Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 9th Oct 18, 11:30 AM
    • 1,067Posts
    • 1,288Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    Feels like a mammoth declutter needed
    • 9th Oct 18, 11:30 AM
    Feels like a mammoth declutter needed 9th Oct 18 at 11:30 AM
    Planning to move house next year - downsizing (a bit). Big 5 bed to smaller 4 bed probably.

Really don't want to be trundling all the clobber half way across the country.

And there is the problem, far , far too much clobber. Have already decided we are only transporting the furniture we really like and the rest will go to local furniture recycling service - that is probably less of a problem

Have started with clearing out my wardrobe actually the wardrobe was full and never opened so I dumped everything I was using on the sofa. Now it is possible to sit on the sofa and there is just the right amount of stuff in the wardrobe.

Onto the chest of drawers - two drawers are full of Xmas paper OK will use it this year and not buy any new.

Next stop.... my study.. wish me luck
Page 2
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 11th Oct 18, 4:20 PM
    • 3,307 Posts
    • 6,787 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    Good luck, OP!

We're also doing some serious decluttering, having recently liberated our worldly possessions from what began as three large storage units when we sold our last house in February

I should add that we are collectors and definitely not minimalists, lol!

Going back about ten years we downsized from a 3500 sq ft, six bedroom house (with space for a wapping ELEVEN sofas ) to a five bed that was less than half the size, then to another (larger) five bed, then in 2014 to a slightly smaller four bed. Our current cottage is a cosy 1400 sq ft two bed.

Along the way we've sold stuff and bought more - the original decluttering of the 'big' house led to starting an online antiques/interiors business we ran for a few years.

I recently calculated we'd sold over fifty of our own pieces of furniture over the past ten years......yikes!

So now we have a much smaller home - that we plan to stay in - and whilst we've not stopped buying, we have loads of stuff (from clothes to collectables) that we're gradually going through......and that's after a major declutter before we sold our last house.

It's very therapeutic!
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free for ten years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 11th Oct 18, 7:48 PM
    • 2,852 Posts
    • 35,498 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    I took a van-load of stuff to our local scrap store today; fabric, wool, spinning/felting fibre, canvas, haberdashery - and have put some bits they wouldn't have been so pleased with up on Freecycle - old feather cushion pads, etc. Next to go will be some of my paper collection! I do make cards, I scrapbook (but not in the American style) and I also make handmade books, and have accumulated far more than I can possibly use.

Interestingly, I realised as I parted with the stuff that an awful lot of it had been given to me; it wasn't stuff I'd deliberately sought out & paid for, but stuff that people had kindly contributed back when I was running the shop. Not that they've stopped yet... it's all kindly meant, but I think I have to put a stop to it as nicely as I can! Plus of course there's the stuff that's come in as "also-rans" on job lots; sometimes I'll buy a box of fabric at the auction knowing that I'll use some of it for a current project, or sell on a few bits; I always plan to dispose of the rest promptly, but over the last few years I've been sidetracked a lot for one reason or another & quite often it hasn't happened.

Ah well, it's happening now! I have 3 bags of warm sturdy clothing to pass onto a local charity who take appropriate bits out to the refugees, and can sort out some more tomorrow afternoon. Along with the papercraft stuff, of course!
    Angie

GC Dec 18 - £214.45/£550
    Bulk-buy purse '18 £239.56/£250, pet & livestock food '18 £403.63/£300

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 11th Oct 18, 10:12 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 5,568 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    Lesson learned, yes, it's a beginning.
    You start with a couple of books, say, then every time you open a drawer or cupboard you're eyeing the contents and thinking, "do I really need that".

De-cluttering becomes a way of life!!
    • wort
    • By wort 12th Oct 18, 9:08 AM
    • 905 Posts
    • 11,065 Thanks
    wort
    LL, pleased to hear you've finally moved in, I hope you'll be very happy there, and build lots of new memories. X
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 13th Oct 18, 12:23 PM
    • 10,775 Posts
    • 69,754 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Thanks Wort. All went smoothly and I think I'm going to be very happy here. There's a lot to do but I'm going to take my time.

A declutter this weekend. Already loaded the car with unwanted paintings and mirrors for the charity shop on Monday.
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 14th Oct 18, 4:39 PM
    • 2,852 Posts
    • 35,498 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    There's a floor in my sewing room! And most of a day-bed visible now too... A couple of items have gone off with Freecyclers - I'm still waiting for the cushion pads to be picked up, though - and a large item sold via Ebay & was picked up at lunchtime, so I'm happy! At this rate I'll be able to mend my allotment jeans (again) before the day is out!
    Angie

GC Dec 18 - £214.45/£550
    Bulk-buy purse '18 £239.56/£250, pet & livestock food '18 £403.63/£300

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • adonis
    • By adonis 14th Oct 18, 5:05 PM
    • 810 Posts
    • 761 Thanks
    adonis
    One quick declutter condensed-kondo idea I recently read about was from a lady who quickly needed to move. She put a moving box in each room and filled it with the most important things from that room. The rest was 'optional' and most was donated.
    Originally posted by Siebrie

Here is the size box I would want

• Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 14th Oct 18, 9:09 PM
    • 1,067 Posts
    • 1,288 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    Good to see there are so many people trying to declutter - we have 5 sofas and have decided that 3 are not going with us , (or maybe only one won't ... )

I love the idea of the packing box in each room - mine would definitely be rather on the large side but at least it would limit things... a bit

Re the no clutter thread - is it OK to join this late in the year?
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 15th Oct 18, 7:07 AM
    • 1,278 Posts
    • 14,413 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    ABSOLUTELY NOT TOO LATE FLUGELHORN - looking forward to seeing you
    Last edited by Mrs Salad Dodger; 15-10-2018 at 7:11 AM.
    • Newly retired
    • By Newly retired 17th Oct 18, 8:26 AM
    • 2,394 Posts
    • 2,797 Thanks
    Newly retired
    I am sitting surrounded by the contents of the dining room and the contents of the hall, as we have got the decorators in. Eek!
    We downsized four years ago from a five bedroom house to a three bed and got rid of a huge amount of stuff. Endless trips to charity shops, recycling centre, two skips and a few pieces sold. After 34 years in that house the task was huge.
    Yet now I still know we have got too much stuff. My problem is DH. He is a collector. On top of each bookcase are at least 12 items( to dust) all precious, though not hugely valuable. Just too many.
    When looking for places to put boxes of Glasses and China from the dining room there was nowhere. The large garage is his workshop but not a square foot of flat surface. And I got ticked off for trying. DH has got one whole room for his study already.
    I dread to think how I am going to get rid of this stuff when he dies. It is not charity shop stuff.

I am so fed up of so much stuff that I have to live with and cannot get rid of. Some of it is quite nice! I am not a minimalist. I have an amount of my own clutter but working on my decluttering is a drop in the ocean.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 17th Oct 18, 9:38 AM
    • 10,775 Posts
    • 69,754 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Oh dear, NR. Still at least your husband has agreed to get the decorators in (i remember you had a bit of a battle with that one). so don't despair, you are making progress. .

Well I took a car full to the charity shop. Whilst there I bought a sideboard which I'm going to convert to a centre island unit for my kitchen. Then I will be able to get rid of a couple of wall cupboards so as to "open out" the room and make it look more spacious and airy. I will also then be able to have a nice blind rather than the tatty old curtains the vendor left, again letting more light into the room.

Slow but steady.....
    • Newly retired
    • By Newly retired 17th Oct 18, 10:02 AM
    • 2,394 Posts
    • 2,797 Thanks
    Newly retired
    Thanks, lesson learned.
    Once I finally managed to broach the subject of decorating he readily agreed, in theory, but has not been very helpful in getting it to happen. I had to do all the phone calls, texts etc, waiting in for people who promised to call, and some didn’t. Then in preparing the rooms, I have had to spell out to him exactly what he needed to do, that if didn’t clear his things, they would, and would damage them, which brought it home to him. Now he is fully on board and almost ahead of the game, though not without a huge amount of grumbling and huffing and puffing. I hope it is all worth it in the end.
    Perhaps when he has to put things back he will realise just how much stuff there is.
    • Newly retired
    • By Newly retired 17th Oct 18, 10:03 AM
    • 2,394 Posts
    • 2,797 Thanks
    Newly retired
    Sorry, LL, I meant to say, glad to read you have moved and best wishes for settling in to your new home and getting it how you want it.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 17th Oct 18, 10:38 AM
    • 10,775 Posts
    • 69,754 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    That's ok. No worries it's all going well.

It's a money pit but I'm enjoying every minute of the renovations. I just love rescuing old wrecks and restoring them to their former glory.

As for you having to organise everything, well to me that's better than letting someone else take responsibility and then they screw up.

But then I'm a control freak.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 22nd Oct 18, 12:06 AM
    • 1,278 Posts
    • 14,413 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    That's ok. No worries it's all going well.

It's a money pit but I'm enjoying every minute of the renovations. I just love rescuing old wrecks and restoring them to their former glory.

As for you having to organise everything, well to me that's better than letting someone else take responsibility and then they screw up.

But then I'm a control freak.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    Lessonlearned - I love it - you sound so happy with the renovating even joking about decluttering money
    I am with you on the ‘control freak’ bandwagon I do like to organise & then supervise if required

My decluttering has stalled as we are currently sorting out the outside spaces ready for the winter. Hopefully we should be finished by the end of the week - weather permitting Then back into the house decluttering

How are you doing Flugelhorn?

MrsSD
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 22nd Oct 18, 8:55 AM
    • 10,775 Posts
    • 69,754 Thanks
    lessonlearned

We control freaks get a bad press, we need to stick together.

I've just about done with the outside - for now, but the shed needs a big sort out. The vendor left it half full with her treasures. I'll need a skip so I'll wait until next year when I get the building work done and tackle it then. Skip hire is expensive so don't want to hire one twice if I can avoid it.

I had a productive weekend, turning the small third bedroom into a study/ workroom so I'm pretty straight for now, although I shall steadily declutter and fine tune as I go.

I think my decluttering will be an ongoing process for some time yet.
    • Newly retired
    • By Newly retired 29th Oct 18, 9:36 AM
    • 2,394 Posts
    • 2,797 Thanks
    Newly retired
    Decorators have finished and gone, new stair carpet has been laid, and we have just about got everything back to normal.
    I have cleared out a few things in the process, waiting to be taken to charity shop for the most part.
    Most amazingly, DH has NOT put some of his things back where they were! He has also cleared out about 30 books ( a drop in the ocean of course but it is a start. )
    I must concentrate on getting my paperwork sorted. I have accumulated a big pile whilst I could not get to my desk. I am toying with transferring my workplace to the small spare bedroom but that will need some work and careful thought.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,197Posts Today

8,561Users online

Martin's Twitter