Car Hire Spare Wheel Intrigue

Options
Hello.
Interesting experience with Goldcar at Orio al Serio (Bergamo). Rented a car off them through DoYouItaly. Checked the car over (didn't check if the spare wheel was in the boot) - and all seemed in order, except the middle rear seat, which was raised on collection.

When I returned the car, they claimed I had lost the spare wheel and sent me a bill.

Given how little the car was used, there was simply no way the wheel could have been taken from the car while we had it, and we had no cause to get it out of the car.

The Goldcar branch at Bergamo referred us to Customer Services, who have yet to reply 3 days later. DoYouItaly have also not responded to my email, well over a week later.

I have excess insurance from Chew, but I'd prefer not to claim unnecessarily, and I'm not sure whether the insurance will cover a bill, effectively an enforced charge, which has been charged to my card rather than withheld from the returned security deposit.

Any ideas? For the record, my guess is that the spare wheel was taken for another car in the fleet because of the faulty rear seat (a member of staff likely assumed it would not be hired out).

All the best
AM

Comments

• stevie11
    Options
    Does that model of car actually have a spare? Goldcar are notorious for trying it on with customers.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 September 2018 at 1:28PM
    Options
    Does that model of car actually have a spare? Goldcar are notorious for trying it on with customers.
    Going by this advice, it would appear that a spare wheel is mandatory in Italy.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/italy/

I can't see rules for visitors being different from Italian residents.

Therefore the central issue is - was the spare in the car when collected - and was it noted as missing by Goldcar staff on return.........rather than sometime after the car had been handed in ?
  • alexmoo75
    Options
    I have to admit, I didn't check whether the spare wheel was in the car when we collected it - it just didn't occur to me to look.

The car was inspected after we had left Italy, as our flight departed before the Goldcar office opened.

Interesting that the earlier reply says they are famous for trying this on - I will research that some more - any comments on that particular issue very welcome too!

Ta

Alex
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    If you Google Goldcar complaints there are numerous hits, including a dedicated site.

http://goldcarcomplaints.com/
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having rented cars on all my package holidays for the last 40 years, I'll admit that I've never thought to check the spare. Will do from now on though.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Having rented cars all over the world for business and pleasure for the last 40 years I've always checked the spare wheel - and the presence of jack and tools needed to do a wheel change. Don't forget to check for the locking wheelnut key, if it has them.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • alexmoo75
    Options
    I've added my story to the litany.....
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    Having rented cars on all my package holidays for the last 40 years, I'll admit that I've never thought to check the spare. Will do from now on though.
    Plus the essential equipment to change a flat that should come with the vehicle.

Also the mandatory red triangular warning sign and high viz jacket etc., if appropriate.
  • alexmoo75
    Options
    Well, it all appears to have come to a satisfactory conclusion. DoYouItaly (finally) got back to me and spoke to Goldcar. I then also emailed Goldcar at Bergamo asking for photographic proof of the missing spare wheel (taken at such an angle to include the number plate). I then followed up with DoYouItaly to see if they had been successful on my behalf and mentioned in passing that I was planning legal action against Goldcar. A week later, I got an email from DoYouItaly telling me that Goldcar would refund the charge.
    If that doesn't come through, I'll be back)
    Meanwhile, my thanks to all who posted their thoughts and advice above. Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure