Mobile Phone Insurance for purchases from eBay

Options
I recently purchased a reconditioned iPhone 7 for my daughters 18th birthday on eBay. I was looking at insuring the phone for loss/theft/damage as these devices are not cheap!
Looking at the MSE website for mobile phone insurance (https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-mobile-phone-insurance/#allphones) it seems to be that you can only get insurance for phones that are at most 6 months old or bought from new. Does anyone know or recommend insurance companies that will provide decent reconditioned iPhone 7 insurance at a reasonable price that has been bought from eBay?

Comments

• Korkyb
    Korkyb Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 14 September 2018 at 7:43AM
    Options
    Not sure if it meets your needs but the Nationwide Flex Plus account provides mobile phone cover for 4 phones in the family (account is £13 per month but gives other benefits i.e. Travel Insurance / breakdown cover & 3% interest up to £2500).

Both my daughters iPhones were bought from eBay & both have been broken in the last 7 months.

The claims went through without any problem & Nationwide didn't appear to mind that the phone was bought second hand.

They didn't actually ask me to provide proof of ownership - One of the advisors said they were able to confirm ownership through the network provider & how long the phone number / SIM had been used in the phone. (I'd be interested to know how that works if its true!).

It does only cover dependent children who live at the same address as the account holder so may not cover your daughter if she doesn't stay with you or is working. (unless she opens an account).

£13 per month for worldwide mobile insurance covering 4 phones (and allowing up to 4 claims per year) seems pretty good value especially taking into account the other stuff you get.

The mobile insurance also covers breakdown/faults which is useful if phones are out of warranty. (It is almost like an extended warranty!).

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/flexplus/insurances-and-benefits#tab:mobile-phone-insurance

I've mentioned this account on a few threads about mobile insurance & and am starting to wonder if I should be asking Nationwide for some comission :-)
    Was it really "everybody" that was Kung Fu fighting ???
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What they say about proof of ownership:

Documentation which details the phone and/or accessories which you, or your
    Family members, are responsible for. The mobile phone proof of ownership must
    show the: IMEI number, make, model and memory size. This could include sales
    documentation or a mobile phone statement.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wmjpower wrote: »
    I recently purchased a reconditioned iPhone 7 for my daughters 18th birthday on eBay. I was looking at insuring the phone for loss/theft/damage as these devices are not cheap!
    Looking at the MSE website for mobile phone insurance (https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-mobile-phone-insurance/#allphones) it seems to be that you can only get insurance for phones that are at most 6 months old or bought from new. Does anyone know or recommend insurance companies that will provide decent reconditioned iPhone 7 insurance at a reasonable price that has been bought from eBay?

Depending on the underwriter there is usually a maximum age of the mobile phone to get insurance so you will need to look at the terms of the policy very carefully.

But do you really need the insurance? If you are expecting the phone to be lost, stolen or damaged any time soon then insurance is a good buy. Otherwise it's money down the drain. You would be better putting the proposed annual premium in a savings account every year and paying for unforeseen damage out of that. Consider for example that an iPhone screen can be replaced by most high street mobile phone shops for under £30. But of course if you make a habit of dropping your phone and breaking the screen insurance might be a good deal.

Here's what M.S.E. says about it:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-mobile-phone-insurance/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family