A quarter of households have had a smart meter installed - MSE News

A quarter of households in Britain have had a smart meter installed, MPs were told this morning...
Read the full story:
'A quarter of households have had a smart meter installed'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Just a shame that they can't read each other's meters.

Bizarrely, EE could read OVOs meters. But since then, I have no option to do so.
    The smaller the monkey the more it looks like it would kill you at the first given opportunity.
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    A quarter of households in Britain have had a smart meter installed, MPs were told this morning...
    Unfortunately less than 2% of these will continue to operate in smart mode (if not stopped already) should the customer elect to switch supplier
    ...the plan is that in due course you will be able to remotely upgrade it with software to allow it to ...
    ... again operate as a smart meter

However, there are already some reports that suggest this will not be possible, at least for some of the early meters installed.
    There are no guarantees, as no one has developed the software upgrade yet.

These first generation meters that do not currently continue to operate in smart mode after switching supplier may still be installed up to March this year.
  • thorganby
    thorganby Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The SMETS1 meters will no longer be installed by any firms from March. If you have one already, the plan is that in due course you will be able to remotely upgrade it with software to allow it to meet SMETS2 specifications.

Yet more incorrect journo drivel.
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Had one installed due to a £50 Amazon bribe. Don't plug it in. Hasn't changed our behaviour. Won't be resulting in us saving any electricity as we are already quite sensible anyway. At least it means we don't have to provide readings I guess.

If they wanted us to use it to look at our usage, the interface should have been as an app rather than a whole new, resource-requiring, power-consuming gadget. Cost to the electricity company of installing our smart meter = god knows what, but at least it stopped them pestering me, and I got my Amazon voucher. I somehow doubt I'm the only one to treat the roll out like this.

Overall, probably one of the biggest Government shambles I can remember. It's like the universal credit roll out, but screwing over everyone who pays a utility bill instead of just benefit claimants.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    VT82 wrote: »
    Had one installed due to a £50 Amazon bribe. Don't plug it in. Hasn't changed our behaviour. Won't be resulting in us saving any electricity as we are already quite sensible anyway. At least it means we don't have to provide readings I guess.

Have you actually had a bill based on the Smart meter reading? If so, have you checked that the reading they claim has been received, agrees with the actual reading?

Talking to a relation of mine who has had smart meters fitted by Scottish Power, he has just found out that they haven't actually been receiving any data so have been estimating!

Just wonder how many of the currently installed SMETS 1 meters have NEVER communicated with the installing supplier!
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    wavelets wrote: »
    However, there are already some reports that suggest this will not be possible, at least for some of the early meters installed.
    There are no guarantees, as no one has developed the software upgrade yet.

Which reports? How do you know that "no one has developed the software upgrade yet" (QUOTE).

Probably the problem we have in discussing the proposed software upgrade is that discussion has been confined to the industry in particular manufacturers of smart meters. But information is available if you care to search for it> As a starting point try:
    https://www.cgi-group.co.uk/en-gb/utilities/smart-metering

There are basically two camps: Those who say that the SMETS1 upgrade will be completed during 2019 to make most meters interoperable with the DCC which are principally the government, OFGEM, CGI and the DCC. The other camp is one which says that the government, OFGEM, CGI and the DCC are talking rubbish and the software upgrade will never happen. One or other of those camps will eventually end up with egg on their faces.
  • JuneS
    JuneS Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Post
    Had one installed due to a £50 Amazon bribe. Don't plug it in. Hasn't changed our behaviour. Won't be resulting in us saving any electricity as we are already quite sensible anyway....

tenor.gif
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Heres an amazing headline....3/4 of households dont have a smart meter.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

Make sure that they are actually reading your meters remotely and using the readings on your bills.

There are a lot of people out there who are expecting their "smart" meters to save them bothering with bill checking and meter reading and then getting a very nasty surprise whn they find out that it hasn't been working as it should.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • thorganby
    thorganby Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Which reports? How do you know that "no one has developed the software upgrade yet" (QUOTE).

Probably the problem we have in discussing the proposed software upgrade is that discussion has been confined to the industry in particular manufacturers of smart meters. But information is available if you care to search for it> As a starting point try:
    https://www.cgi-group.co.uk/en-gb/utilities/smart-metering

There are basically two camps: Those who say that the SMETS1 upgrade will be completed during 2019 to make most meters interoperable with the DCC which are principally the government, OFGEM, CGI and the DCC. The other camp is one which says that the government, OFGEM, CGI and the DCC are talking rubbish and the software upgrade will never happen. One or other of those camps will eventually end up with egg on their faces.

I can see why you recommended that website, "Smart Metering for Dummies - second edition" how very apt.

That website has to be the worst that I have seen so far and has absolutely no useful information on it whatsoever!

Search for "SMETS" - "No results"

I suppose that you believe the rubbish posted by MSE's news reporter quoted above, which shows that we cannot believe everything that we read on MSE.

There is so much misinformation posted on the forums which is understandable but surely we should expect any MSE news item to be properly researched and to be factually correct.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure