PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Feels like a mammoth declutter needed

Options

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I took a van-load of stuff to our local scrap store today; fabric, wool, spinning/felting fibre, canvas, haberdashery - and have put some bits they wouldn't have been so pleased with up on Freecycle - old feather cushion pads, etc. Next to go will be some of my paper collection! I do make cards, I scrapbook (but not in the American style) and I also make handmade books, and have accumulated far more than I can possibly use.

Interestingly, I realised as I parted with the stuff that an awful lot of it had been given to me; it wasn't stuff I'd deliberately sought out & paid for, but stuff that people had kindly contributed back when I was running the shop. Not that they've stopped yet... it's all kindly meant, but I think I have to put a stop to it as nicely as I can! Plus of course there's the stuff that's come in as "also-rans" on job lots; sometimes I'll buy a box of fabric at the auction knowing that I'll use some of it for a current project, or sell on a few bits; I always plan to dispose of the rest promptly, but over the last few years I've been sidetracked a lot for one reason or another & quite often it hasn't happened.

Ah well, it's happening now! I have 3 bags of warm sturdy clothing to pass onto a local charity who take appropriate bits out to the refugees, and can sort out some more tomorrow afternoon. Along with the papercraft stuff, of course!
    Angie - GC May 24 £50.58/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • ScarletRibbons
    Options
    Lesson learned, yes, it's a beginning.
    You start with a couple of books, say, then every time you open a drawer or cupboard you're eyeing the contents and thinking, "do I really need that".

De-cluttering becomes a way of life!!
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LL, pleased to hear you've finally moved in, I hope you'll be very happy there, and build lots of new memories. X
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks Wort. All went smoothly and I think I'm going to be very happy here. There's a lot to do but I'm going to take my time.

A declutter this weekend. Already loaded the car with unwanted paintings and mirrors for the charity shop on Monday.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's a floor in my sewing room! And most of a day-bed visible now too... A couple of items have gone off with Freecyclers - I'm still waiting for the cushion pads to be picked up, though - and a large item sold via Ebay & was picked up at lunchtime, so I'm happy! At this rate I'll be able to mend my allotment jeans (again) before the day is out!
    Angie - GC May 24 £50.58/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Siebrie wrote: »
    One quick declutter condensed-kondo idea I recently read about was from a lady who quickly needed to move. She put a moving box in each room and filled it with the most important things from that room. The rest was 'optional' and most was donated.

Here is the size box I would want:p

Hyundai_Boxes17.jpg
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good to see there are so many people trying to declutter - we have 5 sofas and have decided that 3 are not going with us , (or maybe only one won't ... )

I love the idea of the packing box in each room - mine would definitely be rather on the large side but at least it would limit things... a bit

Re the no clutter thread - is it OK to join this late in the year?
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 October 2018 at 7:11AM
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY NOT TOO LATE FLUGELHORN - looking forward to seeing you :T
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Newly_retired
    Options
    I am sitting surrounded by the contents of the dining room and the contents of the hall, as we have got the decorators in. Eek!
    We downsized four years ago from a five bedroom house to a three bed and got rid of a huge amount of stuff. Endless trips to charity shops, recycling centre, two skips and a few pieces sold. After 34 years in that house the task was huge.
    Yet now I still know we have got too much stuff. My problem is DH. He is a collector. On top of each bookcase are at least 12 items( to dust) all precious, though not hugely valuable. Just too many.
    When looking for places to put boxes of Glasses and China from the dining room there was nowhere. The large garage is his workshop but not a square foot of flat surface. And I got ticked off for trying. DH has got one whole room for his study already.
    I dread to think how I am going to get rid of this stuff when he dies. It is not charity shop stuff.

I am so fed up of so much stuff that I have to live with and cannot get rid of. Some of it is quite nice! I am not a minimalist. I have an amount of my own clutter but working on my decluttering is a drop in the ocean.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh dear, NR. Still at least your husband has agreed to get the decorators in (i remember you had a bit of a battle with that one). so don't despair, you are making progress. :D.

Well I took a car full to the charity shop. Whilst there I bought a sideboard which I'm going to convert to a centre island unit for my kitchen. Then I will be able to get rid of a couple of wall cupboards so as to "open out" the room and make it look more spacious and airy. I will also then be able to have a nice blind rather than the tatty old curtains the vendor left, again letting more light into the room.

Slow but steady.....;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport