Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Newhome1
    • By Newhome1 11th Sep 18, 9:36 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Newhome1
    Data Breach - medical records and personal information
    • 11th Sep 18, 9:36 PM
    Data Breach - medical records and personal information 11th Sep 18 at 9:36 PM
    Hi all,

I want your opinion, I was going through an employment tribunal and the solicitor sent the court bundle (which included my full medical report, full details on me and salary details) by standard post. The bundle was never received and the solicitor referred us to the post. I want to be compensated for this major error, god know who has my data.

What does everyone think?
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 11th Sep 18, 10:01 PM
    • 21,395 Posts
    • 17,218 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 11th Sep 18, 10:01 PM
    • 11th Sep 18, 10:01 PM
    What financial loss have you suffered, because that's what you can claim. Otherwise, report it to the ICO.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 11th Sep 18, 11:18 PM
    • 16,509 Posts
    • 12,631 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 11th Sep 18, 11:18 PM
    • 11th Sep 18, 11:18 PM
    How do you think it should have been sent?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Sep 18, 12:45 AM
    • 27,963 Posts
    • 11,359 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 12th Sep 18, 12:45 AM
    • 12th Sep 18, 12:45 AM
    Is there a any delivery method that guarantee's that the parcel wont get lost or damaged?

2 data protection breach threads from old users seems fishy.
    Last edited by forgotmyname; 12-09-2018 at 12:49 AM.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 13th Sep 18, 2:54 PM
    • 3,263 Posts
    • 3,392 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 13th Sep 18, 2:54 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 2:54 PM
    The DX System is often used by lawyers to send documents between legal offices. https://www.dxdelivery.com
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Sep 18, 2:58 PM
    • 21,395 Posts
    • 17,218 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th Sep 18, 2:58 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 2:58 PM
    The DX System is often used by lawyers to send documents between legal offices. https://www.dxdelivery.com
    Originally posted by LadyDee

That's a good point, and what we don't know is who the recipient of the documents was: if it was the OP then DX won't apply, but if it was the ET then they might possibly be on the DX system.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 14th Sep 18, 3:31 PM
    • 3,576 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 14th Sep 18, 3:31 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 3:31 PM
    Hi all,

I want your opinion, I was going through an employment tribunal and the solicitor sent the court bundle (which included my full medical report, full details on me and salary details) by standard post. The bundle was never received and the solicitor referred us to the post. I want to be compensated for this major error, god know who has my data.

Originally posted by Newhome1
    "God" (if you are in to deities might) but you don't know if anybody has!

Recorded delivery is little more secure, it only gets a squiggle from whoever answers the door and doesn't prove delivery to a specific individual.

What do you expect them to do? Send it by some highly expensive secure service that demands to see proof of identity before handing it over?

Yes it is unfortunate but occasionally things like this happen!

Compensation? For what? Unless you can prove negligence and you have suffered a quantifiable loss forget it!
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 17th Sep 18, 5:43 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 2,461 Thanks
    parkrunner
    • 17th Sep 18, 5:43 PM
    • 17th Sep 18, 5:43 PM
    Things happen, you haven't lost anything, get over it.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 17th Sep 18, 5:56 PM
    • 9,354 Posts
    • 7,028 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 17th Sep 18, 5:56 PM
    • 17th Sep 18, 5:56 PM
    Not everything in life leads to compensation you know.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 19th Sep 18, 8:23 AM
    • 8,676 Posts
    • 7,912 Thanks
    -taff
    Hi all,

I would keep an eye on your credit report, but if you did get compensation, the maximum is about 200 to 250 I think.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 19th Sep 18, 10:58 AM
    • 5,253 Posts
    • 5,169 Thanks
    DoaM
    I've seen at least one court case where a data breach (in respect of a private parking invoice) gained the injured party £750. But the usual amount is around £250.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 19th Sep 18, 1:15 PM
    • 3,429 Posts
    • 5,064 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Probably happens more than you think. Some years ago, we received someone's medical report on our home fax machine. Seems the fax number of the hospital department it was intended for differed from ours by one digit. Next door neighbour at the time worked as a nurse at the said hospital, so I just gave it to her.

The patient almost certainly never knew.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 19th Sep 18, 1:37 PM
    • 5,253 Posts
    • 5,169 Thanks
    DoaM
    differed from ours by one digit.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    A colleague has the same issue with their phone number and that of a local take-away. Apparently it can be amusing it first but soon becomes tiresome.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • likelyfran
    • By likelyfran 19th Sep 18, 6:41 PM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 1,463 Thanks
    likelyfran
    How do you think it should have been sent?
    Originally posted by hollydays

I would say that for such sensitive data, it obviously should have been sent Special Delivery!
    *Look for advice, not 'advise'*
    *Could/should/would HAVE please!*

“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” ~ Krishnamurti.

• likelyfran
    • By likelyfran 19th Sep 18, 6:47 PM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 1,463 Thanks
    likelyfran
    Hi all,

Well, don't worry OP, one person here thinks your post is valid.
    I would be very annoyed if this happened to me - perhaps the other posters here would be fine with all and sundry seeing their private medical records?

Putting 'compensation' aside - mention of which has no doubt has been a red rag to people here, and reading between the lines, your solicitor sounds to have a rubbish attitude, and they should have regarded this as a serious matter and given a sincere apology to you - which they haven't, I'm assuming, hence you coming here for a friendly ear and advice. Ahem ..

But then, if they'd regarded clients' confidential information as important and had half a brain, they would have sent the information through the post as at the very least Signed For - though ideally by Special Delivery. Items sent in these ways are less likely to get lost than standard post.
    *Look for advice, not 'advise'*
    *Could/should/would HAVE please!*

“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” ~ Krishnamurti.

• photome
    • By photome 19th Sep 18, 7:23 PM
    • 13,584 Posts
    • 9,091 Thanks
    photome
    The OP obviously isn’t bothered as they haven’t been back since they posted 8 days ago
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 19th Sep 18, 8:33 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 2,461 Thanks
    parkrunner
    Well, don't worry OP, one person here thinks your post is valid.
    I would be very annoyed if this happened to me - perhaps the other posters here would be fine with all and sundry seeing their private medical records?

Putting 'compensation' aside - mention of which has no doubt has been a red rag to people here, and reading between the lines, your solicitor sounds to have a rubbish attitude, and they should have regarded this as a serious matter and given a sincere apology to you - which they haven't, I'm assuming, hence you coming here for a friendly ear and advice. Ahem ..

But then, if they'd regarded clients' confidential information as important and had half a brain, they would have sent the information through the post asat the very least Signed For - though ideally by Special Delivery. Items sent in these ways are less likely to get lost than standard post.
    Originally posted by likelyfran

Yes annoying but no more than that.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 20th Sep 18, 8:34 AM
    • 21,395 Posts
    • 17,218 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I'm assuming, hence you coming here for a friendly ear and advice. Ahem ..
    Originally posted by likelyfran

Which they received in the very first reply, report it to the ICO.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,524Posts Today

9,349Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin