Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tashyar
    • By Tashyar 12th Oct 18, 3:18 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Tashyar
    Not allowed to park at work
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:18 PM
    Not allowed to park at work 12th Oct 18 at 3:18 PM
    Hi,
    Can anyone help with this....I work in a retail park where if you stay more than 3 hours you put your number plate into a machine which are located in every store for staff to input for themselves or for the public if they stay longer than the limit. However we Are the only store on the retail park not allowed to do this and exempt ourselves (unless if you are a manager or part of security). We have found somewhere to park (which they didnít help with) but itís a 15 minute walk. Their is Atleast 300 free spaces a day and only 20 of us that arenít allowed to park. Is their a law against this or anything I can bring up with the employer not letting us park? Thanks.
Page 1
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 12th Oct 18, 3:23 PM
    • 38,013 Posts
    • 85,356 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:23 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:23 PM
    Hi,
    Can anyone help with this....I work in a retail park where if you stay more than 3 hours you put your number plate into a machine which are located in every store for staff to input for themselves or for the public if they stay longer than the limit. However we Are the only store on the retail park not allowed to do this and exempt ourselves (unless if you are a manager or part of security). We have found somewhere to park (which they didn’t help with) but it’s a 15 minute walk. Their is Atleast 300 free spaces a day and only 20 of us that aren’t allowed to park. Is their a law against this or anything I can bring up with the employer not letting us park? Thanks.
    Originally posted by Tashyar
    There is no law against this. Perhaps the retail companies have decided not to pay the landowner for parking to save money.

Do you have a union rep who can help? Short of all the workers getting together to negotiate this I don't see a solution.
    Parking at work is a perk not a right. Many people have to pay to park in commercial and council car parks when they go to work.

Is there an option to pay and display, or buy a permit for parking?
    Last edited by Fruitcake; 12-10-2018 at 3:55 PM.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 12th Oct 18, 3:25 PM
    • 3,783 Posts
    • 6,224 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:25 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:25 PM
    Does your contract of employment have an entitlement to park. If not, no entitlement to park.
    If you want to win - avoid losing first. Here are a few examples
    1. Failing to RTFM - the Civil Procedure Rules
    2. Failing to Acknowledge or Defend- See #1
    3. Failing to RTFCL - the Court letters
    4. Template defences that say nothing - See #1
    5. Forgetting about the Witness Statement - See #3
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 12th Oct 18, 3:28 PM
    • 5,846 Posts
    • 6,082 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:28 PM
    No this is not against the law. You're employer can tell you where you can, or conversely cannot park; that includes residential areas nearby.
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 12th Oct 18, 3:28 PM
    • 2,757 Posts
    • 4,101 Thanks
    gardner1
    "Their is At least 300 free spaces"........so just park in one of those,i think your over complicating it

At the end of the day its a private car park......which may or may not be patrolled by cowboys issuing invoices
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 12th Oct 18, 3:43 PM
    • 2,399 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:43 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:43 PM
    "Their is At least 300 free spaces"........so just park in one of those,i think your over complicating it

At the end of the day its a private car park......which may or may not be patrolled by cowboys issuing invoices
    Originally posted by gardner1
    I note the OK said "work" , not many people work for LESS than 3 hours

3 hrs was the time quoted by the OP on parking restrictions on the site

OP

change jobs , catch a bus , but do not park there for 8hrs plus WITHOUT permission or you will be back on this forum moaning about multiple tickets
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 12th Oct 18, 3:49 PM
    • 2,757 Posts
    • 4,101 Thanks
    gardner1
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:49 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:49 PM
    I note the OK said "work" , not many people work for LESS than 3 hours

3 hrs was the time quoted by the OP on parking restrictions on the site

OP

change jobs , catch a bus , but do not park there for 8hrs plus WITHOUT permission or you will be back on this forum moaning about multiple tickets
    Originally posted by twhitehousescat
    I think you mean invoices
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 12th Oct 18, 4:49 PM
    • 4,151 Posts
    • 4,933 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 12th Oct 18, 4:49 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 4:49 PM
    No this is not against the law. You're employer can tell you where you can, or conversely cannot park; that includes residential areas nearby.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    That's a dangerous route for an employer to go down. Not allowing employees to use the businesses parking is one thing but dictating where they can legally park on the public highway is another thing entirely.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 12th Oct 18, 5:36 PM
    • 5,846 Posts
    • 6,082 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 12th Oct 18, 5:36 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 5:36 PM
    That's a dangerous route for an employer to go down. Not allowing employees to use the businesses parking is one thing but dictating where they can legally park on the public highway is another thing entirely.
    Originally posted by Johno100
    No it's not. Companies can set whatever rules they want.

And frankly not upsetting the neighbours / customers is a very good reason to do so
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 12th Oct 18, 6:28 PM
    • 4,151 Posts
    • 4,933 Thanks
    Johno100
    No it's not. Companies can set whatever rules they want.

And frankly not upsetting the neighbours / customers is a very good reason to do so
    Well as long as the company/organisation is prepared to take responsibility for the personal safety of the employees they're forcing to park a distance from their premises then that's OK.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 12th Oct 18, 7:11 PM
    • 2,399 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    NO company can tell an employee NOT to park on a public road

however this may cause friction if the OP disregards this , but having said that , how can an employee LEGALLY get the VRN of the employee,

getting someone to follow / check when not on shift would result in "follower" getting two fingers poked in there eyes by me , other people may just ring police and report a stalker
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 12th Oct 18, 8:17 PM
    • 36,278 Posts
    • 46,751 Thanks
    McKneff
    For goodness sake, 15 minutes walk....

Look on it as a cardiac work out each day, it will do you the world of good......

I have heart disease, and 69 years old . I do 5 to 8k steps a day to help keep me alive
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 14th Oct 18, 12:32 AM
    • 5,846 Posts
    • 6,082 Thanks
    Comms69
    Well as long as the company/organisation is prepared to take responsibility for the personal safety of the employees they're forcing to park a distance from their premises then that's OK.
    Originally posted by Johno100
    And the law says this where exactly...

NO company can tell an employee NOT to park on a public road

however this may cause friction if the OP disregards this , but having said that , how can an employee LEGALLY get the VRN of the employee,

getting someone to follow / check when not on shift would result in "follower" getting two fingers poked in there eyes by me , other people may just ring police and report a stalker
    Originally posted by twhitehousescat
    Yes they can, and do, and if you donít like it; find another job- because youíll be out with your weeks notice.

How can an employer get a registration?
    ďTell me your registrationĒ

And youíd be facing a prosecution for assault as well as the dole queue....
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 14th Oct 18, 2:43 AM
    • 4,151 Posts
    • 4,933 Thanks
    Johno100
    And the law says this where exactly...
    You start getting involved in prescribing where and where not a member of staff can park perfectly legally off your premises then you have an extended common law duty of care to them.
    • nigelbb
    • By nigelbb 14th Oct 18, 11:59 AM
    • 2,041 Posts
    • 2,845 Thanks
    nigelbb
    Hi,
    Can anyone help with this....I work in a retail park where if you stay more than 3 hours you put your number plate into a machine which are located in every store for staff to input for themselves or for the public if they stay longer than the limit. However we Are the only store on the retail park not allowed to do this and exempt ourselves (unless if you are a manager or part of security). We have found somewhere to park (which they didnít help with) but itís a 15 minute walk. Their is Atleast 300 free spaces a day and only 20 of us that arenít allowed to park. Is their a law against this or anything I can bring up with the employer not letting us park? Thanks.
    Originally posted by Tashyar
    Why not park in one of those 300 free spaces & pop into one of the other stores & enter your registration on their machine?
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 14th Oct 18, 12:14 PM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    For goodness sake, 15 minutes walk....

Look on it as a cardiac work out each day, it will do you the world of good......

I have heart disease, and 69 years old . I do 5 to 8k steps a day to help keep me alive
    Originally posted by McKneff
    Agreed, I rarely drive to work these days because Oxford hates cars and the Park and Ride nearest to my work is normally full by the time I need to be in Oxford. Instead I do a 10 min walk from my house to railway station, a 15 min walk from Oxford railway station to work and at 5:30 pm do the same in reverse, really can't understand the OP's fuss at a short walk, tens of thousands of us have to do that every working day.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 14th Oct 18, 12:56 PM
    • 4,387 Posts
    • 6,232 Thanks
    Half_way
    There could be H&S issues if staff are required to park and walk somewhere ( ie personal safety) depending upon the area.
    Has your manager done a risk assessment on this?

but then again until you are on work premises and on company time how you get there should be of little or no concern
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 14th Oct 18, 3:41 PM
    • 4,151 Posts
    • 4,933 Thanks
    Johno100
    There could be H&S issues if staff are required to park and walk somewhere ( ie personal safety) depending upon the area.
    Has your manager done a risk assessment on this?
    Originally posted by Half_way
    Exactly, there's also Equality Act considerations for those members of staff with limited mobility or other health issues.

but then again until you are on work premises and on company time how you get there should be of little or no concern
    Originally posted by Half_way
    That's my view, but seemingly some employers want to get involved but don't want to take responsibility for the potential consequences of their interference.
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 14th Oct 18, 5:03 PM
    • 10,695 Posts
    • 10,083 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    Two points.

1. Just why are your employers not letting staff park on site?

2. I see no problem in an employer giving directions to where the nearest public parking is available. I worked in London all my life and my employer had no parking facilities and I can see no reason why they would have to assume responsibility for my safety if I chose to drive to work.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Oct 18, 5:10 PM
    • 65,248 Posts
    • 382,891 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    There could be many reasons the employers don't want you to park at work.

It could be that they have that as a blanket rule across ALL branches, to be consistent, so that others at stores where there is no parking don't feel disadvantaged.

It could be their lease on the building does not offer them the option.

It could be that the employers have to pay a Staff Parking Fee to the car park managers for the privilege of letting staff park there, a fee they are not prepared to pay.

You can't just moan without knowing why the rule has been set.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,777Posts Today

7,359Users online

Martin's Twitter