Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ostaragirl
    • By ostaragirl 12th Jan 19, 2:32 PM
    • 262Posts
    • 1,446Thanks
    ostaragirl
    switching hassle finding a company for north of scotland
    • 12th Jan 19, 2:32 PM
    switching hassle finding a company for north of scotland 12th Jan 19 at 2:32 PM
    I have tried 3 companies now and I'm having to wait 7-10 days then get rejections saying they can't offer me gas and electric. I've been on the websites and there is absolutely nowhere to say they can't do my area. I've sent emails and messages and nobody ever gets back to me. The cheap energy club is the same, no information about postcodes that companies won't offer. I can't go on trying companies one by one. I'm working my way down the list on the energy club comparisons and keep getting rejected. Can anyone suggest a way of finding out who I can switch too based on my postcode without having to do this long winder application and rejection process?
Page 1
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 12th Jan 19, 3:21 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    wavelets
    • 12th Jan 19, 3:21 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 3:21 PM
    I have tried 3 companies now and I'm having to wait 7-10 days then get rejections saying they can't offer me gas and electric. I've been on the websites and there is absolutely nowhere to say they can't do my area. I've sent emails and messages and nobody ever gets back to me. The cheap energy club is the same, no information about postcodes that companies won't offer. I can't go on trying companies one by one. I'm working my way down the list on the energy club comparisons and keep getting rejected. Can anyone suggest a way of finding out who I can switch too based on my postcode without having to do this long winder application and rejection process?
    Originally posted by ostaragirl
    By a strange coincidence, someone posted a very similar issue 3 days ago
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5948114

Also, consider separate suppliers as that can usually be cheaper.

For interest only, what is your usage in kWh for both gas & electricity, and which were the 3 suppliers that refused your application?

Edit: oh it was you that posted the same question 3 days ago ...
    ... and you responded later there saying it was because you were in a IGT supply area, not your geographical location that was the reason.

We are supplied via an IGT and have no issues. The CEC usually mentions any odd supplier that will not supply via an IGT today.
    Last edited by wavelets; 12-01-2019 at 3:31 PM.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 12th Jan 19, 3:26 PM
    • 19,966 Posts
    • 14,225 Thanks
    molerat
    • 12th Jan 19, 3:26 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 3:26 PM
    I live in N Scotland and regularly switch, never had a supplier that would not take me. From my experience your post code filters out suppliers that will not supply you. Your metering for electric could be a bar to switching, certain types of meter are regional supplier specific. What tariffs are you on and who have you tried, what is the first 2 letters of your post code ?

edit ; Searching this forum seems to suggest Bulb will not supply via IGTs but the majority will. Who is your current supplier ? Are you on a development where the energy is supplied on a completely private network ? What is the first 2 numbers of your gas MPRN ?

edit 2: There are stand alone networks, SIUs, using liquified natural gas run by SGN in Oban, Thurso, Wick, Stornoway and Campbeltown and I can't find information either way if these are open to the competitive market.
    Last edited by molerat; 13-01-2019 at 3:58 PM.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • ostaragirl
    • By ostaragirl 12th Jan 19, 4:50 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 1,446 Thanks
    ostaragirl
    • 12th Jan 19, 4:50 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 4:50 PM
    I live in N Scotland and regularly switch, never had a supplier that would not take me. From my experience your post code filters out suppliers that will not supply you. Your metering for electric could be a bar to switching, certain types of meter are regional supplier specific. What tariffs are you on and who have you tried, what is the first 2 letters of your post code ?

edit ; Searching this forum seems to suggest Bulb will not supply via IGTs but the majority will. Who is your current supplier ? Are you on a development where the energy is supplied on a completely private network ? What is the first 2 numbers of your gas MPRN ?

edit 2: There are stand alone networks, SIUs, using liquified natural gas run by SGN in Oban, Thurso, Wick, Stornoway and Campbeltown and I can't find information either way if these are open to the competitive market.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Tried bulb and octopus, currently with EDF, I'm on normal meters, not smart or anything, standard tarrif. Not on a development. Gas MPRN 10. Postcode KW
    • pooch
    • By pooch 12th Jan 19, 11:19 PM
    • 775 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    pooch
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:19 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:19 PM
    edit ; Searching this forum seems to suggest Bulb will not supply via IGTs but the majority will. ....
    Well that probably only goes to indicate you can't believe much you see on this forum lately

Afaik, Bulb Energy have always supported an IGT supply.
    I remember when they launched, they applied an extortionate £100 p.a supplementary charge
    (which was odd because that was far more than any other supplier had ever charged, and most other suppliers were already phasing out the supplementary charge. BG never had a surcharge)

Bulb finally relented, and in June 2107 totally removed their extortionate surcharge following the Nexus project.

https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001227731-My-gas-is-supplied-by-an-independent-gas-transporter-IGT-what-does-this-mean-
    • pooch
    • By pooch 12th Jan 19, 11:28 PM
    • 775 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    pooch
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:28 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:28 PM
    Tried bulb and octopus, currently with EDF, I'm on normal meters, not smart or anything, standard tarrif. Not on a development. Gas MPRN 10. Postcode KW
    Afaik, Octopus Energy also support IGTs.
    At least they did back in November 2017
    Octopus Energy does support customers on an Independent Gas Transporter (IGT).
    https://blog.thebigdeal.com/faqs-octopus-energy-deal-38-degrees-november-2017/

and I'm not aware of any supplier that has ever stopped supporting supply via an IGT haviung previously supported such.

Term 7.4.6 also suggests they support supply via an IGT
    https://octopus.energy/policies/terms-and-conditions/
    but that a surcharge will apply.

However, an MPRN starting 10 would indicate you are NOT supplied via an IGT.

Could you answer this question posed above by wavelets please?

For interest only, what is your usage in kWh for both gas & electricity, ...
    by wavelets
    Last edited by pooch; 12-01-2019 at 11:38 PM.
    • ostaragirl
    • By ostaragirl 13th Jan 19, 3:13 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 1,446 Thanks
    ostaragirl
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:13 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:13 PM
    Annual usage for Electricity 3584 and gas 39,598
    • ostaragirl
    • By ostaragirl 13th Jan 19, 3:14 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 1,446 Thanks
    ostaragirl
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:14 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:14 PM
    I'll post this here as well, reply from bulb
    I'm emailing as there's been a problem with your recent request to switch to Bulb.

Your gas is located on an independent local distribution zone and because of this, unfortunately Bulb isn't able to supply gas to your property. Sorry about this! It tends to be only the bigger, regional suppliers that are able to take people on in these zones.

We can still take on your electricity if you'd like us to take this over? Just let me know and I'll process with an electricity only switch.

Thanks,
    Matt!
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 13th Jan 19, 3:23 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    wavelets
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:23 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:23 PM
    Annual usage for Electricity 3584 and gas 39,598
    Surely some mistake - that is over 3 times the average usage.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 13th Jan 19, 3:54 PM
    • 19,966 Posts
    • 14,225 Thanks
    molerat
    It seems that you are on the Wick SIU which is an off grid network but as you are supplied by EDF it must be open to competition, the network is run by SSE/SGN and you would likely be stuck with them otherwise. An IGT generally runs its own pipework from a tap into the national grid. It might be worth going here https://findmysupplier.energy/webapp/index.html and see who your neighbours use, it will also show who your gas transporter (network owner) is.
    Last edited by molerat; 13-01-2019 at 4:00 PM.
    • ostaragirl
    • By ostaragirl 13th Jan 19, 8:43 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 1,446 Thanks
    ostaragirl
    Tried the link it says supplier not found and to phone a number for domestic m helpline. Iím probably just going to have to stay with EDF and go on a different tariff with them as I canít see what options I have.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 13th Jan 19, 10:04 PM
    • 3,524 Posts
    • 2,276 Thanks
    Robin9
    ............ and gas 39,598
    Are you sure ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • molerat
    • By molerat 14th Jan 19, 12:31 AM
    • 19,966 Posts
    • 14,225 Thanks
    molerat
    Tried the link it says supplier not found and to phone a number for domestic m helpline. I’m probably just going to have to stay with EDF and go on a different tariff with them as I can’t see what options I have.
    Have you tried looking at some neighbouring properties ? It could be there is a foul up in the national database, maybe something was not transferred across during the big update, and that is what is causing your switch failure. Give them a call and find out why you don't appear on that list.
    • ostaragirl
    • By ostaragirl 14th Jan 19, 6:12 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 1,446 Thanks
    ostaragirl
    Are you sure ?
    Originally posted by Robin9
    Hmm well that's what it says on my bill, it does say based on estimates which I don't understand as I've definitely had the meter reader round regular. I've not a clue if it's good or bad, I'm in an old house with a lot of rooms, in a cold place and my heating and cooking is gas.
    • ostaragirl
    • By ostaragirl 14th Jan 19, 6:14 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 1,446 Thanks
    ostaragirl
    Have you tried looking at some neighbouring properties ? It could be there is a foul up in the national database, maybe something was not transferred across during the big update, and that is what is causing your switch failure. Give them a call and find out why you don't appear on that list.
    I've messaged some people asking what companies they are with so I'll see what comes back and I'll phone tomorrow and find out why it says no info on gas supplier. TBH I'm getting a bit fed up of the whole thing. Whoever said switching was easy lol
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,174Posts Today

7,992Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin