Christmas day - A place in europe thats open

I'd like to spend Christmas day abroad one year (maybe this year if prices are reasonable). I have never been away at Christmas before.

I would like a destination where businesses (shops, attractions and transport) is open as normal on Christmas day.

I do not drive and it will be a solo trip. A bit of sun would be a bonus. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Canaries. We go to lanzarote for new year and absolutely everything is open, its their busiest time of year.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Also expensive as not only families but also many older generations choose to holiday/long stay and many hotels are booked up 6/8 months in advance
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    A non Christian country would seem to be a good bet.
    Egypt?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Anywhere in Spain will be fairly open especially in the tourist areas. Christmas Day is treated like a bank holiday here with bars and restaurants open and public transport running even if on a reduced timetable. One of the best Christmas Days I've ever had was in Barcelona.

Just be warned though that it will be expensive. I used to regularly go abroad for Xmas/New Year but the prices have now got too high.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    Anywhere in Spain will be fairly open especially in the tourist areas. Christmas Day is treated like a bank holiday here with bars and restaurants open and public transport running even if on a reduced timetable. One of the best Christmas Days I've ever had was in Barcelona.

Just be warned though that it will be expensive. I used to regularly go abroad for Xmas/New Year but the prices have now got too high.

Blame the EU for all that Dosh.:)
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    Blame the EU for all that Dosh.:)

It's not just in the EU but everywhere. Going abroad for Xmas/New Year has just got lot more popular over the last few years. It's also peak season for SE Asia too.
  • mark1959
    mark1959 Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Turkey? As in the country.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    mark1959 wrote: »

Yep, just a case of toying with the weather.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    mark1959 wrote: »

As opposed to the dinner:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • The UK is unusual in completely shutting down on Christmas Day. You'll find it business as usual in Vienna for example
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure