Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DaveCB
    • By DaveCB 3rd Sep 18, 6:41 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    DaveCB
    Funeral Plan alternative
    • 3rd Sep 18, 6:41 AM
    Funeral Plan alternative 3rd Sep 18 at 6:41 AM
    Hi All,
    Sorry if this question has already been posted but if it has I cant find it.
    I'm 53 and am now having to consider planning for my funeral, but the problem is I just cant get myself motivated with the plans currently available, where the pay out is less than you pay in.
    Anybody know of any alternative plans or schemes that provide better pay-out?
    Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 3rd Sep 18, 6:55 AM
    • 33,685 Posts
    • 39,808 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 3rd Sep 18, 6:55 AM
    • 3rd Sep 18, 6:55 AM
    Good old fashioned savings account
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 3rd Sep 18, 8:56 AM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 1,501 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    • 3rd Sep 18, 8:56 AM
    • 3rd Sep 18, 8:56 AM
    I have just paid for mine with the co op they are the only ones to include all third party payments.
    • itude
    • By itude 5th Sep 18, 1:09 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    itude
    • 5th Sep 18, 1:09 PM
    • 5th Sep 18, 1:09 PM
    What is reasonable price to pay for a plan which has no frills such as Limousines, but all other costs ( obviously not wakes and ob columns)
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 6th Sep 18, 10:30 AM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 1,501 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    • 6th Sep 18, 10:30 AM
    • 6th Sep 18, 10:30 AM
    Simple funeral with the co op cost me 2845.
    Look up all pre paid funerals online will give you the prices
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 6th Sep 18, 12:00 PM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 1,232 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 6th Sep 18, 12:00 PM
    • 6th Sep 18, 12:00 PM
    I would save into a regular savings account and specify in your will that your funeral must cost no more than is in that account. :-)
    • venison
    • By venison 12th Oct 18, 11:15 PM
    • 2,441 Posts
    • 2,731 Thanks
    venison
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:15 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:15 PM
    Simple funeral with the co op cost me 2845.
    Look up all pre paid funerals online will give you the prices
    Originally posted by luvchocolate
    Ive seen the co-op advertising simple funeral for 1995 recently.
    https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/remembrance/
    • wymondham
    • By wymondham 22nd Oct 18, 4:40 PM
    • 5,195 Posts
    • 9,270 Thanks
    wymondham
    • 22nd Oct 18, 4:40 PM
    • 22nd Oct 18, 4:40 PM
    These all seem expensive. Can I opt to be put in the brown bin for recycling? we pay 30 a year for that.. seriously, something has got to be done with the cost of funerals...
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 22nd Oct 18, 5:33 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 2,093 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 22nd Oct 18, 5:33 PM
    • 22nd Oct 18, 5:33 PM
    If you were to die tomorrow would there be enough cash - at bank, building society, life insurance, premium bonds - to pay for your funeral ?

If so IMO don't bother with a Savings Plan.

If not - paying for your funeral isn't going to be your problem anyway. I appreciate that many people, perhaps including yourself, don't want to pass any problem to your family.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 22nd Oct 18, 6:25 PM
    • 21,230 Posts
    • 17,053 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Do what I've done and contact your local medical school's anatomy department to leave your body to them for students to play Operation (TM) with after you die - if they take it then they pay for cremation after the students have finished with it.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 22nd Oct 18, 7:51 PM
    • 8,666 Posts
    • 9,903 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Information at
    https://www.hta.gov.uk/donating-your-body

Note you usually have to die within the local area of an accepting medical school, not of any nasty diseases, and preferably Mon-Fri during office hours :-)
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,399Posts Today

8,342Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Pownerpuff: @MartinSLewis thanks to your guidance, my monthly outgoings (bills) are £400 cheaper PER MONTH than they were 2 years ago!!?

• The programme is primarily aimed at parents not kids. But I think mid teens upwards is likely fine https://t.co/SIJczfKJW8

• Even if u don't have kids, Id love u to watch my 10 things ur kids need to know doco tonight ITV 9pm. It mixes mone? https://t.co/YIqNbllX8h

• Follow Martin