Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frth
    • By Frth 12th Sep 18, 8:46 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Frth
    No viewings in 6 weeks, drop price?
    • 12th Sep 18, 8:46 PM
    No viewings in 6 weeks, drop price? 12th Sep 18 at 8:46 PM
    How has been up for sale 6 weeks and we've had no interest at all. Not even a sniff.

Should we reduce the price now? Or wait a bit?
Page 1
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 12th Sep 18, 8:52 PM
    • 10,557 Posts
    • 12,071 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 12th Sep 18, 8:52 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 8:52 PM
    Are you bold enough to post a rightmove reference? You wont be able to post a direct link so give enough details to make it easy to find.
    If not a single viewing in 6 weeks I'd say wait until the end of this month (traditionally sales interest is low in August and only picks up in Sep so in some respects you've only had a week and a bit) and then take a fair chunk off.
    Is there anything you would say is likely to put people off?

How did you arrive at the price you are advertising it at?
    • Frth
    • By Frth 12th Sep 18, 9:06 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Frth
    • 12th Sep 18, 9:06 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 9:06 PM
    The only feedback we had was that because it's an ex council house that had put people off. But it is priced really low I think.
    We decided on a middle price between what 4 estate agents had recommended.

I'll post details here for it but before I do I don't want to be an idiot is there any reason not too? it's online anyway so I can't see why not post it?
    The online advert is superb though. It's looks really good
    • jonnygee2
    • By jonnygee2 12th Sep 18, 10:02 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    jonnygee2
    • 12th Sep 18, 10:02 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 10:02 PM
    I'll post details here for it but before I do I don't want to be an idiot is there any reason not too? i
    Not really, thousands of threads are on here with the link.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 12th Sep 18, 10:03 PM
    • 5,612 Posts
    • 7,891 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 12th Sep 18, 10:03 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 10:03 PM
    Do you know what sales are like in the area.., are there other properties advertised for extended periods?

However, even so, it probably is price. Have you asked the estate agent?
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 12th Sep 18, 10:11 PM
    • 4,856 Posts
    • 7,213 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 12th Sep 18, 10:11 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 10:11 PM
    How does the price compare to similar houses that are not ex council houses? If it is on at the same price or more expensive people will buy those first.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 12th Sep 18, 10:18 PM
    • 6,514 Posts
    • 2,438 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    • 12th Sep 18, 10:18 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 10:18 PM
    How has been up for sale 6 weeks and we've had no interest at all. Not even a sniff.

Should we reduce the price now? Or wait a bit?
    Originally posted by Frth

The higher interest rates go the lower prices will go, don`t wait make a decision and act now. If there is absolutely no interest it is most likely price IMO.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 12th Sep 18, 10:40 PM
    • 6,962 Posts
    • 6,649 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 12th Sep 18, 10:40 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 10:40 PM
    there are only 2 real reasons why property gets no views:

1. there is no one looking for your sort of house, in your area, at this time of year.
    Your EA should be able to answer that given we can ignore that no one knows about it since it is on Rightmove

or

2. Your competitors offer better value for money so why bother even coming to see you - have you studied them and worked out your strengths and their weaknesses and married that against what has actually sold in the last 1 - 2 months?
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 12th Sep 18, 10:43 PM
    • 1,055 Posts
    • 1,297 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 12th Sep 18, 10:43 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 10:43 PM
    If nothing else your location might give a clue.
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 12th Sep 18, 10:56 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    OP if you're brave enough to post the link, you'll get a lot of helpful/blunt/constructive advice. I umm'd and ahh'd for a wee while before putting mine up on here, but I'm glad I did.

Some people don't sugar-coat it though, so if you want people to be gentle, ask and they will
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 13th Sep 18, 1:45 AM
    • 33,043 Posts
    • 19,924 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Do a more like this.

Look at some examples I put on other threads it will give a clue where you should be priced.
    • SG27
    • By SG27 13th Sep 18, 7:08 AM
    • 2,447 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    SG27
    I had 3 viewings first week then nothing so I dropped the price after about 3 weeks. Had another 3 viewings booked straight in and sold straight away!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Sep 18, 8:27 AM
    • 26,126 Posts
    • 94,827 Thanks
    Davesnave
    The online advert is superb though. It's looks really good
    Originally posted by Frth
    It looks good to you, but not to the people who are actively searching for your kind of property in your location, or they'd have come to view by now.

Ask yourself, "Is it likely no one here is looking for a house like this?" It could be true on a Hebridean island, but unless there is an unusual feature related to the area where you live, it's probable people are seeing the ad.

What does your agent say about the number of hits on it?
    I might be old, but I got to see a lot of good bands...
    • SmashedAvacado
    • By SmashedAvacado 13th Sep 18, 8:53 AM
    • 265 Posts
    • 322 Thanks
    SmashedAvacado
    Ask the agent to identify the other houses they have in the same range of price as yours + or - 20%
    Ask the agent how many viewings each of those houses has had in the last six weeks and how many offers each has had.
    It might be that there are no buyers in your area and that dropping the price wouldnt make a difference
    it might be that your house is performing less well than others, and that might lead to a price drop being a good thing
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Sep 18, 8:56 AM
    • 64,184 Posts
    • 376,698 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Ask another couple of agents round to value it - tell them you're thinking of changing agent... see what they say. Then speak to your agent.
    Ask all three about the price/local market.... they'll know if their phone's stopped ringing... or if your house is overpriced .... or if the market's changed.

Do you watch/monitor the progress of other houses "like yours" within a 3 mile radius - to see/compare their adverts and if they're selling? Maybe nobody is selling in your area at any price.

A lot of people don't look during "the summer holiday weeks" ...
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 14th Sep 18, 6:11 PM
    • 6,514 Posts
    • 2,438 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    I had 3 viewings first week then nothing so I dropped the price after about 3 weeks. Had another 3 viewings booked straight in and sold straight away!
    Originally posted by SG27

Dropping the price can often be the least stressful route to take, although it may not seem like it at the time.
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 14th Sep 18, 7:09 PM
    • 4,466 Posts
    • 6,208 Thanks
    kinger101
    Very likely it's the price. Unless you have a home that only suits certain people. E.g., only horsey types are going to want stables.

Nobody wants to visit a property if they see no middle ground on the price.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 14th Sep 18, 9:58 PM
    • 6,514 Posts
    • 2,438 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Very likely it's the price. Unless you have a home that only suits certain people. E.g., only horsey types are going to want stables.

Nobody wants to visit a property if they see no middle ground on the price.
    Originally posted by kinger101

What do you mean by "middle ground"?
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 15th Sep 18, 3:27 AM
    • 33,043 Posts
    • 19,924 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Middle ground is a price that both can see as reasonable from the others starting points.
    • Running Horse
    • By Running Horse 15th Sep 18, 10:46 AM
    • 10,559 Posts
    • 21,222 Thanks
    Running Horse
    Only post a link if you want pages of people critiquing paint colours and photography skills.

It's the price. If it's not the price, it's the price.
    I was present at wreath-laying but don't think I was involved.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,197Posts Today

8,980Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin