PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help with problems

Hi first can i say im sorry for my writing and bad spelling really not good with all this.

But i have rented an house for 4 years never missed any payments or compalined about anything until last month when a perspex roof lite broke and blew off.

I reported it to the land lord and waited a few weeks for him to come out when he did he ordered a new sheet and went week later come back to do the job ont he 17th dec so had a week of constant rain all my stuff got wet and i was also worried because it's asbestos but he never seem to care and nothing i could do any way he did the job but the new sheet did not fit correct so he bodged it on which did stop most of the rain but left all his mess behind and not been back to do the other jobs which i have listed below and been like this for 4 years so wondering what i should do now i am so fedup of it all any help or info would be great thank you

Asbestos Garage roof broken two places and huge hole
Garage window rotten and glass falling out
Rubbish soil and grass cuttings left behind garage
Seals on Windows all drafty and gas bill expensive
Big Hole in front room floor
Bathroom window wont open at all never has
Black mold around sons bedroom window
kitchen wall also goes black with mold

Comments

• Move house ?
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So if you get the landlord to come out and make all these repairs the chances are that he will bodge then all and they you won't be any better off.

It is up to you to report problems to the landlord so you should have written to him about the hole in the front room floor as soon as it appeared. Likewise with the holes in the garage roof.

The house sounds terrible to be honest and not in good repair. You will probably find that the simplest solution is to move to a house in better repair to start with.
  • Move house ?

That's harder said than done the rents are all over £700 for 2 or 3 bed
  • Cakeguts wrote: »
    So if you get the landlord to come out and make all these repairs the chances are that he will bodge then all and they you won't be any better off.

It is up to you to report problems to the landlord so you should have written to him about the hole in the front room floor as soon as it appeared. Likewise with the holes in the garage roof.

The house sounds terrible to be honest and not in good repair. You will probably find that the simplest solution is to move to a house in better repair to start with.

I did email last month about them all but only done one job and left all the mess behind from that.

PS when i moved in they told me they would do all the others but never.
  • PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    The landlord/agent is most probably violating your health and safety with the concrete asbestos. Have a chat with citizens advice. You could try the council.
  • PhilE wrote: »
    The landlord/agent is most probably violating your health and safety with the concrete asbestos. Have a chat with citizens advice. You could try the council.

I did try the council no help at all and wont do anything about the garage roof told me anyone can remove or repair it :( i have emphysema plus other health problems and the stress from this just makes me worse

I did try many times to call citizens advice but never get an answer.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    When did you report all of these problems to the LL/agent in a letter?
  • Slithery wrote: »
    When did you report all of these problems to the LL/agent in a letter?

yes to the land lord and council
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    yes to the land lord and council
    That isn't an answer to the question that I asked.
  • Slithery wrote: »
    That isn't an answer to the question that I asked.

I thought LL/agent meant land lord ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport