switching hassle finding a company for north of scotland

Options
I have tried 3 companies now and I'm having to wait 7-10 days then get rejections saying they can't offer me gas and electric. I've been on the websites and there is absolutely nowhere to say they can't do my area. I've sent emails and messages and nobody ever gets back to me. The cheap energy club is the same, no information about postcodes that companies won't offer. I can't go on trying companies one by one. I'm working my way down the list on the energy club comparisons and keep getting rejected. Can anyone suggest a way of finding out who I can switch too based on my postcode without having to do this long winder application and rejection process?

Comments

• wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 January 2019 at 4:31PM
    Options
    ostaragirl wrote: »
    I have tried 3 companies now and I'm having to wait 7-10 days then get rejections saying they can't offer me gas and electric. I've been on the websites and there is absolutely nowhere to say they can't do my area. I've sent emails and messages and nobody ever gets back to me. The cheap energy club is the same, no information about postcodes that companies won't offer. I can't go on trying companies one by one. I'm working my way down the list on the energy club comparisons and keep getting rejected. Can anyone suggest a way of finding out who I can switch too based on my postcode without having to do this long winder application and rejection process?
    By a strange coincidence, someone posted a very similar issue 3 days ago
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5948114

Also, consider separate suppliers as that can usually be cheaper.

For interest only, what is your usage in kWh for both gas & electricity, and which were the 3 suppliers that refused your application?

Edit: oh it was you that posted the same question 3 days ago ... :cool:
    ... and you responded later there saying it was because you were in a IGT supply area, not your geographical location that was the reason.

We are supplied via an IGT and have no issues. The CEC usually mentions any odd supplier that will not supply via an IGT today.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 January 2019 at 4:58PM
    Options
    I live in N Scotland and regularly switch, never had a supplier that would not take me. From my experience your post code filters out suppliers that will not supply you. Your metering for electric could be a bar to switching, certain types of meter are regional supplier specific. What tariffs are you on and who have you tried, what is the first 2 letters of your post code ?

edit ; [STRIKE]Searching this forum seems to suggest Bulb will not supply via IGTs but the majority will.[/STRIKE] Who is your current supplier ? Are you on a development where the energy is supplied on a completely private network ? What is the first 2 numbers of your gas MPRN ?

edit 2: There are stand alone networks, SIUs, using liquified natural gas run by SGN in Oban, Thurso, Wick, Stornoway and Campbeltown and I can't find information either way if these are open to the competitive market.
  • ostaragirl
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    I live in N Scotland and regularly switch, never had a supplier that would not take me. From my experience your post code filters out suppliers that will not supply you. Your metering for electric could be a bar to switching, certain types of meter are regional supplier specific. What tariffs are you on and who have you tried, what is the first 2 letters of your post code ?

edit ; Searching this forum seems to suggest Bulb will not supply via IGTs but the majority will. Who is your current supplier ? Are you on a development where the energy is supplied on a completely private network ? What is the first 2 numbers of your gas MPRN ?

edit 2: There are stand alone networks, SIUs, using liquified natural gas run by SGN in Oban, Thurso, Wick, Stornoway and Campbeltown and I can't find information either way if these are open to the competitive market.

Tried bulb and octopus, currently with EDF, I'm on normal meters, not smart or anything, standard tarrif. Not on a development. Gas MPRN 10. Postcode KW
  • pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    edit ; Searching this forum seems to suggest Bulb will not supply via IGTs but the majority will. ....

Well that probably only goes to indicate you can't believe much you see on this forum lately :(

Afaik, Bulb Energy have always supported an IGT supply.
    I remember when they launched, they applied an extortionate £100 p.a supplementary charge :eek:
    (which was odd because that was far more than any other supplier had ever charged, and most other suppliers were already phasing out the supplementary charge. BG never had a surcharge)

Bulb finally relented, and in June 2107 totally removed their extortionate surcharge following the Nexus project.

https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001227731-My-gas-is-supplied-by-an-independent-gas-transporter-IGT-what-does-this-mean-
  • pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2019 at 12:38AM
    Options
    Tried bulb and octopus, currently with EDF, I'm on normal meters, not smart or anything, standard tarrif. Not on a development. Gas MPRN 10. Postcode KW

Afaik, Octopus Energy also support IGTs.
    At least they did back in November 2017
    Octopus Energy does support customers on an Independent Gas Transporter (IGT).
    https://blog.thebigdeal.com/faqs-octopus-energy-deal-38-degrees-november-2017/

and I'm not aware of any supplier that has ever stopped supporting supply via an IGT haviung previously supported such.

Term 7.4.6 also suggests they support supply via an IGT
    https://octopus.energy/policies/terms-and-conditions/
    but that a surcharge will apply.

However, an MPRN starting 10 would indicate you are NOT supplied via an IGT.

Could you answer this question posed above by wavelets please?
    wavelets wrote:
    For interest only, what is your usage in kWh for both gas & electricity, ...
  • ostaragirl
    Options
    Annual usage for Electricity 3584 and gas 39,598
  • ostaragirl
    Options
    I'll post this here as well, reply from bulb
    I'm emailing as there's been a problem with your recent request to switch to Bulb.

Your gas is located on an independent local distribution zone and because of this, unfortunately Bulb isn't able to supply gas to your property. Sorry about this! It tends to be only the bigger, regional suppliers that are able to take people on in these zones.

We can still take on your electricity if you'd like us to take this over? Just let me know and I'll process with an electricity only switch.

Thanks,
    Matt!
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Annual usage for Electricity 3584 and gas 39,598

Surely some mistake - that is over 3 times the average usage.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 January 2019 at 5:00PM
    Options
    It seems that you are on the Wick SIU which is an off grid network but as you are supplied by EDF it must be open to competition, the network is run by SSE/SGN and you would likely be stuck with them otherwise. An IGT generally runs its own pipework from a tap into the national grid. It might be worth going here https://findmysupplier.energy/webapp/index.html and see who your neighbours use, it will also show who your gas transporter (network owner) is.
  • ostaragirl
    Options
    Tried the link it says supplier not found and to phone a number for domestic m helpline. I’m probably just going to have to stay with EDF and go on a different tariff with them as I can’t see what options I have.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure