Return flight from San Fransisco to London - where to book?

Options
Hi a friend is visiting from CA in February and I've been looking at the flight prices.

Virgin seem quite pricy when booking direct is there a recommended 3rd party to book through that would make it cheaper.

When I flew from London to San Francisco recently I got a brilliant price through STA travel £100's cheaper than booking direct with Virgin.

Any suggestions please?

and when is the best time to book?

tia

sparkie

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    are you looking for prices for February 2019?
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Options
    Probably much cheaper to book in the US if the journey starts there but for good fares from San Francisco or Oakland check out Norwegian to Gatwick, almost certainly a lot less expensive than Virgin
  • sparkiemalarkie
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    are you looking for prices for February 2019?

Yes, February 2019

sparkie
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Options
    Never book with a travel agent unless you're looking at saving a quarter or more of the price over the air line.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I use 1800flyeurope and bt-store for one way from the US.

Use Skyscanner and momondo to scan the deals from airlines and bucket shops.

I do not do bucket shop on line to many stories of flights not existing do by phone to get confirmed dates/times before booking.
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    "and when is the best time to book?"

Well Feb is less than a month away so should be looking now. You don't give exact dates but just entering random dates on google flights you can get return fares in the £300's, hold luggage may be extra.

Google flights usually links direct to the airline so no faffing and worrying with OTA's.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Options
    Virgin seem quite pricy when booking direct is there a recommended 3rd party to book through that would make it cheaper.

Off the top of my head I would be ok booking from AmEx Travel, Expedia, Ebookers and Netflights. The problem is that the sites that advertise the lowest prices tend to be the ones to avoid. Of course, you can book from the shonkiest site and still have no problems so at the end of the day it's down to the level of risk you're willing to take.
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 January 2019 at 6:36PM
    Options
    Virgin currently have sale on LHR - SFO return 8 - 16 Feb £304
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Options
    The sale is for flights from the UK. The OP is looking for flights from SFO. Mind you, there are several non-stop options in that direction below the £500 mark which isn't bad this close to departure. Not sure what sort of prices the OP (or his friend) was expecting to pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure