PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Brought a house then broken up a month later. Help?

Options

Comments

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    I feel for you, but all the posters above are correct in that who was right or wrong or who behaved badly or who trusted who absolutely doesn't come into the legalities of the situation.

You need to wait until the 6 month mark and then sell. That is literally the only option, as much as it sucks. You will lose money.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger though. You'll get through it and come out the other side and things will be brighter before you know it. Good luck.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had no reason to not trust him in my eyes everything was great. Why would you buy a house with someone if you wasn't convinced you wanted to be with them. Literally the weeks after competing. If he'd done it the weeks before we wouldn't be looking at losing thousands of pounds. How is that fair?
    Try and take some positives from the situation. You found out before you got married and/or had children with him.

Thus you have saved yourself several tens of thousands of pounds and a lifetime of emotional linkage with someone that you now (probably justifiably) cannot stand.

Do your best to take the emotion out of it and treat the situation as if it were a business deal gone wrong. The more emotion gets in the way, the greater the risk of costs spiraling out of control.

The advice of others, though not that happy/positive, is all good advice. Good luck getting it sorted.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • goodwithsaving
    goodwithsaving Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 January 2019 at 11:21PM
    Options
    I've been there, although not within the 6 month time frame. Our relationship fell apart after 12 months.

It's hard but believe me when I assure you, things will work out and you will be so much stronger afterwards. I learned a lot from that experience, and don't regret it. It was hard, but I've come out the other end. Thank heavens we didn't marry, or have children.

Practicalities:
    Figure out the 50:50 split of gross sale (if this was the agreed division, or the property is jointly owned not as TiC)

Deduct fees of sale
    Deduct outstanding mortgage and redemption penalty

You'll get a rough idea of what you will each have left.
    With you half, do you have enough to acquire a mortgage on another property if you wish? If so, this may avoid the redemption penalty if you have a portable mortgage. You would pay the penalty on the amount not carried over.
    E.g. joint mortgage 200k. Solo mortgage port: 150k. The redemption penalty then applies to 50k.

Spend the next few weeks handling the heartbreak, and then go into practical mode to look after yourself. You can only sell after 6 months, but of course you can prepare (hard as it is when you have just moved in) to sell before that time by getting things ready.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There's no absolute ban on selling a house bought less than six months ago,it's just difficult to get a mortgage on one, and given the slow market and the fact that by the time you get it up for sale you'll be 2 months into that time, I'd just get on with putting it up for sale now.
    I agree you have a right to feel aggrieved but that doesn't alter the legal situation so you just need to get on with it, as others have said it could have been worse with marriage or children.
  • CGG
    CGG Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    !!!!!! Grow up!
    Relationships come and go every day.
    We all have problems to overcome.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    CGG wrote: »
    !!!!!! Grow up!
    Relationships come and go every day.
    We all have problems to overcome.

Calm down.
    Yes we all have problems. No it isn’t bad to ask for advice when you encounter a new problem and it feels overwhelming.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Depending on your age and how much money you personally invested in buying the property, your best option may just be to cut your losses, find yourself a rented property asap, move in and wash your hands of the house.

The worst that can happen is you are made bankrupt but after a couple of years the worst effects of that will be over and done with.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Being made bankrupt seems an extreme solution if the OP can hang on in there till they're more likely to be able to sell after 6 months.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Being made bankrupt seems an extreme solution if the OP can hang on in there till they're more likely to be able to sell after 6 months.

The big word in your reply is 'if'.

Only the OP can decide if it's worth pouring yet more money into the situation in the hope of salvaging something, or whether she needs to bail out now to save herself.

From what she has said so far, by holding on to the house she will need an awful lot of money, plus the hope that the boyfriend keeps to his side of the bargain, AND that they can sell the house in June AND not sell at a loss.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Me and my partner were together 8 years and he proposed in May 2018, we then booked our wedding for June 2019. In the summer we looked at buying a house together. We then completed on this 225k house start of December 2018. He then changed and started acting mean to me. By start of January 2019 he broke up with me. He left and I'm left in the house. We've agreed he'll pay half the bills and mortgage until sorted.

Now we have a 200k joint mortgage, which neither of us want or can afford by ourselves, a house that was only for us both to live together in and doesn't benefit us individually. Issues include he selected a 5 year fixed mortgage which has a £8.5k early repayment fee if we sell. He selected a higher monthly repayment to make the mortgage period shorter and together we could afford individually it's hard. We'll have to pay £3k worth of solicitor and estate agent fees if we sell as well. And we've got to hope that someone pays the same as we did. All in all I'm not convinced I'd get much change from my £11k deposit.

I feel very hard done by as he didn't tell me before buying the house he was having doubts and wanted to break up and said he thought things would improve. I feel like this situation has been caused by him and I don't feel I should also lose my deposit because of his poor decision and not being up front with me. He's saying it's 50 50 and legally I've got no leg to stand on.

Please can anyone help me or give any advice?
    Is the £11k deposit entirely yours? Did your ex-partner contribute some of the deposit?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure