Longer delivery times?

Has anyone else noticed that delivery times seem to be getting longer.
A small item, located in Cambridge estimated delivery Wed 24th, that is 11 days from now and it could take longer!
Earlier this month a small item from London took 14 days to get here in Lincolnshire, I could have walked there and back quicker!

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Is this on eBay? Delivery times on eBay take into account the seller's dispatch time, perhaps they are on holiday?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Or its from China? Seen as few sellers put dates that would make it appear like its in the UK. Im guessing when you query no item they will say wait a few more days. 14 days is average for my stuff from China.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,192 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Due to all the new metrics I have increased all my dispatch times, so yes , repeat buyers buying from me would see an increase in estimated delivery times. This is entirely due to all the nonsense eBay 'judge' us on including delivery times and buyers are often told by eBay that something sent next day via 2nd class postage will arrive in 36 hours which s clearly nonsense, a buyer then marks me down and I start to get niggly little warnings from eBay about my metrics.

By extending my dispatch time, but still sending same or next day I stand a better chance of hitting eBay estimates. Even so two parcels both sent 2 days earlier than required still show as a late defect in my seller dashboard as RM didn't update delivery details on time.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,989 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Yes this is on Ebay and I choose UK only for location.
    One item just arrived after 13 days from cardif. Seller had an English name and label looks as if it was sent from England but Seller also has a chinese script after their name.
  • ahh , many chinease companies are sending to a royal mail sort office , think its southampton , thacking numbers do not show for about a week then there is sudden activity
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    One item just arrived after 13 days from cardif. Seller had an English name and label looks as if it was sent from England but Seller also has a chinese script after their name.

Lots of Chinese sellers have UK warehouses, lots purport to have the item in xzy location when they don't. If the delivery time was x days and it came within that I'm not sure what the problem is.

Cardiff is in Wales.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,192 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

As abive, I'm not sure people from Cardiff would be happy at being described as in England 😀

Regardless of the actual delivery times, how did it compare to the estimated delivery times given by eBay?

It does worry me a little that all buyers see is delivery times and don't appear to take note of the dispatch times given by sellers. OP sellers can choose their own dispatch times, anything from same day to 30 days or so, Estimated delivery times are shown before you buy.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The problem with sellers adding on a bit of extra time for estimated delivery is that when a buyer is in a rush for the item they see estimates that maybe longer than they are prepared to wait, even though the item may arrive very quickly.

Had that recently, needed something fast and most of the estimates said 3 or 4 days. Scolling through for the buyer that had the lowest estimate.

Although the item may have been delivered the same day by any of the sellers. Ebays stupid tinkering.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• soolin wrote: »
    Due to all the new metrics I have increased all my dispatch times, so yes , repeat buyers buying from me would see an increase in estimated delivery times. This is entirely due to all the nonsense eBay 'judge' us on including delivery times and buyers are often told by eBay that something sent next day via 2nd class postage will arrive in 36 hours which s clearly nonsense, a buyer then marks me down and I start to get niggly little warnings from eBay about my metrics.

By extending my dispatch time, but still sending same or next day I stand a better chance of hitting eBay estimates. Even so two parcels both sent 2 days earlier than required still show as a late defect in my seller dashboard as RM didn't update delivery details on time.

Same here. I'm only an occasional seller these days but always give conservative delivery time estimates on my listings.
  • Market expectations are so high these days, but you still get items going in circles in the post and taking longer than expected. People can be belligerent and if the items not there by the exact date, and you ask then to wait a few days. "No, I had to buy the item from another seller and want a refund".
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure