Data Breach - medical records and personal information

Options
Hi all,

I want your opinion, I was going through an employment tribunal and the solicitor sent the court bundle (which included my full medical report, full details on me and salary details) by standard post. The bundle was never received and the solicitor referred us to the post. I want to be compensated for this major error, god know who has my data.

What does everyone think?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What financial loss have you suffered, because that's what you can claim. Otherwise, report it to the ICO.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How do you think it should have been sent?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 September 2018 at 12:49AM
    Options
    Is there a any delivery method that guarantee's that the parcel wont get lost or damaged?

2 data protection breach threads from old users seems fishy.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The DX System is often used by lawyers to send documents between legal offices. https://www.dxdelivery.com
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    The DX System is often used by lawyers to send documents between legal offices. https://www.dxdelivery.com

That's a good point, and what we don't know is who the recipient of the documents was: if it was the OP then DX won't apply, but if it was the ET then they might possibly be on the DX system.
  • Undervalued
    Options
    Newhome1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I want your opinion, I was going through an employment tribunal and the solicitor sent the court bundle (which included my full medical report, full details on me and salary details) by standard post. The bundle was never received and the solicitor referred us to the post. I want to be compensated for this major error, god know who has my data.

"God" (if you are in to deities might) but you don't know if anybody has!

Recorded delivery is little more secure, it only gets a squiggle from whoever answers the door and doesn't prove delivery to a specific individual.

What do you expect them to do? Send it by some highly expensive secure service that demands to see proof of identity before handing it over?

Yes it is unfortunate but occasionally things like this happen!

Compensation? For what? Unless you can prove negligence and you have suffered a quantifiable loss forget it!
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Things happen, you haven't lost anything, get over it.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not everything in life leads to compensation you know.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Newhome1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I would keep an eye on your credit report, but if you did get compensation, the maximum is about 200 to 250 I think.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I've seen at least one court case where a data breach (in respect of a private parking invoice) gained the injured party £750. But the usual amount is around £250.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure