 19, 8:47 AM
    • 21,327 Posts
    • 33,600 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Appeal using the template. Do not alter it or deviate from it.
    Originally posted by waamo
    And be extremely careful that the correct option in the drop down box on the HV appeal portal is selected, and as a final check before pressing the submit button that it hasn't defaulted to 'I was the driver'.

Take a screenshot to show you have selected the correct option - there have been some cases where HV have shown their own screenshots of 'I was the driver' being selected, but we believe the option defaulted to 'driver' just before submission of the appeal.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 18th Jan 19, 12:32 PM
    • 12,110 Posts
    • 12,850 Thanks
    KeithP
    I am thinking of calling highview parking...

What do you think?
    Not a good idea.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 18th Jan 19, 2:17 PM
    • 38,556 Posts
    • 86,432 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    The driver contacted the shop via email regarding this but the employee didnt reply back.

The driver then phoned the shop and spoke to a different employee who told him to send the picture of the letter.

The driver sent that in the email and again he got confirmation from the second employee.

The driver called the shop again and asked if that employee recieved the email? They said yes and they will contact the parking company.

The thing is this confirmation happened verbally.

I am thinking of calling highview parking few days before appaeal window closes and ask if it has been cancelled. If not I will have 2 options:
    1) appeal uaing the template
    2) appeal stating the fact of the driver was at that shop and the emails and calls that happened between the driver and the shop.

What do you think?

You have not been advised to call anyone. You were advised to follow the information in the NEWBIES which quite specifically tells you not to call anyone, ever.

You were also told not to identify the driver. You were advised that the keeper or an occupant of the car should have contacted the shop, not the driver.

If the shop now decide to pass the driver's identity of the driver to the scammers, all the hard work and good advice given here by the regulars will have been undone.

We give specific advice for very specific reasons. You are of course not obliged to take that advice, but it is at your own risk if you don't.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th Jan 19, 12:27 AM
    • 65,759 Posts
    • 78,282 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Highview are so dead easy to beat, as long as no-one implies who was driving, the appeal on its own would do the job
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    I said the above and I meant it.

HIGHVIEW are ALWAYS beaten here - but not when people go off piste and think that a parking firm is a normal company with some sort of caring customer service team, that you can ring up.

NO PHONING THEM.

They will cancel if you send the NEWBIES thread template.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • SCUD
    • By SCUD 19th Jan 19, 1:56 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    SCUD
    You have not been advised to call anyone. You were advised to follow the information in the NEWBIES which quite specifically tells you not to call anyone, ever.

You were also told not to identify the driver. You were advised that the keeper or an occupant of the car should have contacted the shop, not the driver.

If the shop now decide to pass the driver's identity of the driver to the scammers, all the hard work and good advice given here by the regulars will have been undone.

We give specific advice for very specific reasons. You are of course not obliged to take that advice, but it is at your own risk if you don't.
    Originally posted by Fruitcake
    When the driver called the shop, they said to the shop that "we visited your shop....and the car reg xxxxxxx got a ticket"
    So the driver didn't tell the shop on the phone that the caller is the driver.

I said the above and I meant it.

HIGHVIEW are ALWAYS beaten here - but not when people go off piste and think that a parking firm is a normal company with some sort of caring customer service team, that you can ring up.

NO PHONING THEM.

They will cancel if you send the NEWBIES thread template.
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    I will send it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,667Posts Today

8,489Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin